Re: Nikon 1 V3

All comparing apples with oranges

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    All comparing apples with oranges
    All comparisons are apples to oranges in reality. Few people go to the grocery store asking themselves: I wonder if I should buy apples or apples today, unless they have planned to bake an apple pie. There are many ways to fill a stomach, and most of them work, but some are more satisfying than others on any given day. Although apples may taste better on Monday, it might be oranges on Wednesday, even though the stomach is the same and the setting is the same also.

It's not only horses for courses, it's sometimes about a different user experience and a desire to achieve a different result.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Yes, the Sony DR will change... dramatically. At ISO 6400, according to DxO, DR is just 7 on the Sony while it's 10 on the V3 at ISO 400
    You missed my point. In good daylight the Sony will pull ahead, so that will cover a lot (most) of daylight shots (precisely the situations where you usually need the most DR btw.). At night you can put a fast prime on the Nikon. Or shoot the sony at 1.8.

I never said the Sony will "win hands down" or such thing. I am merely pointing out it's disappointed that both sensors being 1'' (and Sony being even a notch higher resolution), the Sony is doing better here.

For the record- I picked an RX100 MKII and returned it within 45 minutes. Horrible usability, horrible way of working, menus lagged a bit (I was used to the Q7 which is pretty fast with nice ergonomics here). So yes, on that alone the Nikon 1 V3 is more appealing to me (since I rather not even touch that Sony).

Just pointing out, that even though the full camera, I would prefer the Nikon to use, it's not for the sensor, and it just makes the high price feel - well- very overpriced. Hell even the Q7 will do better DR at the lowest ISO in good light, hopefully not richer color!

That's all.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    All comparisons are apples to oranges in reality. Few people go to the grocery store asking themselves: I wonder if I should buy apples or apples today, unless they have planned to bake an apple pie. There are many ways to fill a stomach, and most of them work, but some are more satisfying than others on any given day. Although apples may taste better on Monday, it might be oranges on Wednesday, even though the stomach is the same and the setting is the same also.

It's not only horses for courses, it's sometimes about a different user experience and a desire to achieve a different result.
    That is very true, but even if farmer Nikon is the only one selling BlueBerry pies (and I like BlueBerries more than any other berry) but is charging 5 times the price of a strawberry pie you can't just help but scratch your head, because you heard in down south people pay for a blue berry pie about as much as the strawberry pie - and even though those blueberry pies down south come in smaller portions they are fresher.

How's that for analogies :-)

My thoughts here are not because I hate the idea the Nikon 1 V3 seems to represent. It's more frustration that Nikon has to price it so high and have these areas a bit lacking vs what you see a 1'' type sensor can do. Nothing more than that.

- Ricardo

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I mostly agree, Ricardo, and I do think that Nikon would make more money if they more or less gave away the bodies. People would need lenses. Now they are buying neither.

Post Thanks / Like

Some first impressions V3 preview here:

Nikon V3 - first impressions and pictures - Rangefinderforum.com

I don't buy his comment on DR, I will have to see the RAWs for myself. I am more and more inclined to order it to try to see if the shoe fits and if it does, sell most of what I have.

Moving forward with the fear Nikon could pull the plug on this system anytime.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

A better idea of what the V3 can do, looking at the Japan Nikon 1 J4 samples.

Nikon 1 J4 -

The J4 won't be available in the USA- at least for now.

- Ricardo