The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 1 V3

ptomsu

Workshop Member
There are still no fast zooms. Fail.
Well, what are fast zooms? IMHO these need to be at least 2.8 to 3.5 over the complete range. Which kind of contradicts with the compactness of the Nikon 1 system.

And if you compare with mirror less APSC and FF the fast zooms are most starting from 3.5 :confused: so what is the point here?

For what the 1 system promises it seems to get mature. We need to see how good the new 18MP sensor finally is WRT IQ of course. But AF wise, especially C-AF and AF tracking it should smoke all the other mirror less offerings - also needs to be proven.

But if that works (which I hope) then it would really set new standards.

bradhusick

I tried shooting the V1 for indoor sports and even at ISO 3200 the shutter speeds were so slow that all I got was motion blur in the players.

That's what I mean when I ask for fast zooms. I need shutter speeds of 1/640 sec or faster indoors with the lens wide open and ISO 3200 or 6400.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I tried shooting the V1 for indoor sports and even at ISO 3200 the shutter speeds were so slow that all I got was motion blur in the players.

That's what I mean when I ask for fast zooms. I need shutter speeds of 1/640 sec or faster indoors with the lens wide open and ISO 3200 or 6400.
I fully agree on this!

Where is the built in eye level viewfinder ?? I was very much looking forward to this camera but no finder means no go for me. Adding a glob on top does not count.
I think the phone camera folks can shoot at arms length but a person interested in changing lenses etc. wants an eye level finder - at least his one does.
Sorry Nikon.
Robert

cmcmillan

I agree with that too. Without the right shutter speed, the shots wont look right at all.

I was debating one of these and the FT-1 Adapter with the 70-200 or 24-70mm FX Lenses on it for some indoor sports work I had coming up in late spring.

I would need to get a hold of one to test with. Would be nice to have a more compact kit. to take out.

If it somehow ended up being cheaper than just buying a D7100 to potentially burn up shooting 60-100,000 frames this spring, I may go for it. I want to keep my two D700 bodies chugging along happily for when they're really needed. The D300 can kind of cut it when there is good light, but I don't like shooting her in jpeg above 1600.

I'd already enjoyed the low res 400fps video on the earlier generation 1 cameras. I would love to be able to play with 720p 120fps shooting instead of upresing the 640x240 400fps video.

Hopefully there are some body only options soon. Or maybe some early adopters who don't enjoy the camera on release selling off their copies? :)

Chris

I'd very much like to see the camera succeed. I've got a couple of the V1 and a couple of lenses and was hoping to add more.
I wish they had taken the two level approach to this camera as they did on the
version 1 , a V1 with viewfinder and a J1 without.
Oh well.
Robert

raist3d

Nikon makes me cry.

This could be the camera system I could use for my street life day or night dreams, and it is indeed packed with some technologies the right way. But the usability has been horrible, and now that they come out with a camera closer to the ideal there's still issues including the absurd price.

On zooms- the zooms don't need to be super fast- to keep t hem small but they are as they are slow.

Primes- where are the nice fast small primes? They do have TWO good primes and ... that's it.

I want to see how big this one is and the usability. This could have been my real "next step up from Pentax Q" giving me options for long tele, short and small, if it is small. Seems like with some lens options it's not so small at all.

- Ricardo

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I think it would not have been so difficult to integrate the EVF in a permanent hump in the middle of the camera, just as it is now if EVF is attached. And then they could have made a version without EVF (and possibility to attach an EVF.

Actually very simple ????? :confused:

cmcmillan

I just saw the micro sd thing this morning. That really kills it for me. I already have a huge enough investment in CF and Regular SD/SDHC cards for my cameras. I don't want to have to buy a bunch of new cards in a new format and get another card reader or an adapter to SD (which will probably be pretty slow).

I guess I'll just wait about 4-6 months until the eventual V3 fire sale, pick one up for a few hundred dollars at KEH like I did with my J1. Sigh.

Thom Hogan has a great write up about the V3 and what a weird misstep/mistake it is in design, marketing and features.

Nikon Introduces V3 | Sans Mirror ? mirrorless, interchangeable lens cameras | Thom Hogan

Chris

ptomsu

Workshop Member
While I find the micro SD cards not the best idea and Nikon would for sure have had free space enough in the V3 for SD cards, I think I can live with micro SD. They are actually cheap and buying 2 or 3 64G cards will not be a too bad addition to the high cost of the V3 kit.

I rather find the pricing of the kit with grip, kit zoom and EVF for €1200.- much too high - should have been around €800.- max.

And as was already mentioned, I would have loved a much faster kit zoom (at least 2.8 - 4, better full 2.8) instead of this kit lens.

I've not been one to rag on a new camera offering, maybe I wasn't interested enough in a given model to care. I may just be venting my disappointment in this case. I know many folks didn't care for the V1 but I really like it - just a solid built little camera that works well.
Maybe I will grow to accept the V3 and move on with it instead of griping about what it could have been.
We'll see..
Robert

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I think I'm starting to understand what Nikon is trying to achieve here. The camera has some advantages that others will have problems following, and very importantly: It's an all-in-one. One and the same camera body can grow from a reasonably pocketable device with a small prime or zoom:

to this:

to this 810mm eqv. :eek: :

to this:

Here's a relatively cool video showing one (paid) photographer's view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1Y_9B878Fws

I would hesitate to move from m4/3 to the V3, but since I use Nikon SLR cameras anyway, I would lie if I said that I haven't considered the option. The investment would be rather modest compared to what I would have to pay to get to top level m4/3 gear (GH4 + 42.5mm f/1.2 +++).

A travel set consisting of body with viewfinder plus 6.7-13mm, 18mm f/1.8 and 32mm f/1.2 looks tempting also :)

raist3d

I think I'm starting to understand what Nikon is trying to achieve here. The camera has some advantages that others will have problems following, and very importantly: It's an all-in-one. One and the same camera body can grow from a reasonably pocketable device with a small prime or zoom:
I do like what Nikon is trying to do here, but I just wish they had the right lenses. I also want to pick it up and see if the joke-plastic buttons they had in the V1/V2 are gone. I don't like it has the wheel in the back- I wish it had just buttons.

That said, I have some interest in it. I am not too encouraged by the samples I saw from them, but then it's probably all pre-production. I am going to hunt for F1.2 lens V2 raw files and see how they are.

- Ricardo

raist3d

I think it would not have been so difficult to integrate the EVF in a permanent hump in the middle of the camera, just as it is now if EVF is attached. And then they could have made a version without EVF (and possibility to attach an EVF.

Actually very simple ????? :confused:
Believe it or not as much as I hate detachable EVF's, this is probably the first one I am ok with because when attaching it looks "built-in" if that makes sense. Doesn't look like it will tear off or break. It does create the mutual exclusion from external flash though.

But I like if you want to make the camera even smaller, you do have the option.

- Ricardo

raist3d

Does someone know a real good source of well taken Nikon 1 V2 pics? In particular with the F1.8 and F1.2 primes...

thanks in advance.

- Ricardo