The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lomogrpahy Petzval lens

BlinkingEye

I have completed a user review of the Lomogrpahy Petzval lens. I was fortunate enough to have been quite early in the que for their Kickstarter funding campaign.

I would like to post it here. It is a length document with eight photos. How do I attach a PDF file to a post? Thanks.

Pierrard

You could upload it to Google Docs and post a link; I don't know if you can attach a pdf to a post here though.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jan is correct -- if it's a good article, submit it. PM me a link to it online or email it to me and perhaps we can use it as a front page article ;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Article received and in queue, should be up in a day or two!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The article is now on the frontpage -- nice report Blinking Eye!

BlinkingEye

Thanks, Jack! I appreciate it. GetDPI.com is a great website, with great info. Again, thanks.

Last edited:

segedi

Nice writeup - and what a nice surprise for you!
Not seeing the swirl that you would get with medium or large format but a nice portrait lens nonetheless.

I recently plunked my money down for the Petzvar Kickstarter and will be playing the waiting game as well. Want to pickup a cheap Kiev based body to play with too.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I snagged one of these in Nikon mount off eBay with all the goodies on a buy-it-now with a modest upcharge. I've posted these images in the Yosemite scouting thread, but figured I'd post them here for thread posterity on the lens.

Both of these were taken on the D800E with the f2.8 waterstop in place, B&W conversions in C1:

Here is the same image above with the f4 stop processed identically otherwise. As you can see the image sharpens up and the effect is attenuated quite a bit:

I've discovered that the f2.2 effect is very heavy, the f2.8 here remains a little strong for my tastes, but the f4 effect is perhaps a little too weak for some. F5.6 and 8 it starts to behave like a sort of non-spectacular or vanilla 85. I am going to drill out my f16 and 22 stops to around f3.5 and 4.5 for tweener stop effects to expand the range of effects I want to use this lens for.

BlinkingEye

Here is the same image above with the f4 stop processed identically otherwise. As you can see the image sharpens up and the effect is attenuated quite a bit:

I've discovered that the f2.2 effect is very heavy, the f2.8 here remains a little strong for my tastes, but the f4 effect is perhaps a little too weak for some. F5.6 and 8 it starts to behave like a sort of non-spectacular or vanilla 85. I am going to drill out my f16 and 22 stops to around f3.5 and 4.5 for tweener stop effects to expand the range of effects I want to use this lens for.
Your results mirror my own. By f/4 you are good to go. Please let me know how drilling out the aperture plates works out. I hope you are successful. As an engineer, I see that project being fraught with disaster. I hope I am wrong.