The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon introduces a new raw processor

AreBee

Nikon FAQ said:
Q Do you plan to include U Point functions (for portional editing) later?

A No, we do not plan to include these functions. We are looking into the possibility of being able to open and display images to which effects have been applied using U Pint functions for support purposes with future versions.
:banghead: :wtf:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
It does seem a bit less obtuse than the older Nikon software. A completely UN-thorough test showed it to be speedy and relatively intuitive. Not sure about rendering quality vs. other software at this point. Worth another look as it matures beyond Beta.

Thanks Bob!
Tim

ajoyroy

Down loaded the beta version. Seems to be working fine for me. All my posts of Nikon D3300 shots are done with this.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Just downloaded, installed and looked at a few D800E shots from 2 months ago.

Really works nicely and fast.

I am impressed by the IQ - have never seen this from Aperture, LR5 nor C1Pro7.

If it only would allow also support of non NEF RAW files :rolleyes:

If it only would allow also support of non NEF RAW files :rolleyes:
I have the strong feeling it is based on the Silky Pix converter. At least the interface looks suspiciously similar. Of course, I don't know how much Nikon's input into the conversion migrated into Silky Pix v6, but maybe this might be an option. For what it is worth, I have tried Silky Pix for my Fuji files, and find the reports of its un-usability exaggerated.

Steve P.

I just don't use plugins. I render to tiffs and do it with photoshop.
-bob
I'm the opposite. I don't use PS, just Lightroom and Nik efex. I tried CNX 2 and loved the image quality and the U-Point technology, but found the response time too slow. If they improve this aspect I'd certainly reconsider, but only with U-Point available. Otherwise Nik Viveza does the job just fine.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have the strong feeling it is based on the Silky Pix converter. At least the interface looks suspiciously similar. Of course, I don't know how much Nikon's input into the conversion migrated into Silky Pix v6, but maybe this might be an option. For what it is worth, I have tried Silky Pix for my Fuji files, and find the reports of its un-usability exaggerated.
Actually it was written by or based on silky pix.
-bob

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Nikon rumours confirmed that it is silky pix software.

Yeah, I agree the user interface looks very similar to Silkypix.

But I have a feeling that the demosaicing engine origins from Capture NX2.

©lick for native sizes and download those to your harddisk, then toggle back and forth while trying to guess which RAW converter is which - before you peep into the Exif answer .-)

Summer in Denmark

©lick for native size (8.2 Mb)

© • Nikon D610 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/100 sec. at f/11 ISO 0.5EV under 100 • RAW converter acc. to Exif

©lick for native size (9.6 Mb)

© • Nikon D610 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/100 sec. at f/11 ISO 0.5EV under 100 • RAW converter acc. to Exif

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

I sometimes process a RAW file in three or four different RAW converters, then I pick the result I like the best for that particular file and the results always come out very differently depending on the converter.
I am rarely able to really make them look alike, but maybe that's just me.

The above NX2 and NX-D conversions seem very related, to put it mildly.
Could it be Nikon has combined the Silkypix interface with the Capture NX2 engine, or is it just a matter of inherited camera profiles ?

Now try if you can come that close using any other favorite RAW converter of yours.

Here's a link to the 32 Mb RAW file: 61A_1649_D610_and_AFS_28mm_G.NEF

Simple File Sharing and Storage.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
You must like fennel!

Color and tone on those two look identical to me, which indicates they use the same demosaicing method. Differences in fine detail would be more indicative of differences in sharpening method. Simple USM and deconvolution and a small-kernel deconvolution approximation (like 3x3) all look different.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Ha, well, it's actually not my summerhouse, Jan :D
And I'm not even sure if it's fennel or if it's something that just looks like it ?

I agree with your observations about color and tone and I think it is a good thing that Nikon seems to continue the core characteristics of Capture NX2.
I hope the interface and the features will mature in the versions to come.
So far I think it looks quite promising.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Footnote:

I have now produced both downsized 1200 pixel wide pictures directly from the RAW file (in both converter programs respectively).

At first I had downsized one of them from the full sized converted jpeg file which made the two small 1200 pixel wide pictures look unnecessarily different with regards to sharpening and contrast.

Of course only the full sized pictures were meant for comparison, but just in case somebody might start to compare the downsized pictures as well.

neils

I've always been a fan of NX series SW.

I'd like to hope/think that if I download this "D" version I still have NX2 to fall back on.

Any idea? I'll ask Nikon as well

Neil