The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Linhof ballhead

AlexLF

I've been using standard tripod head for years but recently bought Gitzo 2542 tripod and very happy with it. The standard head I use is pretty big so I'm thinking of getting a ball head. But never used one. Since I've used Linhof LF gear I look at Linhof ballheads. Specifically Linhof Profi Ballhead II. So the question would be is this the right choice?

For use with Nikon D3x and D800e + 14-24, 24-70 and (hopefully) 200/2 lenses.

Swissblad

I use the Linhoff and it is a good head, but it may struggle with the 200 f2.8

I would suggest you look at the Novoflex Classic Ball 3.

I have the 5, which is big, heavy, but rock solid!

The 3 may be a better alternative for your needs.

M

mjr

Hi

I have ended up with an Acratech ball head, it's great and copes easily with my D800 and 200 f2. I'd happily recommend it based on my own experiences.

Good luck with whatever you go for!

Mat

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Hi Alex,

The most cost effective ball head I've ever used is Benro B4 which costs ~ $180. I've been using it for over 5 years without any problems. It can carry a DSLR with ANY lenses including my Canon 400mm f/2.8. I've been using it with my medium format gears all the time.

I also like RRS BH-55 a lot.

Best

Pramote

alajuela

I use the Linhoff and it is a good head, but it may struggle with the 200 f2.8

I would suggest you look at the Novoflex Classic Ball 3.

I have the 5, which is big, heavy, but rock solid!

The 3 may be a better alternative for your needs.
I second the recommendation on Novoflex Classic balls. They are really good, also look at the Arca,- I just switched over to the A/S P0 with my 645 DF / Phase back (also works well with the Cambo) on a series 2 Gitzo - really nice match and lighter than the Novoflex. You will not go wrong with either one.

Phil

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm an Arca Cube fan and also B1G but if I were to pick a good universal ball head it would have to be the RRS BH-55. I personally prefer the B1G but I would concede that I'm probably not typical in that I don't mind BIG stuff. I had the RRS for years and it knows few equals IMHO.