Site Sponsors

Thread: D800E Exposure metering

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

D800E Exposure metering

I haven't tried long exposures on the D800E and was just playing around in anticipation. Metering goes up to 30 seconds and then Bulb. Is this what it is? My Hasselblad kept on reading out to 4 minutes which is the maximum exposure time. I'm starting to feel glad that I still have my old Sekonic 608.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: D800E Exposure metering

I don't know why Nikon does this. With auto modes it can do very long exposure times. Much longer than 4 minutes. But it won't show you anything longer than 30 seconds, or let you set anything longer. So you're forced to calculate some other way and use the T or B setting.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably to keep it from running down the battery if the shutter is accidentally released while it has a lens cap on or is in a bag. Some upper limit makes sense, and 30 seconds is as good as any other value really. A 30 second limit is quicker to discover than a 4 minute one...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I guess that my other option is to up the ISO. It's been a while since I had to contemplate using a light meter.

I must admit to being a little surprised to find that a MF camera has more function than a DSLR if only in one detail.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com