The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Availability Tamron 150-600mm Nikon mount?

gurtch

I have had one on pre-order from B&H for ages. Anyone have any ideas when they might ship? We live on the bay in NJ and the wading birds are arriving, and I had sold my long lenses when I switched to Nikon D800E. I don't expect the quality similar to my previously owned Canon 500mm IS and 1.4X, but I have seen the reviews, and they look promising. Since I do not do this for a living, this lens is as much I want to spend for a hobby...I really like stalking the birds here.
Best to all
Dave in NJ

BlinkingEye

Stalking the birds with the Tamron will be a frustrating experience for you since you are familiar with the 500mm f/4. Good luck and report in after you finally get it.

D&A

Dave, I've spoken with three separate Tamron reps since the release of the Canon version. Two of the reps I know well and just spoke with one of them a couple days ago. None of them had a release date for this lens in Nikon mount. Although from my understanding Tamron does pay royalties for use of Nikon Af mount and electronics associated with it, rumors have been mentioned regarding either issues with patent infringement that need to be worked out or that Tamron is trying to circumvent. It may simply be a technical problem they discovered, specific for thr Nikon mount version. I'm sure only those close to the situation really know.

Must be a great time of year where you are to photograph.

Dave (D&A)

gurtch

Thanks Dave. Yes the wading birds are starting to come back to our marsh/wet lands. The tourists are also coming back, but that is what makes this island's economy work. (They put footprints in my sand dunes! UGH!). I saw over on Photo.net a link to a Japanese site that said the Nikon mount was released domestically, and expected to be overseas "mid May". We shall see.
Dave in NJ

D&A

Thanks Dave. Yes the wading birds are starting to come back to our marsh/wet lands. The tourists are also coming back, but that is what makes this island's economy work. (They put footprints in my sand dunes! UGH!). I saw over on Photo.net a link to a Japanese site that said the Nikon mount was released domestically, and expected to be overseas "mid May". We shall see.
Dave in NJ
Dave, if the lens has been released in Japan, then it can't be long before we see it on this side of the pond. I hope so. Sounds like LBI is a wonderful place to visit and photohraph and we've been contemplating a week long vacation their sometime. Of course we'll make sure to avoid putting footprints on the sand dunes :).

Dave (D&A)

gurtch

Dave, if the lens has been released in Japan, then it can't be long before we see it on this side of the pond. I hope so. Sounds like LBI is a wonderful place to visit and photohraph and we've been contemplating a week long vacation their sometime. Of course we'll make sure to avoid putting footprints on the sand dunes :).

Dave (D&A)
Dave: the absolute best time here is Sept into early Oct. Crowds are gone, the weather is glorious, great skies. Please let me know when you come, so we can show you all the photogenic sites.
Best regards
Dave

D&A

Dave: the absolute best time here is Sept into early Oct. Crowds are gone, the weather is glorious, great skies. Please let me know when you come, so we can show you all the photogenic sites.
Best regards
Dave
Dave, Thanks ever so much. That time of year actually might be the best time for us and I suppose a house rental for a week would be more reasonable then? The bugger question is if LBI is big enough to accommodate two 645D shooters? Of course that may not be an issue by the time Sept. rolls around since one of us may already be shooting with the new 645Z ....LOL!

gurtch

The 645Z looks VERY tempting indeed. What I really need is the replacement screen AB -82 split image. Of the nine lenses I own, 7 are manual focus (I prefer them), and a split image would make manual focusing much easier. I have tried everywhere, including an order I placed from Hong Kong. Their web site said they had one, and I ordered it. Turns out they didn't, and I was refunded. I have no clue why Ricoh does not re-issue that screen. Possibly they do not want to encourage us to buy old MF lenses, but want to sell us AF lenses?
Best....
Dave

gurtch

The 645Z looks VERY tempting indeed. What I really need is the replacement screen AB -82 split image. Of the nine lenses I own, 7 are manual focus (I prefer them), and a split image would make manual focusing much easier. I have tried everywhere, including an order I placed from Hong Kong. Their web site said they had one, and I ordered it. Turns out they didn't, and I was refunded. I have no clue why Ricoh does not re-issue that screen. Possibly they do not want to encourage us to buy old MF lenses, but want to sell us AF lenses?
Best....
Dave
It just dawned on me I should repost over on the 645Z thread....maybe someone may know where to get a screen.
Dave