The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Potential Fun with Nikon 1 V3

raist3d

So got a call that they had it, and they had one and only. Went for it. More impressions coming later. For now...

- excellent build / feel

- UI as I expected is much better than what I had seen before in the Nikon 1 family

- well built quality buttons (finally!) - another reason why I was interested in it vs previous cameras

- You may know this but not all micro SD cards or memory is liked by Nikons. A Belkin card they had just did not work. Look for the brands (Sandisk, Lexar I guess)

- In good light as expected the camera focuses ridiculously fast (note: have not tried moving subjects)

- Weights more than a Ricoh GR

- Lens is fly by wire zoom, not a power zoom (was expecting more like a "rocker") but works. Extends fast, closes fast on turn off

- Using LR 5.4 right now to check on IQ (more on that later tonight- late)

- Will be getting an FT1 adapter if I keep (but it was TAXED as a sale, which is how these weird offers work at retail)

- LCD seems pretty nice to see in sun (have not tried stressful daylight conditions though)

- Contrast AF is not anywhere near as fast as the PDAF + contrast, seems at least as fast as the Q7.

- Using a 30MG micro disk San Disk card, an NEF + JPEG shooting, the files take a couple of seconds to save. If you fire away several shots, you will see the camera saving a shot (green light on) with a small green light off pause. The camera does have a big buffer but if you take say like 20 shots and you turn it off, the camera will continue saving all the shots before actually turn off and that point it blocks operation (you can't quickly go back to ON).

- Dials feel right- but I do not understand why since the camera already has two dials, Nikon had to add the 4-button+dial deal. I rather would have immensely preferred four buttons and just the front dial and upper dial. I don't understand this. I don't see what advantage this brings (and do I hate those wheels).

Bought it on the condition to return if it doesn't work for what I want. I will k now by tomorrow morning if I am keeping or not.

One more surprise I didn't expect- apparently the Camera can use the Nikon J2 batteries I think it is? So it's not a completely all new Nikon 1 V3 battery only (that's good).

- Ricardo

raist3d

Some quick links if you want to stay here- A lot of these are snaps and NOT photographs, nor a reflection of my work.

full 20MB file converted in LR 5.4
http://raist3d.typepad.com/files/dsc_0094.jpg

At regular web sizes it looks nice. This isn't a camera for pixel peeping, you will have some grain. If you want clean marble floors look elsewhere.

Jpeg out of camera

ISO 6400, converted from raw (no noise reduction), available light test

bradhusick

Thanks for sharing. This looks good for a 1" sensor camera and for web use, but there are so many better choices for photos these days (m4/3, APS-C) that outperform this IQ.

The V3 has some unique features that make it different but there's only so much room in the camera bag.

raist3d

Thanks for sharing. This looks good for a 1" sensor camera and for web use, but there are so many better choices for photos these days (m4/3, APS-C) that outperform this IQ.

The V3 has some unique features that make it different but there's only so much room in the camera bag.
Yes but "better" is relative. I realize that m4/3rds current sensors outperform this one (heck, the Sony RX100 MKII sensor crushes it in DR), but not a single m4/3rds does what I want it to be/do as a tool. Not one.

Of course, this is me for my needs, and I am not pretending even remotely so that it will extend to others. I am not trying to convince anyone that this is a good camera for someone needs, just providing information and people should decide accordingly.

The GX7 is the closest and it still has some issues, so like always, all about tradeoffs. I am not looking for Fuji Xtrans IQ here (I have an X-e1 which will be far less used than this, if I keep it).

I agree with you on camera bag- and if I decide to keep, I am selling the rest.

- Ricardo

Last edited:

raist3d

Let me expand on the m4/3rds one I commented as I am sure that may raise an eyebrow or two- I am looking at this point for a camera that has either a leaf shutter or electronic shutter. Doesn't have that? It's out.

That rules out every single m4/3rds Olympus and leaves me with the GM1 and GX7.

I tried the GM1 no less than four times, including a short night photo walk. Liked the sensor IQ more than I expected, but I absolutely hated using it. Michael Reichman at Luminous Landscape has exactly the same killer problem I had- that wheel dial in the back.

So that leaves me with the GX7. The GX7 just seems... a bit bigger than I would like. And the e-shutter only goes to ISO 3200 with what I read is a relatively small update/sensor read (1/10th) leaving ample opportunities for skew. Now, maybe in practice this is much less of an issue that it reads on paper as I have not really used one in that mode extensively.

The Ricoh GR- perfect/ideal camera for street life. Amazing really. The gold standard- but it's only 28mm and I want to do telephoto too. Had Ricoh come out with a teleconverter, I wouldn't be even bothering looking for a second at the Nikon 1 V3.

Pentax Q7- amazing little gem and I still love it to bits. Just wanted something that does better at night time and the Nikon 1 V3 with the fast primes, particularly the F1.2 seems like a match.

But the Q7 is the camera (along with the Ricoh GR) I was using the most. The 06 telephoto which just died on me unfortunately, is actually pretty good. To me it sets a small camera-ergonomics-feature set bar quite quite high.

This is what brings me to the Nikon 1 V3. Oh yes, it's over priced. I don't know if I am keeping yet but looks promising. The V3 is the first Nikon 1 body that seems to have reasonable build/ergonomics to me, and that's why it caught my attention- I never cared for their rest of the line.

