The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

3 lens for the D800 - money no object....

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Yes, but the 28/2.0 has not been tested and the 85/1.4, 85/1.2 and 55/1.2 (55mm, not 50mm) are not on the list and for good reason. I think there is someone in Japan doing conversions of the 85/1.4 to F-mount. I even think I found a web or email address a couple of years ago, and they do surface on the Great, Big Auction Site now and then. The question is if it's worth the hassle compared to buying a ZF.2. The f/1.2 versions... that's another story :p

But for those with access to a hacksaw, there is a bargain priced 55mm available on that website right now, at only $8,899.11. The offer ends in just 2 days, so you'd better run :ROTFL:

Kyndel

sigma ART 35
sigma ART 50
Nikon G 85/ 1.4

but, i've just order a nikon 50 1.8 G SE… because sometimes art lens aren't just small enough !

but it depends so much of your type of shooting,
if i wasn't using my arca RM3D 90% of the time, my 3 lenses were =

24 pc-e
45 pc-e
85 pc-e

i still can't understand why there's no 35 pc-e !
Discover the fantastic resistance against flare and ghosting (50mm f/1.8G)

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Money no object? Image quality is subjective and can be a combination of qualities that add up to a special lens not just some clinical sharpness measure.

I'd choose the legendary Zeiss CY mount 21/2.8, 28/2 "Hollywood", 50/1.2 Anniversary, and 85/1.2 Anniversary … plus a fee to Sherlock Homes Inc., to find them ;)

For a zoom, the uber-rare Leica R24-70/2.8 … and 70-280

- Marc
I have the 21/2.8 and 28/2 CY mount if someone was looking . :D

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Yes, but the 28/2.0 has not been tested and the 85/1.4, 85/1.2 and 55/1.2 (55mm, not 50mm) are not on the list and for good reason. I think there is someone in Japan doing conversions of the 85/1.4 to F-mount. I even think I found a web or email address a couple of years ago, and they do surface on the Great, Big Auction Site now and then. The question is if it's worth the hassle compared to buying a ZF.2. The f/1.2 versions... that's another story :p

But for those with access to a hacksaw, there is a bargain priced 55mm available on that website right now, at only $8,899.11. The offer ends in just 2 days, so you'd better run :ROTFL:
You can convert some of the CY lenses to a Nikon mount with an Leitax mount kit . Not a simple conversion .

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
My picks ….19/2.8,35/1.4 and 80/1.4 Leica R lenses …..with the 100/2.8 ,180/2.8APO and 50/1.4 (60mm ),28/2.8 Leica R my bonus picks . (You said cost was not a consideration) . All converted to Nikon with a Leitax mount .

These lenses are small by comparison to AF alternatives ,each has a well known signature and a common Leica R aesthetic . Took me a year to assemble this set .

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
The main drawback is some of the great lenses are also huge (85/1.4, 24/1.4, 200/2, etc) or they're manual focus meaning shooting without continuous tracking, which means shooting when the subject is in focus or doing something interesting but not regularly both. Which in turn means highly technical, static imagery - nothing wrong with that, but it's quite limiting. Or the occasional lucky strike. Not so great when someone expects 150 in-focus technically excellent shots to pick among.

jlancasterd

My 'go-to' lens for the D800(E) is the 24-120 f4 Nikkor. Invaluable if you want to travel light.

Otherwise I would say the two Sigma Art-series f1.4 primes - the 35mm and 50mm.

I'm hoping for a Sigma 24mm f1.4 Art (or, better, an f1.4 or f2 21mm!) at the next Photokina.