Site Sponsors

Thread: Nikon Rebates

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon Rebates

Great Savings On Nikon Lenses

My credit card is going to get a workout!
    Mr.Gale
    Last edited by Bob; 9th February 2014 at 08:38.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nikon Rebates

The 80 - 400 lens looks more attractive now - VISA is coming!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

click here please
    Great Savings On Nikon Lenses

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I see there is a $300 rebate on the 16-35 f4 VR lens. It 's really the only lens here which interests me now, since I already own quite a few of these lenses. Any thoughts on how the 16-35 would perform on a D800e? I'm assuming it would be fine on my D700, D2X and D7100.

Gary

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Gary, I'm sure I'm in the minority but I've come close to despising this lens. Yes, I know despising is a strong word...so alright, I'll say strongly dislike this lens...LOL. Sure the excessive, no make that rediculous barrel distortion at its wider docal lengths can be for the most part corrected in post processing especially for landscape shots but for interior use for people or group shots, correction of main subject often means other interior objects get severely distorted. In other words can't have it both ways.

I've had some superb Photoshop experts try on my files. My comments reflect use of the lens on a full frame camera. My prefered wide angle zoom is either the venerable Nikon 17-35mm f2.8 which is a lower contrast lens that is helped by stopping down or the Tokina 16-28mm f2.8 that has lovely high contrast and excellent sharpness across the frame when stopped down bit and is a far lower cost lens than the Nikon.

Yes some people love this lens but for my use, an uncontested divorce was in order.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Dave! That's exactly the kind of straight forward info I appreciate so much here on GetDPI.

I don't shoot ultra wides very often and quite frankly the 24-120 VR has served me well thus far, so maybe I'll just put this money towards the Zeiss ZF.2 50mm Makro-Planar I've been wanting for so long. :-)

Gary

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Gary,

I rarely use such harsh words especially when I realize that for some, the Nikon 16-35 VR has most everything some are looking for in a wide angle zoom. Good range of focal length, good sharpness overall and VR. For me though, they accomplished some of the positive optical properties by allowing the excessive distortion to run rampant. In a $450 lens like the Samyang 14mm, fine (and they too achieved their high degree of sharpness by allowing extreme high levels of distortion)...but that's strictly a single focal length ultra wide that's generally used for a more specialized narrower range of imagery as opposed to a more versatile wide angle zoom that incorporates use in a wider variety of applications.

The Nikon being a zoom with attributes described above, exhibited it's excessive distortion not only at its wider 16mm focal length, unfortunately it extends well into its 21-22mm range. It's also a lens that is far more expensive than the Samyang and on a personal note, it's one of the few Nikon lenses that I don't like it's barrel dimensions for a wide angle zoom nor its handling and overall balance.

In contrast, the Tokina 16-35 mm f2.8 lens although in some respects in size and shape is similar to the large Nikon 14-24 and also cannot take front filters (like the 14-24), has a slightly extended focal length range, a new cleverly designed lens cap, extremely low distortion for a wide angle zoom throughout its range and if a good sample is found, impressively sharp across the frame at most focal length settings, especially if stopped down. To boot, it's not that much more expensive that the Samyang 14mm. Oh did I mention very good color rendition with very good contrast? It's drawback is there is most definitely sample to sample variation and the latest production runs seem to be marketly improved.

Again lens selection can often times be subjective but in my particular case, I felt I had to look elsewhere for a wide angle zoom other than the Nikon.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 10th February 2014 at 05:56.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    I see there is a $300 rebate on the 16-35 f4 VR lens. It 's really the only lens here which interests me now, since I already own quite a few of these lenses. Any thoughts on how the 16-35 would perform on a D800e? I'm assuming it would be fine on my D700, D2X and D7100.

