Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I love DSLR

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: I love DSLR

Sidebar comment --- are most current string of digicams so good technically that we are getting to the point we "don't really care" what we shoot with nowadays??? It seems we all migrate to ergos, weight, balance or what lenses we can mount. I get it all, just got me thinking it's interesting times for photographers. I mean, I would right now L O V E to go out with some sheet film and a light-weight 5x7 view cam again, but no frigging labs makes that a tougher proposition for me...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Sidebar comment --- are most current string of digicams so good technically that we are getting to the point we "don't really care" what we shoot with nowadays??? It seems we all migrate to ergos, weight, balance or what lenses we can mount. I get it all, just got me thinking it's interesting times for photographers. I mean, I would right now L O V E to go out with some sheet film and a light-weight 5x7 view cam again, but no frigging labs makes that a tougher proposition for me...
    There are no simple answers to that question, Jack. Seen from one side, current technology has given us possibilities that we couldn't even dream about 15 or 20 years ago. Size, technical quality and price make it possible to take photos that weren't thinkable then. Nikon F5 vs. Panasonic LX100? The Panasonic would shred the F5 to pieces. Nikon D4s vs. Panasonic LX100? That's not a clear cut case, but the Panasonic is probably good enough for most to "not really care" about dragging the Nikon beast around.

However, when it comes to the "look" of the photos, things tend to come out differently. The look of large or even medium format film is very difficult to replicate with anything digital. The experience I have gathered over recent years also tells me that the look of 35mm digital sometimes can be hard to replicate with a sensor a quarter of the size, like in m4/3. Colour fidelity, detail rendering, bokeh etc. all look good with my GH3, at least most of the time, but it takes some premium glass to get there, and the D700 still looks better, even with cheap lenses.

The beauty of it is that we have access to both if we so wish. Here's an example:

I wish I could say that I needed my F6 or my big Fuji loaded with Portra to capture this, but I didn't of course. The only thing available to me at that moment was the Nokia in my pocket. That photo wouldn't have happened 10 years ago, and even if it had, it would have been difficult to get the image quality the Nokia offers with any camera available at the time.
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 22nd November 2014 at 18:58.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    The only thing available to me at that moment was the Nokia in my pocket. That photo wouldn't have happened 10 years ago, and even if it had, it would have been difficult to get the image quality the Nokia offers with any camera available at the time.
    And that pretty much sums it up.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So, there is no clear advantage to owning a DSLR?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I suppose "Clear Advantage" would heavily depend on purpose/intent/application wouldn't it?

Mirror-less/EVF present no advantage in studio work. Currently, most are ill suited for wedding and event work compared to your average DSLR. None are the size of a cell phone, so "images of opportunity" are no better served than a DSLR would provide.

So, I can see a long trek landscape shooter loving the demure size, and those folks with couch-potato physiques, aging body parts or infirmities liking the feather weight shoulder effect.

However, to espouse that we couldn't take today's mirror-less images with yesterday's DSLR gear is fan-boy selective memory. Thankfully, that remains the domain of the photographer rather than what camera is in their hand.

- Marc
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    However, to espouse that we couldn't take today's mirror-less images with yesterday's DSLR gear is fan-boy selective memory. Thankfully, that remains the domain of the photographer rather than what camera is in their hand.

- Marc
    Mirror-less just makes taking certain images much easier than this was in pure DSLR ages.

Peter
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Mirror-less just makes taking certain images much easier than this was in pure DSLR ages.

Peter
    There is a thread going about replacing the screen in a Df. That brought back a lot of memories and further highlights why the EVF is so much better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Yes, there is, staring with better AF and larger selection of lenses - especially extreme tele, macro, shift etc.

And the fact that no EVF to date is really suitable for high contrast scenes - try the X-T1 is the snow covered alps - its a **** nightmare.

In fact, like Jorgen, I'm debating dumping the Fuji and buying a D750.....

Post Thanks / Like

Peter
    Like what.....?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And the use of an iPhone to make use of the live view (D810)..

Quote Originally Posted by Swissblad View Post
    Yes, there is, staring with better AF and larger selection of lenses - especially extreme tele, macro, shift etc.

And the fact that no EVF to date is really suitable for high contrast scenes - try the X-T1 is the snow covered alps - its a **** nightmare.

In fact, like Jorgen, I'm debating dumping the Fuji and buying a D750.....
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter
    Just curious Peter ... certain images such as ... ?

Don't get me wrong, it is amazing what is being done to shrink the tools. However, I equate functional aspects directly to the tasks I have at hand ... so, there well may be others that revel in the new new tech, but I don't see it as replacing DSLRs for many applications quite yet. Thus the curiosity as to what images or tasks others see as being "easier".

