The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C1 v Lightroom

Paul2660

Yes, I have always, stored my raw files off line, in raid arrays. Stored by year, then day of shoot, then camera. Flat format non relational. But it works for me.

When I need a file/files etc, then I just import the needed images.

I move around PC's too much to really use a catalog, as I will do some work in the field on a Macbook pro (running bootcamp win7) and then in studio, on desktop units.

Paul

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes, I have always, stored my raw files off line, in raid arrays. Stored by year, then day of shoot, then camera. Flat format non relational. But it works for me.

When I need a file/files etc, then I just import the needed images.

I move around PC's too much to really use a catalog, as I will do some work in the field on a Macbook pro (running bootcamp win7) and then in studio, on desktop units.

Paul
So being new to LR i just download my images from my cards on to the desktop import them in place where they sit than export a output file within the same folder ( ala C1 style) than do my processing than move them off the desktop after I am done. Im not really interested in the catalog feature of LR and just continue in the same vain as session. Client name/Job and date. This way my system does not change. Than that gets backed up in 3 places

Since I have a 1tb PCI SSD drive in my MBP i have room to leave my folder on my desktop for a couple weeks in case I have to go back in and redo a image or something. One thing I did was create a Data hold folder on my desktop and put these extra files in there so the anal person I am does not have to look at a million file folders on my desktop. I just like a clean looking desktop.

mbroomfield

The only problem with that approach Guy (unless I'm misreading it somehow) is that when you move the folder off the desktop after you're done LR will loose track of them. If you need to go back for some more processing in LR then you'll have to "find" them for the catalog. Not difficult if you know where they are but an extra step.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Mike absolutely correct I do lose the files and than would have to go find them off the working Raid0 drive I have setup. Not a big deal as it would be the exact duplicate of the original folder anyway so just need to point it there.

fotografz

Jack, you haven't commented on this recently.

I wonder what IQ aspects of LR that is putting you off? Perhaps LR users could address some of those concerns? Or perhaps they can't be addressed, and the stability issues with C1 need to be trumpeted louder so they do something about it? After all, you have a long history with C1, and flip-flopping back and forth between RAW processors is a giant PITA.

As you know, I stuck with LR despite opinions from respected photographers such as yourself (C1), and Jono (Aperture). This was made easier when Leica used DNG RAW, and alined themselves with Adobe (especially the S system lens profiles) ... same with Hasselblad who furnished all the profile data and DAC corrections to Adobe. As Guy pointed out, the Sony files seem to respond to LR well, and I'd second that opinion. So, all of my selected camera systems were/are well served by LR in terms of IQ.

IMO, all of these software products take a fair amount of time to get a handle on, and while all of them can initially deliver results with a little effort, a longer learning curve usually reveals far more sophistication than one would suspect ... LR is no exception.

Personally, I deal with a lot of images at a time, more importantly a lot of different cameras and lenses with-in a session that is organized by time shot (sometimes up to five systems if I count my second shooter's cameras).

LR makes this quite easy to do ... and I can segregate each camera/lens by selecting them in the meta-data menu ... yet they are never out of order when I return to the full Library session. That, and the ability to "Open In" any software program I wish including PS, while never leaving the Library makes LR the only game in town for me. Frankly, between PS and LR's synergistic interaction, there is very little that can't be done without leaving LR.

Now here's either a very stupid question, or a stroke of genius:
Can C1 be selected as an "Open In" option in LR's preferences? I ask this because I can't try it myself since I don't have C1.

When I was shooting with Hasselblads, I generally used LR for 95% of the images ... but there were certain images I felt would be better served by the Hasselblad Phocus software ... however, I never thought to try this "Open In" notion back then. Sure would be cool if it worked.

- Marc

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Folks,

we can meanwhile leave Aperture out of the equation - unfortunately

Apple to cease development of Aperture

Apple to cease development of Aperture: Digital Photography Review

Not sure what the new Photo App from Apple will really be, I see it more as a cloudified iPhoto, but maybe I am wrong.

So after C1 is not really useable and Aperture no longer developed further, LR may be the best solution for the future.

Peter

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

I stand by my comment in another thread back in May 2013:

"I'm also surprised by the stability comments, I have never had it (i.e. Capture One) crash or freeze or anything like that, not a single time.

(I'm on an Intel i5 CPU 12 Gb RAM HP desktop with 64-bit Windows 7)."

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/image-processing/46012-what-features-would-you-add-c1p.html#post515791

Are there any other Windows users running Capture One 7 on Windows ?

And if so, what are your experiences with this ?

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Now here's either a very stupid question, or a stroke of genius:
Can C1 be selected as an "Open In" option in LR's preferences? I ask this because I can't try it myself since I don't have C1.

When I was shooting with Hasselblads, I generally used LR for 95% of the images ... but there were certain images I felt would be better served by the Hasselblad Phocus software ... however, I never thought to try this "Open In" notion back then. Sure would be cool if it worked.

- Marc
Marc,

It works just like the PS shuffle...set C1 as the second external editor in preferences and you then can choose to go to PS or to C1...then from C1 to PS if desired.

Nice to see this as an option.

Bob

M

mjr

Whilst this would work, for me the value in C1 is the RAW processing, obviously others may see different things but I can open and process, save out the tiff files and import those in to LR. Processing in LR then opening them in C1 would bypass the good bit for me, depends on what you like I suppose.