Gary
    For similar money, I find the 17-35 a far more desirable option, FWIW. Far less distortion, very sharp centrally even wide open across the zoom range; stop down to f5.6 or 8 and all but the extreme corners are sharp. Best for me is I find the slight softness at the corners is actually rather pleasant and can be used to advantage at wider apertures.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Dave and Jack. That Tokina 16-28/2.8 sounds pretty good, though I've never owned a Tokina lens. My local dealer has one in stock, so I'll check it out this week. At $699, it's certainly an attractive price. Since I don't expect to use an ultra-wide zoom very often, that probably makes more sense for me than spending the extra $1,000 to get the Nikon 17-35/2.8. I guess the only real downside to the Tokina is not being able to use filters, while the Nikon is threaded for 77mm. It's too bad there are no rebates on the Nikon 17-35.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

that probably makes more sense for me than spending the extra $1,000 to get the Nikon 17-35/2.8.
    My apologies -- when I bought mine, they were right around $1200 for the US version while the 16-35 was a little under $1000 -- I had no idea the 17-35 had increased so much!
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dave and Jack. That Tokina 16-28/2.8 sounds pretty good, though I've never owned a Tokina lens. My local dealer has one in stock, so I'll check it out this week. At $699, it's certainly an attractive price. Since I don't expect to use an ultra-wide zoom very often, that probably makes more sense for me than spending the extra $1,000 to get the Nikon 17-35/2.8. I guess the only real downside to the Tokina is not being able to use filters, while the Nikon is threaded for 77mm. It's too bad there are no rebates on the Nikon 17-35.

Gary
    Gary, check out the Nikon 18-35. A great lens and less money than the Tokina, and not the quality control issues of the Tokina.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Up until I acquired the Tokina, I used the Nikon 17-35mm f2.8 and one of its advantages was that it took regular 77mm front filters. Micro contrast though is on the lower side compared to the Tokina and it may not get as sharp in the corners, but its any extremely attractive option if you find used one at a good price. Images with a good sample of the Tokina, simply pop and it in many respects reminds me of some of the wide angle Zeiss lenses in terms of contrast and color depth....assuming you find a good sample.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guess I won't be taking advantage of the Nikon rebates after all.

I found a Nikon 17-35 f2.8 in EX+ condition at KEH with the hood, caps and case for a bit more than the 16-35 after rebate, so I'm going to give the 17-35/2.8 a try. Hopefully, it will be a good sample.

Thanks Dave and Jack, I really appreciated your observations, experience and suggestions!

Gary

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Gary, glad you found one at a good price. Just something to keep in mind. A very large run of earlier samples of the Nikon were clearly different in optical performance from late runs. This was primarily in how it performed in the more open apertures and wider focal length settings. One of the hallmarks of many samples (both early and late) is an extremely soft image across the entire frame at f2.8 at 17mm which clearly leaps in optical performance by stopping down a single f-stop.

Dave (D&A)

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 17-35 is also affectionately known as Mr Squeaky. You'll know what I mean eventually ...
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I wish I had known all these extra little tidbits of info before I ordered the lens....but fortunately, KEH has a 15 day full refund return policy.

Gary

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Gary, although I didn't specifically mention it in my previous post above, the first thing that came to mind when you mentioned that you just ordered the lens from KEH was "good, if the sample isn't up to par, Gary can certainly return it for a refund from KEH". I was hoping that once you had received the lens and put it through its paces, you'd let us know if there were any things you observed that you questioned about the lens.

Graham is right on the money with the nickname for the lens. It refers to the AF -S motor in many samples of the 17-35 f2.8 that squeak when you first press the shutter button to AFS, especially as you allow the lens to focus from one end of its focusing range to another to test for the squeek.

When you first get the lens and mount it, hold your hand in front of the glass and allow the lens to AF back and forth through its entire range. Some samples will squeek once or twice and then remain quiet for the rest of their use till the next time you pull the lens out of your bag. Others will squeek every time you AF. Some lightly squeeking samples will remain that way for years while others will have the very expensive AFS motor failure in a matter of months. No way to tell. A quiet lens may have already had its motor replaced.

See how the lens both optically preforms and listen for the motor squeek, and then you can determine whether the sample is worth keeping or not. I hope you get a keeper.

*** Though here's the bigger, more important question....does Graham give cute nicknames to all his photographic equipment?

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 14th February 2014 at 07:23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I wish I had known all these extra little tidbits of info before I ordered the lens....but fortunately, KEH has a 15 day full refund return policy.

