The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The contender is in : Sigma 50mm art

jduncan

Hi,

The new 50mm f1.4 art lens is now available for pre-order at $949

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Lens for Nikon F 311306 B&H Photo Video

The price is good, in fact, it cost less than Nikon 58mm f1.4G that disappointed me. So I may end up with the Sigma and some extra cash.

Basically the 58mm is useful for preserving point lights (like astro photography) and some people swear by the looks of the images, but in terms of general performance is mediocre.

Then we have the Otus, a magnificent lens all around but we a price tag to match and with no autofocus (important but my style of shutting, but not for all).

The initial reviews are positive :
Sigma Lens: Primes - Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM "A" (Tested) - SLRgear.com!

Notice that the test is for the Canon version. Maybe the D800E will be hable to set the Otus and the Sigma apart in a more significant way.

For less than a grant it looks great.

The issue of quality control (sample variation) is not that significative for us Nikon Shooters. With buttons whose paint falls apart (both on the D600 and D800), shutter and autofocus issues that are not properly address, color casts etc we wont see any difference between Nikon and Sigma. Nevertheless snobs will talk all the day about intangibles that make the sigma a lesser lens.

So let's the tests and experiences to go rolling.
In the other hand, what I really want is a 135mm f2.0 art (1).

Best regards,
J. Duncan

---

I am aware of the Zeiss 135 Apo, for me is the best lens there is, even better than the Otus, and the prices is just fantastic, but Again for my style of shooting and my Eyes I can't justify a manual focus lens

Last edited: