Site Sponsors

Thread: Nikon offers D600 shutter replacements

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon offers D600 shutter replacements

Just noticed this on the Nikon US site:

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-A...LR-Camera.html

Looks like it will apply to in and out of warranty D600 owners.

Nice to see Nikon step up on this issue which has been around for almost a year now.

Paul C.
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Nikon offers D600 shutter replacements

Looks like it's finally time for my trusty D600 to go on a Nikon sponsored road trip.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

wonder what the turn around time is?

guess I will find out

me

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just got mine back (sent it in a bit before announcement), new shutter installed, AF etc "adjusted" and checked. Took about 7-8 days, incl. shipping. But that may change now that there is much more work in the pipeline

Post Thanks / Like

They say that they are not putting in D610 shutters, but replacement D600 units. I am not sure I believe this, because the incidence of problems with D600 shutters seems rather high and the D610 came out rather quickly with a shutter redesign. I suppose admitting to putting in D610 shutters would go one step too far towards admitting the original units are 'not fit for purpose'. All seems rather fishy, but out of warranty support is at least some consolation, albeit far too late for most people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    They say that they are not putting in D610 shutters, but replacement D600 units. I am not sure I believe this, because the incidence of problems with D600 shutters seems rather high and the D610 came out rather quickly with a shutter redesign. I suppose admitting to putting in D610 shutters would go one step too far towards admitting the original units are 'not fit for purpose'. All seems rather fishy, but out of warranty support is at least some consolation, albeit far too late for most people.
    I foolishly assumed they would be using D610 shutters- if they are using the defectively designed D600 units, that is not much better than just cleaning the sensor repeatedly. The D600 shutters apparently ALL didn't have the problem, so there could be the element of chance at work, perhaps getting a "good" D600 shutter. If they are just kicking the can down the road, I may well sign up for one of the lawsuits., something I have been loathe to do.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

This is just my guess. I doubt that Nikon is simply throwing away each and every D600 form each camera that's sent in to them. Instead they have a stock of removed D600 shutters that have been modified with some sort of shield, shroud, or other modification that simply prevents dust from getting in.

This modification is then similar to to the stock D610 shutters. Again just a guess.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Possibly very true Dave. As long as it works, who cares, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just ran a test on my "serviced" D600, using intervalometer to make 2,000 exposures.

Then took test shot of blue sky at f22 with the 24-85VR. Have not changed lenses, other than going outside to make sky exposures, it has not been out of the house. Result is that, for this unit anyway, the problem remains. I have a dozen plus round oil spots in basically the upper left quadrant of the sensor. I have contacted Nikon again to see where this goes.

The rep did, BTW, say they are using "new" shutters (I keep typing that word with an "i" in it- must be psychological).

Discouraging.

Post Thanks / Like

well that sucks to hear that, I hope you get it resolved.

I assume and maybe incorrectly, that this is an attempt to dodge litigation of some sort by nikon?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by viablex1 View Post
    well that sucks to hear that, I hope you get it resolved.

I assume and maybe incorrectly, that this is an attempt to dodge litigation of some sort by nikon?
    There are several law firms "pushing" class action lawsuits over this issue. My general inclination is to avoid them, if possible; while they sometimes may be needed, it is usually the lawyers who get the lion's share of any settlement. I'd rather try to get Nikon to "do right" on this, but am keeping the class action option in the background in case they won't/can't fix it and tell me to live with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree, also my wife being an attorney I would not say it was out of the question to file a small claims case. May sound ridiculous but our attorney friend won a suit against ticket master that way so did a lady in cali against honda

Post Thanks / Like

Reference #140311-000736

they actually block the email address you send to them, of course I have like five and submitted this.
    '
    Dear Sir or Madam,

regarding order and repair 6345485, The unit was shipped to you after a professional cleaning. The problem does exist with the camera, that is many oil and dust spots after shutter actuation.

Already on several forums in the camera world units are coming back saying that they are repaired but have the same problem.

I do not want to be one of them.

If you actually fix the camera then I have no problem if you don't I will start action by finding a local Agent for service in the State of Tennessee if none can be found I will proceed with civil litigation through the secretary of state in Tennessee and I will sue Nikon in general sessions court.

This is not an idle threat I really just want the camera to work

Cordially,

Matthew

Post Thanks / Like

well apparently a suit has been filed in federal court how that would help an individual I have no idea 25 bucks a piece may buy an SD card, but that is behind the announcement, they are a greedy bunch nikon is, but then again this is the impetus for the coming darkness , greed.

Post Thanks / Like

got this back

promising at least

Dear M.W. Friel,

Thank you for contacting Nikon service and support. Your camera is currently in the shop being repaired. We will be cleaning and replacement of the shutter assembly and related parts of your camera. Any other information you might need, don't hesitate on contacting us via your account at our web site, or at our toll free number 1-800-NIKON-US (1-800-645-6687).