Gary
    Gary,

FWIW my 17-35 does not squeak, and it is laser sharp in the central half of the image wide open. The circle of sharpness extends significantly at 2.8, and by 4 it is sharp nearly to the corners. I do have one of the later versions.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

When I had the lens, it didn't squeak at first! Only did after owning it a couple of years later and then not using it for a long while. After taking it out of my camera bag and mounting it and using it for a few, maybe a half dozen shots, the squeak just went away. So it may or may not bother you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks again guys. At least now I know what problems to look for. I will be particularly diligent about testing this lens within that 15 day window. Hopefully, I'll get a good one. :-)

Gary

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the 14-24 when I want speed or a zoom with uncompromised quality, and am willing to deal with the bulk to get there. Most of the time though I just use the ZF 18. It's small and indistinguishable from the 14-24 at 18. Both have LR profiles so the complicated distortion is a total non-problem. An 18 is easily hand holdable at 1/15 to 1/20 on the D800E with a little care, up to about double that - 1/30 to 1/60 if you're shooting from the hip or don't have steady hands.

Edit: sorry, posted to the wrong thread...
    Last edited by Jan Brittenson; 14th February 2014 at 15:00.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon Lens Versions -- and Serial Numbers

Gary et al., here's a link to a webpage with serial numbers for Nikon lens versions Nikon Lens Serial Nos

I don't know if this list is adequate with regards to the AF-S 17-35mm IF-ED, but the lens is present in the list where the zoom lenses start by scrolling down about 60 % or by searching for this exact character string: zoom 14..24-xx

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Steen! You must have read my mind, because I was just wondering this morning how I could find out if the copy I receive from KEH is an early or late model.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I have a later version of the 17-35. It does not squeak. It is as sharp as my micro-55 or 105 or 200 Q. Except as noted in the extreme corners. The low distortion and excellent low flare characteristics are amazing. At optimal f/stops this is a stellar lens. It takes standard 77mm filters. It performs equally as well of the d700 as the d800e. I think you will enjoy the lens. Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Received the 17-35 today. Squeak, squeak, squeak. My friend at Stewarts Photo said it is one of the worst he has heard....so it's going back to KEH. I'll take some shots with it, just to see how I like the images. Maybe I'll spring for a new one someday.

Gary
    Last edited by bensonga; 18th February 2014 at 16:40.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Gary,

Sorry you received one with the squeak. Only reason to keep it is if you are trying to attract wild birds with the squeak, in order for them to come to your window in order to be photographed.

Gary I though you mentioned that locally there was a Tokina 16-35 mm f2.8 lens in Nikon mount. If so, and if it turns out to be a good sample, you might be surprised at level of performance. That's one of the reasons I've switched over to it. If the lens is available locally and you can try it out first, you have nothing to loose by doing so.

On a separate note, as good as KEH is...If they truly inspect the equipment they sell as they claim..then how could they miss the squeak? I can tell you with certainty that this isn't the 1st time they've done this with this particular lens. Even brand new ones purchased now can develop the squeak in a few years. A photo acquaintance had that happen to his after the warranty ran out and it cost him big bucks

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 18th February 2014 at 22:28.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Dave. I was surprised at the squeaks from a KEH EX+ rated lens too. This lens even came with the original box, caps hood and case. On the box was a sticker from KEH saying it had been inspected, tested and graded. By whom I wonder? I've bought a lot of used equipment from KEH over the past 10 years with very few problems, but I have to wonder now if their standards are slipping.

My local shop has the Tokina 16-28/2.8 in stock (new), so I will check it out. Thanks for the reminder and info about this lens Dave.

Gary

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Gary,

I've noticed some significant changes in KEH too. I found out they are not owned by the same group as those from a number of years ago so from what I hear, things are done differently with regards to their business model.

Regarding the Tokina, like many ultra wide angle zooms from 3rd party manufacturers, there is considerable sample to sample variations.

