The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Scouting the Yosemite Workshop

D&A

LOL...How right you are Graham! Just one thing...will you all still be there by the time I complete my trek :). Seriously, looking forward to seeing all your great images.

Dave (D&A)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
One more, my quick take on possibly the most iconic shot from Yosemite:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Question is, how many of you folks ended up on your butt slipping on that ice sheet you were all standing on? :ROTFL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
LOL, yes it was certainly nasty footing there, but fortunately none of us fell prey to it -- and of course we were all lamenting we'd left our Yak Trax at home because of no snow ;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
A couple more from yesterday in the Merced Grove of Giant Sequoias:

D800E with 17-35 at 35:

D800E with 17-35 at 17:

stevew50

We need Rain and Snow! California and Yosemite is going to dry up.

Here is a shot from last Christmas, and it wasn't a heavy rain/snow year.

Steve

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Finally getting around to processing some up I plan on printing:

Merced Reflections #1:

Sparky16

One more, my quick take on possibly the most iconic shot from Yosemite:

I believe the most iconic shot is from the Tunnel View, the most photographed view in the world.

One question though; Jack and Bob took the same Valley View shot from the same place(well, three steps apart), basically at the same time with the same type body/lens combo, but the colors are pretty far apart, any explanation?

Just wondering which is what?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I believe the most iconic shot is from the Tunnel View, the most photographed view in the world.

One question though; Jack and Bob took the same Valley View shot from the same place(well, three steps apart), basically at the same time with the same type body/lens combo, but the colors are pretty far apart, any explanation?

Just wondering which is what?
We know how to make accurate color, but frankly that is pretty boring.
Jack and I differ in our preferences in basic white balance, Jack prefers somewhat warmer and I prefer somewhat cooler. Since we were standing there for a fairly long time taking and re-taking this image, we both have several copies taken over that interval. I think mine is a few minutes later. Light is always changing, and there is plenty of room for personal interpretation of color and processing
-bob

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Having been there the day before you folks I can tell you that at 5:09pm El Capitan is much redder than 5:04pm and also it's washed out at 5:11pm. As Bob said, it's also interpretive. My Phase One base images looked bland OOC as I'm sure Bob & Jack's DSLR images did (to a lesser degree perhaps).