IMO, it is far easier to use a DSLR in studio (I work with both) ... and as far a Sony is concerned not having instant LCD review makes it even slower for shooting events. The lag is not conducive to "decisive moment" type work, smearing when moving the camera in low light is far more distracting than a OVF, etc. etc. Thus my A7R is my least used money maker tool and is reserved for walk about non critical stuff and some travel stuff just because it's small ... but in truth is over-kill for 90% of it.

I do "get" that you can use some specialty lenses like T/S, yet size has little to do with that since most of it is tripod work.

For my M lenses, the Monochrome is a far better solution in almost every respect.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If companies like Nikon had been more on top of things, they would have implemented some of the mirrorless features on their DSLR bodies faster. The fact that the D750 is the first FX body with an articulated LCD is just plain silly. This is one of the most useful features that digital photography has enabled, and it became common with p&s cameras a decade ago.

Better video implementation should also be on the list. Nikon have bragged about their video capabilities since the D90. Unfortunately, there's nothing to brag about, not then and not now. What's holding them back?

When it comes to what's suitable for what, the list on each side can be quite long. Any fast paced photography of stationary subjects is clearly the domain of mirrorless cameras. Taking photos at badly lit sports events leaves the high-tech in the dust though, even compared with dinosaurs like the D2Xs. I've tried and failed several times. The best is the D700. It's one of the most reliable machines ever.

The real strike of genius from Nikon's side is the new f/1.8 series. This will chain lots of photographers to their Nikon bodies for years to come. Reasonable prices and sizes, excellent optical quality. It isn't easy to leave a system that offers something like that.

Edit: Two other features that would make the D750 stand out even more:

- A sensor that use the hybrid AF of the V3
    - The possibility of using the EVF from the V3 in the hot-shoe of the D750. That alone would make the camera so much more useful for video
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 23rd November 2014 at 08:22.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swissblad View Post
    Like what.....?
    Simply because you can judge images on WYSIWYG in the EVF

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Mirror-less/EVF present no advantage in studio work.
    What kind of studio work?

By and large, I find the EVF/LCD view of things much better than peering through an SLR peephole when working with a live subject, doing copy work, or when doing tabletop photography in the studio. It's one of the areas that I've ditched using the SLR entirely, the mirrorless cameras with an articulated LCD or EVF are just much easier to work with. And the quality is identical.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious Peter ... certain images such as ... ?

Don't get me wrong, it is amazing what is being done to shrink the tools. However, I equate functional aspects directly to the tasks I have at hand ... so, there well may be others that revel in the new new tech, but I don't see it as replacing DSLRs for many applications quite yet. Thus the curiosity as to what images or tasks others see as being "easier".

IMO, it is far easier to use a DSLR in studio (I work with both) ... and as far a Sony is concerned not having instant LCD review makes it even slower for shooting events. The lag is not conducive to "decisive moment" type work, smearing when moving the camera in low light is far more distracting than a OVF, etc. etc. Thus my A7R is my least used money maker tool and is reserved for walk about non critical stuff and some travel stuff just because it's small ... but in truth is over-kill for 90% of it.

I do "get" that you can use some specialty lenses like T/S, yet size has little to do with that since most of it is tripod work.

For my M lenses, the Monochrome is a far better solution in almost every respect.

- Marc
    Marc,

the size advantage is only a small aspect and as we all know too small is not always an advantage.

I get your point that DSLRs are better in some situations like studio etc. And I have shot my whole life SLRs and DSLRs for the past 15 years (as many of us who are older ) and actually some of the best for me were Leica R and Contax RTSIII SLRs - all without AF and dare I say I could (and still can) handle a great SLR system equally good in many situations than any of the modern DSLRs or CSCs.

But with the advantage of good EVFs a lot gets easier when judging the composition in every shot on what you actually see in the EVF - even if slower and some lag, although the lag in Fuji (XT1) and Olympus (EM1) cameras became almost negligible. I do agree that in low light the EVFs become more tricky to use though - but even then they are not too bad.

Leica MM - well this is nothing for me as I am shooting almost no B&W but well one should never say never again

Peter
    Last edited by ptomsu; 23rd November 2014 at 13:17.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    The best is the D700. It's one of the most reliable machines ever.
    I concur - the D700 was the 1st digital camera I really took to - it just felt right and the IQ was tremendous - it's still a serious piece of equipment - and at 8fps with grip - no slouch - but.... it is heavy!
    Last edited by Swissblad; 23rd November 2014 at 11:41.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mjr View Post
    I understand what you are saying Jorgen, I guess in the big scheme of things, the increase in size seems negligible when the shot counts and when a shot presents itself I want to capture it in the best way I can. I can understand also that for me size doesn't matter but for others it does.

For me a camera has to make me want to use it, normally that means because the images it produces are great, I can definitely live with the extra bulk.

Mat
    This comment started a thought process that resulted in the D810 sitting on the desk in front of me. My wallet hates you, Mat

Post Thanks / Like

Haha, you're welcome Jorgen, I hope you enjoy using it, superb camera no doubt! Looking forward to seeing the shots you make with it.

Mat