Mat

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Whilst this would work, for me the value in C1 is the RAW processing, obviously others may see different things but I can open and process, save out the tiff files and import those in to LR. Processing in LR then opening them in C1 would bypass the good bit for me, depends on what you like I suppose.

Mat
I assume that if your primary is LR you can import there ... if the file does not look great clear the history and then try C1 as an alternative...but I agree that it would be for only an occasional file.

Still I think the DAM aspect of LR is somewhat better than C1...personal preference.

Bob

Stan ROX

Jack, pardon me for answering a question you didn't ask, but I think NX is underrated. I can easily do things with it that are hard for me duplicate with C1 and LR. Admittedly, C1 was so difficult for me to learn that I don't think I ever really got it. I really like the color booster feature in NX. I usually can get the color where I want it without things getting weird. Also it contains a lot of the Nik engine in easy to use form. I usually run my files through NX before PS. I think Nikon put a lot of work into the package, and because it's easy to use, some people think it's not as good.

I think I probably just revealed myself as a Philistine.
I agree with lmeiners. NX can do magic with the files.

There's even a plugin to integrate CaptureNX into the LR workflow.
NxTooLRPlugin

S.

Hulyss Bowman

I agree with Stan but I will go further.

View NX is free and it is for me the best tool to work the NEFs. Once the NEFs cooked just export a tiff.

C1 might be a good software but it is an hassle to use it. To much complicated and not very user friendly.

Lightroom is a good generalist software but very bad for NEFs. For me, LR is very good with Leica DNG and Fuji files.

I use C17P but only to cook Phase one files.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I ve never been happy with the raw processing in LR for the .NEF files . Direct side by side comparisons with NX/2 showed that the Nef files had much better color and detail than I was getting with LR .

I am happy with LR as my DAM approach using external folders ..personally I think this is as good as it gets and can handle any requirement I know of . I am also pleased with 95% of the rest of LR for processing ,export,printing etc . And this gets better with each release .

Camera profiling helps a lot with LR but its not a one size fits all . I found I often needed specific profiles for individual shoots . Not difficult but not required with say my Leica DNG files .

So its the raw conversions where LR seems lacking . I plan on reprocessing my best selects with NX but thats not an ideal work flow.

dogstarnyc

FWIW...

I left C1 years ago after managing to get my Phase one files to look great in LR (LR is great for DAM, as well as all the upload/output options).

After catching up on this thread yesterday I downloaded the beta of Nikon's new NX-D and open a recent D800E portrait in both LR and NX-D

The NX file was opened up by 2/3 of a stop and more (better) contrasty but certainly not night and day.

The slight reddish skin tones where still apparent in both processes.

Oberservations:

LR under exposes both my PhaseOne and Nikon RAWs (to save highlights?)
I shoot in Nikon Neutral and often apply my own profile on import to LR
Said profile often dials out most of the red in the skin tones if not I dial it out in LR (dev mode at bottom).

I still think that if you spend enough time learning a (powerful) bit of software your options are limitless, it is US that is the bottleneck, if C1 or NX can create a fab profile, then so can we. it just needs a bit of patience, a method and lots of tea/cawfee/wine/JD....

In addition, here are a few reasons I use LR, this might help or hinder... :)

Import- I import as DNG, backs are original raws, then those raws are backed up to a drive that lives mostly off site.
tithe key~ after import (adding simple search words and numbering) use the 'L' key or shift/tab key to isolate 1st image, then use space bar to go to next pic, use the tithe key to flag the ones you like (forget about stars or colours, you either like it or you don't).

Once you've done that, double click last image to get you back to grid format and click filters off in top right and click flagged, then go edit-select all.

Scroll down the left hand file location box to collections, create new 'model shoot edit 1' or whatever and it will ask if you want to include these selected images, say yes.

Nothing gets moved at all, it means you don't have to keep referring back to every pic from a shoot, you are working with your edits..

You can then cut that down even further with edit 2, 3 clients choice etc...

'Create virtual copy'
Really great if you want to see how an image looks 3 different ways...

User PRESETS
wow, everything you do from import to print or web layout can be saved as a preset and used again for perfect consistency... WOW..

NO DESTRUCTIVE EDITING...
DOUBLE WOW need I say more.. couple that with history and it just speeds up input/back up and output to customers via the web/email/pdf

just some quick random points that might help and get you out shooting more...

Steve

dogstarnyc

OK here are two jpegs one developed in NX and one LR.

Just to show what I did to get them very close...

The LR jpeg was created from the file imported and converted to DNG, shot in camera neutral.
jpeg quality was 89% sharpened on export for screen 600px on the shorter edge.

The NX jpeg was created from the original .NEF file in NX-D Beta same thing 89% quality, 600px on the shorter edge.

What I did to the LR file to get it this close was:
Add +.95 to the exposure
Use the strong contrast curve already available under the curve graph
Use current Adobe 2012 process at the bottom of the RH pane and also select camera neutral here.

The NX software adds some sharpening, I applied none in LR and just let it produce 'sharpen for screen' on export.

It was very quick and easy to apply these and even save the adjustments as a preset to apply again or... to apply to all the shots on this shoot just right click and copy the adjustments and apply to all the others.

jlm

Workshop Member
paul:
"adjustments for perspective, LR is more user friendly. I have really never been able to figure out the C1 adjustments here, and have tried quite a few times."

select the keystone tool (icon is two converging vertical lines)
two vertical lines will appear on your elected image, each with a control point, one high, one low. for LS line, drag control points (and the line) to match an image line you want to be vertical; same for right side. choose "apply"

and yes! to the history function for C1