The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New D800E owner

glocke12

So, back story is I have had a D7000 sine Jan 2011, and also have had the FX 24-70 and 70-200 VRII since the summer of 2011 since I knew I would eventually end up at an FX camera anyway.

Last weekend I picked up a D800, and almost immediately had buyers remorse. I knew the differences before hand, but did not think it would make a significant difference, and I also was not in the mood to spend another few hundred bucks.
After a week of taking some fairly decent photos with it the buyers remorse did not go away so I exchanged it for the D800E.

I was out and about with it yesterday and even had a chance to take some night shots. Here are a few, some are JPEGS right off the camera, others are RAW files that have been fiddled with .

5 shot HDR..

This was really my first attempt at night photography. Late yesterday I went for a drive and ended up at HIckory Run State Park, about 90 minutes away from me. Even though much of the park is closed for winter, a park ranger directed me to an area I could setup and not be bothered. The light pollution is a bummer, and I tried dealing with it in photoshop, but in the end I was not happy with the results and I also think it kind of lends an eerie atmosphere.

now this one was the very first photo out of the camera, and this is "only" a jpeg. Focus point was the door on the left front of the barn. I did a similar shot with the D800 when I first got it. It was on a different day, but the time of day and lighting conditions were similar. The D800E just seems to me to be sharper and is rendering colors better than the D800 was…Of course since this was not done side by side that could all be subjective.

I am fairly happy with these and I know that as time goes on I will get better, although I think I still need to work more on PP in order to get the real eye popping affect I see some people achieve with their photos.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The actual difference in image is minuscule, so IMHO the difference most folks notice is 90% mental :D. Nice images regardless.

glocke12

The actual difference in image is minuscule, so IMHO the difference most folks notice is 90% mental :D. Nice images regardless.
Well, if you were to talk to my ex, she would say I am 90% mental :D

After I came home with the D800, I probably ended up reading every comparison thread that exists for these two cameras and pretty much came to the conclusion that while I did detect a difference in even non cropped images, that the differences are very, very minor and I could probably live with it. In the end though buyers remorse got the best of me and told myself that I am already spending thousands on a camera, I'd be any idiot to not just spend the extra couple of hundred on the E at that point.

The shop was great with the return also…Had to pay a small (very small) restocking fee, but thats ok.