Site Sponsors

Thread: Leica R Leitax'd lense results

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica R Leitax'd lense results

I make this post with trepidation, but, having received a lot of support over the years, I thought this might be of interest.

I have a:
    50 Cron
    19 Elmarit
    100 APO Elmarit
    180 APO Telyt
    28-90 Elmarit

and the Zeiss Otus and 135. All the R lenses have been Leitaxed. A friend wanted to try pointing them at a brick wall to see how the R lenses handled a D800E. My threshold of pain is very low for such exercises but if anyone wants to see the results, please PM me. I have no interest in discussing the results at length.

As I have said many times before, I think that sharpness is overrated but seeing the results side by side are interesting. PM me if you want to see any of them.
    Last edited by Jeffg53; 12th May 2014 at 19:06.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leica R Leitax'd lense results

Jeff

I maybe be one of a few readers that actually uses many of the mentioned lenses on Nikon bodies . In my experience they are all great lenses more than capable of producing outstanding results . They are limited more by the skills of the photographer than any small differences in performance .

The Leica R and Zeiss lenses do however differ in how they render a scene and this is best understood by looking at images taken using the same sensor . Diglloyd has plenty of examples with these lenses on his website (a pay site ) that cover this in more detail than I ever need. These lenses are very expensive individually and together prohibitive for most photographers …so reviewing his website is well worth the expense . You do need to focus on the examples as DL conclusions can be overly caustic or judgmental .

With that said the new Zeiss Otus is in a different league from a technical perspective and yet has a superb aesthetic as well . It is however as large as the 24-70/2.8 nikkor and not a lot of fun to carry . I have one and rarely use it preferring the Nikon 58/1.4 AF for family shooting and the 50/1.4 (60mm) R when I am traveling with the D800/E .

Brick wall tests are actually quite hard to do properly (see Tim Ashley s blog) due to alignment and often put more emphasis on flatness of field than actual rendering differences . Direct application of the lenses to your photographic interests would probably be both more fun and insightful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Leica R Leitax'd lense results

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    Direct application of the lenses to your photographic interests would probably be both more fun and insightful.
    Roger,

I couldn't agree more. I much prefer to look at real world results. I gave up on Diglloyd years ago when he spent an hour trying out an H3D and then declared that a 5D was superior.

I haven't had the opportunity to work with my lenses a lot as yet. Buying the Otus was partially motivated by the thought that it would be my lens of choice from a helicopter. I would dearly love a while in Iceland with it.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com