At least one way to tell if the lens is from a fairly recent production run is to look at the lens cap. They went through a number of itinerations. The latest is a hard plastic type cup shaped cap (when inverted) and when slid over the front of the lens, has the usual two places on the sides that you press in so that the cap actually clips onto the lens securely, so it cannot fall off. A much improved design over the Nikon cap for their 14-24mm lens. Lets us know your findings after you test it out.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all: I use a D800e, and usually use a Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 VC lens as my everyday walk around lens, and also have the excellent (for the $) Tamron 70-300mm VC lens. I have had a 50mm f1.8 G lens ever since I got the D800e, as it is an outstanding dollar price to lens value. I also have several high end Nikon zooms and manual focus Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses, but the rebates seemed too good to pass up. Even though I don't really need it, today I ordered the 85mm f1.8 G at $396.95 with free shipping at B&H. The 50 and 85 are light weight and will make a nice combo, along with either my Zeiss 18mm or 35mm f2 (not so light). The build quality may not be Pro grade, but, hey, I am an Amateur who babies his lenses, and gives them very light use compared to a Pro, so it is plenty good enough for me. I researched several lens tests on the web, and all give the 85 f1.8 stellar reviews. I will post some stuff with the lens, if I get anything worth while.
    Regards to all
    Dave in NJ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Dave with all the usual talk of exotic lenses, it's nice to know that there are straight forward reasonably fast common focal length lenses that perform exceptionally well and are a relative bargain price wise when compared to their f1.4 brethren. I too use the 50mm f1.8 SE and agree with you about it excellent performance as a walk about lens

I've used the new 85 mm f1.8 and would say the same thing about it
    It's close to 90 percent performance of the faster lenses but much less expensive. If there weren't so many other items I dearly would live to obtain, I'd be quickly joining the Nikon rebate bandwagon. I still might ..too tempting .

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gurtch View Post
    Hi all: I use a D800e, and usually use a Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 VC lens as my everyday walk around lens, and also have the excellent (for the $) Tamron 70-300mm VC lens. I have had a 50mm f1.8 G lens ever since I got the D800e, as it is an outstanding dollar price to lens value. I also have several high end Nikon zooms and manual focus Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses, but the rebates seemed too good to pass up. Even though I don't really need it, today I ordered the 85mm f1.8 G at $396.95 with free shipping at B&H. The 50 and 85 are light weight and will make a nice combo, along with either my Zeiss 18mm or 35mm f2 (not so light). The build quality may not be Pro grade, but, hey, I am an Amateur who babies his lenses, and gives them very light use compared to a Pro, so it is plenty good enough for me. I researched several lens tests on the web, and all give the 85 f1.8 stellar reviews. I will post some stuff with the lens, if I get anything worth while.
    Regards to all
    Dave in NJ
    Well, I received the new 85mm f1.8 lens just as the (hopefully) last snow fall hit the NJ shore. Not one to waste opportunities, I went looking for "85mm pictures" if that makes sense. If you look at my web site, it is mostly seascapes made with wide angle lenses...I am a wide angle guy. Usually, I look for a picture, then use the correct lens to capture it. This time I put on the lens, then looked for pictures to fit it's coverage. I really like it for repetitive pattern shots, as backing off gives a slightly compressed view of the repeated patterns. The actual pixels views on screen are razor sharp, even though the patterns were shot at f11 and f13, sacrificing a bit of sharpness for depth of field. The color shot was 1/400 at f10. The pattern shots were 1/1000 f13 and 1/1600 f11. This lens is truly a bargain. It is small and light enough I intend to always have it in my bag. Thanks for looking
    Dave in NJ

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dave. I was surprised at the squeaks from a KEH EX+ rated lens too. This lens even came with the original box, caps hood and case. On the box was a sticker from KEH saying it had been inspected, tested and graded. By whom I wonder? I've bought a lot of used equipment from KEH over the past 10 years with very few problems, but I have to wonder now if their standards are slipping.

My local shop has the Tokina 16-28/2.8 in stock (new), so I will check it out. Thanks for the reminder and info about this lens Dave.

Gary
    that is the overall problem with KEH if you buy something, check it out really good. I have had all kinds of weird stuff over the years