There's also the distinctive feel that Nikon doesn't want my money but wants to steal it. Custom flash port, include in the USA a kit-lens only option for whose who may be upgrading in their Nikon 1 system they get a new lens whether they like it or not... this makes me hesitate.

Anyway, this should not read as me trying to convince anyone to buy into this camera or system. That's up to them.

It seems to me that in forums for some reason everyone feels compelled to justify why they go the tool of their dreams (only to change it 6 months later), but that's not the intent of what I am posting, - just to make that clear :)

- Ricardo

raist3d

OH, and Fuji. Well Fuji doesn't have a camera with a leaf shutter or e shutter other than the X100s and that doesn't do telephoto, so it's out.

To me Fuji is the gold standard in Image quality in anything sub-FF sans something like maybe a K-5II- but I see them on the same class.

Fuji is also a bit bigger than I would like as a system (though not horrible). You get the pancake lens (40mm, F2.8). Once you hit the XF35 F1.4 it starts a to get a bit bigger.

The XT1 is fantastic but in lower light it's less hot. If I was interested in focus, the V3 smokes pretty much everyone except maybe in some light situations.

I want good AF but I don't need ultimate AF. The Ricoh GR does well here with the snap focus too.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Ricardo,

thanks for sharing and really hope you will continue to like the V3!!!!

I am just on the fence to switch from m43 completely to Fuji - 2 main reasons are IQ as well as the all about the XT1 which I tried again last week and finally ordered it while giving back my loved XE2. The XT1 as a camera just works so much better for me! Even better than the EM1 I think, but I will give this some more time and keep the EM1 for now before I can decide on the complete switch.

Anyway coming back to the V3 I really think this is a great camera, just not what I want from such a system.

Enjoy,

Peter

raist3d

We are living in a moment were *all cameras* are pretty good and it's a matter to look with honesty at your needs and wants and match accordingly. All systems have their flavors, pros and cons. Just pick accordingly.

I am not "leaving Fuji" or Pentax Q or Ricoh for a Nikon 1 thinking those aren't good cameras. Totally the opposite. The Fuji is to me the standard in IQ and ergonomics, so is the Q along with an incredibly creative and stimulating feature set and so is the Ricoh GR along with superb lens/image quality also in an impossibly compact body.

We are really lucky. I am not sure I will keep the V3 for sure yet though I just got two new lenses so it means I am biased to keep it now, but I am at a point I would have to sell it forward if it doesn't quite work.

Got the F1.8 so let's see how that does tonight.

- Ricardo

Thanks for your time, effort and info Ricardo. Couple of questions. I believe the kit lens retracts when the camera turns off and on. Does it retract when zooming? How easy and precise is the zooming? How much better is the GR compared to the V3 in low light? One stop, two or ? Can you confirm the AE-AL button can be used as an AF-ON button to separate focus from the shutter? Much appreciated Ricardo.

raist3d

Thanks for your time, effort and info Ricardo. Couple of questions. I believe the kit lens retracts when the camera turns off and on.
Yes, correct.

Does it retract when zooming?
Kinda moves back and forth depending on zoom level. Doesn't really retract when it's active.

How easy and precise is the zooming?
It's ok. I wouldn't call it precise per se but not clumsy either. You can do some small turns. It's more an issue of how fast you turn and then it moves faster, so it's part learning how the lens reads your turns.

How much better is the GR compared to the V3 in low light? One stop, two or ?
The Ricoh GR sensor is in general about 2 stops better- seems like the rule is 1 stop to m4/3rds and another to the Ricoh (APS-C) or almost. But one thing to keep in mind is the Ricoh GR is F2.8 fixed, while there is an F1.8 and F1.2 option on the V3.

That said- at lowest ISO the Ricoh GR has less noise (clean pretty much), super pixel sharp and has notably more DR. Once the iso climbs, in a way, the difference is less.

I will say this though- if you want a street camera and you are a wide angle photographer- go with the Ricoh GR- hands down.

If I wanted to even shoot just 50mm I would probably keep the Ricoh GR even at the 5.6 megapixel crop mode.

Can you confirm the AE-AL button can be used as an AF-ON button to separate focus from the shutter? Much appreciated Ricardo.
Yes, from what I see you can use it to have the camera focus then shoot as needed with the shutter.

- Ricardo

Last edited:

raist3d

It was exported to Dxo-> back to lightroom and unfortunately in what I did, recompressed twice. So yeah, it has a bit of that. The original is better IQ.

I may have over sharpened it in the color one. I should probably do it again.

- Ricardo

raist3d

I just discovered I exported some shots (like the color cat) in ProPhotoRGB space by accident. Make sure you use a color profile aware browser.

- Ricardo

Ricardo, I have the V1 and Ricoh GR. I agree the GR is perhaps the best street camera available. In good light the V1 is a fine street rig, particularly with a fast prime - and V1 images look great when converted to B&W. No doubt the V3 will produce more detailed images but for the real question is low light capability. Don't expect it to be GR quality, just close. Combined with great reach in a small package, lens versatility and amazing focusing abilities, I would be happy with a V3.