Reference Number: 140311-000736

Service Order# 6345485

Kind regards,

Shanel J

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

wow and that is from the actual fulcrum of defective products!! China lol

I feel a new D610 coming my way!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

wow and that is from the actual fulcrum of defective products!! China lol

I feel a new D610 coming my way!!!
    Wouldn't count on it. I just got my D600 back a second time (service advisory fix didn't fix), and all they did was clean the sensor. They say it is the latest shutter (installed previous time in the service advisory), and that's it. They are not buying back, not replacing with refurb D610's or anything. All of this despite showing them test images which caused them to ask I send it back so they could examine the continuing problem. In their opinion, replacing the shutter was the answer, and evidence of continuing failure be damned.

It's still in the bag, and anyone wants it for $1300 + shipping is welcome. Nikon says it is perfect. Maybe I am too demanding...

Post Thanks / Like

We will be cleaning and replacement of the shutter assembly and related parts of your camera

this gives me a little hope that and suing them is really easy

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Their senior exec says by email tonight that my testing of the camera with the intervalometer (suggested by Thom Hogan) is an unnatural use and testing and looking for things leads to seeing things which wouldn't affect normal operation.

Post Thanks / Like

well you seem very intelligent to me, perhaps he thinks that he is smarter than everyone else.

Your eyes probably don't deceive you and if you take 2000 shots in succession how is that different than taking two thousand shots at different times.

Again they do not want to admit the problem.

A fraud complaint with the attorney general is a great place to start. Also researching arizona law with regard to serving them personally is also a great option.

essentially this is dishonest behavior and I guess they they think they can push you around.

Matto

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Took it out last week, and all worked out well. I didn't have any issues/problems with the results, so am going to keep it and move forward. Apparently all the new cameras are more prone to dust and oil, with high speeds a factor. Michael Clark (a pro with a good blog) just released his quarterly newsletter in which he has a lengthy article about the Sensor Gel cleaning system (very positive), and talks about his D800 and D4 being more prone to needing more frequent cleaning than in the good old days. Recommend your reading that article- you can download the newsletter in pdf format.

Post Thanks / Like

My apologies for hijacking and ranting on this thread, especially as I am not a GetDPI regular. I can mostly be found over at RFF, but felt I wanted to get my experience with the Nikon D600 oil sensor out to as many users as possible:

This is an edit from my original D600 oil sensor problem post over at Rangefinderforum (My experience with the Nikon D600 oil sensor problem - Rangefinderforum.com

I purchased a Nikon D600 in November 2012, just after it was announced. I was a very happy owner as it promised to be an affordable, high quality, and compact full frame camera. It would, conveniently, replace a sold D700 and a dead D3 that I had owned previously.

Within a few months, I started reading horror stories of dust and then oil spots appearing in the top left and bottom corners of images. My D600 was fine, until about 9 months later - this would be July/August 2013 - when I started noticing spots after doing a particularly gruelling 6 hour product shoot (hey, gotta pay the bills, right?) against white background. All 250 images had to be photoshopped in post because I stupidly didn't zoom in on the corners during review. Thankfully most were in the same position and relative size so they could be batch-fixed. When I look back at other non-professional (ie candid, travel) I notice about 80% of the images I shot in the preceding 9 months contain spots in the top left, bottom left and right corners. I had just never shot on a plain white background before.

Take the D600 to Nikon where it gets cleaned and when I bring up the dust / oil sensor issue that is making the rounds on the internet, the Nikon staff simply shrug and say they haven't heard a thing about it.

Jump forward about 2 months and I'm coming to the end of my 12-month warranty. I notice a few light specks in images and, fearing having to pay for future cleanings, I take it to Nikon and have the same conversation (with shrugs) with Nikon staff while they clean the camera. This time they promise the spots won't return as the problem was 'solved'.

Roughly 6 weeks later in January 2014, the spots are back and darker and larger than before. I take it back to Nikon and after I leave the camera at the service centre for a few days, they call to inform me the shutter assembly will be replaced. A quick fistpump and a silent thank you to Nikon, and I'm happy again. It went some way to assuaging the frustration at constantly having to return to Nikon to 'fix' what was a US$2199 camera at launch. When I return to pick up the camera, the staff proudly tell me the problem has been repaired for good. I'm happy.

About a month later, I'm halfway through a restaurant shoot for a new client when I start seeing a dark trail across a few images like the shutter is dragging. Boom. Camera throws up an ERR sign on the top LCD. Shut it down, remove battery. Let the camera cool, finally do a soft reset. Nothing. Nada. Don't have a second body with me as I can't afford one and my D3 had died of corrosion about a year ago. Stupidity on me. Beyond bemusement at Nikon.

Return to Nikon (lost count now) and they hum and haw over it for a good half hour. The manager comes out and apologises profusely after I kick up a fuss at how much of a joke Nikon has become at its handling of an obviously poorly designed D600.

With the reshoot scheduled for two days later, Nikon promises it'll be ready on the morning of my shoot. It is, thankfully. But I no longer have any faith in Nikon at all. I am a hair away from packing it all in and selling all my Nikon gear except that it would take weeks to offload it and my options in Canon world aren't exactly stellar: 6D or MKIII with banding issues, lower dynamic range and as yet slightly inferior high ISO performance. No thanks. Crop frame for full time work? Not there yet, Fuji / MFT / Sony.

And this is when I sell a kidney (aka a Zeiss) and pick up a D800E. My alternatives aren't great. I could have bit the bullet and shot that reshoot with the twice-repaired and thrice-cleaned D600 but I don't trust it to last more than 1000 shots before the issue comes back. It's not a fluke anymore, this is a concrete issue despite replacing the shutter assembly with a new one (contrary to rumour mongering, Nikon doesn't replace them with D610 shutters). It WILL come back. Switching to Canon puts me out of action for weeks. No good options.

I've lost track of how many follow up calls I've had with Nikon Hong Kong management - this happened a lot more after I told them I was also a journalist as well as a commercial photographer and was more than happy to highlight the issues in local magazines and newspapers. I tried not to get angry and threatening but it was hard at that point.

I ended my rant in front of them with:

'I don't have anything against any of you here but it is painfully obvious that something has been wrong with this camera design from day 1. If I have to come back a 6th time to repair or clean this camera - you can keep it. I will gift it to you (the manager) so you can use it as a paperweight to remind you of just how much Nikon has let it's customers down. I won't want it. I won't need it. Because it simply does NOT work.'

There is no D610 replacement program here in Hong Kong / China / Asia as far as I am aware. I have only seen forum posts on the topic from users in the USA so far.

I would have switched if I didn't have three big projects lined up for the next two weeks, not to mention a travel story happening this weekend - all of which require a camera I'm familiar with and the required lenses. It isn't really an issue with Canon's 5D MKIII sensor or the different ergonomics - pretty much all high end cameras can perform at a good enough level for what I do, and half the enjoyment can come from learning a new system. Since subscribing to Diglloyd and reading Ming Thein, perhaps my standards have risen and I demand more?

I am confident in the D800E I just purchased. It's a proven camera now that the early left focus issues were resolved. All cutting edge cameras have their issues, the D600 ones have just been ignored up until mid-February when Nikon issued their latest 'unlimited cleanings' repair advisory. That's not good enough though. Any company who values professionalism and customer service in the face of a faulty product should issue a recall. Sadly, Nikon isn't doing that.

I won't post his name here but when asked, the manager of the Nikon service centre in Hong Kong - after much exasperated prodding - finally admitted to me that he would be 'very upset at Nikon' if he was in my situation.

When asked if he would have wanted Nikon to recall the product? No comment.

I don't dare use the D600 for anything approaching professional work. I am going to baby it like its been injured. Except it hasn't been injured, it was born this way.

/end rant

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting read,

they are not doing a recall yet they are trying to look good in front of all these class action suits.

I am guessing this is not common for them or any other manufacturer of cameras but could be wrong on this.

when they have to start paying fines etc under whatever portion of the universal commercial code or other statutes this may affect how they do business in the future

Matto

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rick View Post
    Took it out last week, and all worked out well. I didn't have any issues/problems with the results, so am going to keep it and move forward. Apparently all the new cameras are more prone to dust and oil, with high speeds a factor. Michael Clark (a pro with a good blog) just released his quarterly newsletter in which he has a lengthy article about the Sensor Gel cleaning system (very positive), and talks about his D800 and D4 being more prone to needing more frequent cleaning than in the good old days. Recommend your reading that article- you can download the newsletter in pdf format.
    Odd, have owned the D4 since it was first introduced, got the first one delivered within my state via NPS and have yet to need to clean the sensor. Of all the Nikons I have ever owned this one has been the least prone to dust, dirt, etc. My D3 on the other hand has been terrible.

Regardless hope you all get this fixed and sorted out soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Apologies again for the double post in the other D600 thread, it threw up a message saying it would have to be moderated before being posted and when I checked back a day later and it hadn't, I posted here. Mods, feel free to delete either post.

Post Thanks / Like

I got mine back today, currently testing the shuttah!!!

they replaced it so maybe thats good news!!

matto

Post Thanks / Like

I got mine back today, currently testing the shuttah!!!

they replaced it so maybe thats good news!!

matto
    Shoot about 1000 images and post back and let us know how you get on. With any luck, your D600 will be repaired for good. It would come around the 1000 shutter actuations mark that I would start to see the spots again

Post Thanks / Like

shot 2000 so far so good will be checking more today
    Matto

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Nikon has been listening:

Nikon | News | Announcement Regarding the Nikon D600 Digital SLR Camera

They've offered to replace repeatedly affected D600s with new cameras or equivalent models. Good move Nikon, why did it take over a year to do that?