The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I love DSLR

fotografz

Mirror-less just makes taking certain images much easier than this was in pure DSLR ages.

Peter
Just curious Peter ... certain images such as ... ?

Don't get me wrong, it is amazing what is being done to shrink the tools. However, I equate functional aspects directly to the tasks I have at hand ... so, there well may be others that revel in the new new tech, but I don't see it as replacing DSLRs for many applications quite yet. Thus the curiosity as to what images or tasks others see as being "easier".

IMO, it is far easier to use a DSLR in studio (I work with both) ... and as far a Sony is concerned not having instant LCD review makes it even slower for shooting events. The lag is not conducive to "decisive moment" type work, smearing when moving the camera in low light is far more distracting than a OVF, etc. etc. Thus my A7R is my least used money maker tool and is reserved for walk about non critical stuff and some travel stuff just because it's small ... but in truth is over-kill for 90% of it.

I do "get" that you can use some specialty lenses like T/S, yet size has little to do with that since most of it is tripod work.

For my M lenses, the Monochrome is a far better solution in almost every respect.

- Marc

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If companies like Nikon had been more on top of things, they would have implemented some of the mirrorless features on their DSLR bodies faster. The fact that the D750 is the first FX body with an articulated LCD is just plain silly. This is one of the most useful features that digital photography has enabled, and it became common with p&s cameras a decade ago.

Better video implementation should also be on the list. Nikon have bragged about their video capabilities since the D90. Unfortunately, there's nothing to brag about, not then and not now. What's holding them back?

When it comes to what's suitable for what, the list on each side can be quite long. Any fast paced photography of stationary subjects is clearly the domain of mirrorless cameras. Taking photos at badly lit sports events leaves the high-tech in the dust though, even compared with dinosaurs like the D2Xs. I've tried and failed several times. The best is the D700. It's one of the most reliable machines ever.

The real strike of genius from Nikon's side is the new f/1.8 series. This will chain lots of photographers to their Nikon bodies for years to come. Reasonable prices and sizes, excellent optical quality. It isn't easy to leave a system that offers something like that.

Edit: Two other features that would make the D750 stand out even more:

- A sensor that use the hybrid AF of the V3
- The possibility of using the EVF from the V3 in the hot-shoe of the D750. That alone would make the camera so much more useful for video

Last edited:

Godfrey

Mirror-less/EVF present no advantage in studio work.
What kind of studio work?

By and large, I find the EVF/LCD view of things much better than peering through an SLR peephole when working with a live subject, doing copy work, or when doing tabletop photography in the studio. It's one of the areas that I've ditched using the SLR entirely, the mirrorless cameras with an articulated LCD or EVF are just much easier to work with. And the quality is identical.

G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Just curious Peter ... certain images such as ... ?

Don't get me wrong, it is amazing what is being done to shrink the tools. However, I equate functional aspects directly to the tasks I have at hand ... so, there well may be others that revel in the new new tech, but I don't see it as replacing DSLRs for many applications quite yet. Thus the curiosity as to what images or tasks others see as being "easier".

IMO, it is far easier to use a DSLR in studio (I work with both) ... and as far a Sony is concerned not having instant LCD review makes it even slower for shooting events. The lag is not conducive to "decisive moment" type work, smearing when moving the camera in low light is far more distracting than a OVF, etc. etc. Thus my A7R is my least used money maker tool and is reserved for walk about non critical stuff and some travel stuff just because it's small ... but in truth is over-kill for 90% of it.

I do "get" that you can use some specialty lenses like T/S, yet size has little to do with that since most of it is tripod work.

For my M lenses, the Monochrome is a far better solution in almost every respect.

- Marc
Marc,

the size advantage is only a small aspect and as we all know too small is not always an advantage.

I get your point that DSLRs are better in some situations like studio etc. And I have shot my whole life SLRs and DSLRs for the past 15 years (as many of us who are older ;)) and actually some of the best for me were Leica R and Contax RTSIII SLRs - all without AF and dare I say I could (and still can) handle a great SLR system equally good in many situations than any of the modern DSLRs or CSCs.

But with the advantage of good EVFs a lot gets easier when judging the composition in every shot on what you actually see in the EVF - even if slower and some lag, although the lag in Fuji (XT1) and Olympus (EM1) cameras became almost negligible. I do agree that in low light the EVFs become more tricky to use though - but even then they are not too bad.

Leica MM - well this is nothing for me as I am shooting almost no B&W but well one should never say never again :)

Peter

Last edited:

Swissblad

The best is the D700. It's one of the most reliable machines ever.
I concur - the D700 was the 1st digital camera I really took to - it just felt right and the IQ was tremendous - it's still a serious piece of equipment - and at 8fps with grip - no slouch - but.... it is heavy!

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I understand what you are saying Jorgen, I guess in the big scheme of things, the increase in size seems negligible when the shot counts and when a shot presents itself I want to capture it in the best way I can. I can understand also that for me size doesn't matter but for others it does.

For me a camera has to make me want to use it, normally that means because the images it produces are great, I can definitely live with the extra bulk.

Mat
This comment started a thought process that resulted in the D810 sitting on the desk in front of me. My wallet hates you, Mat :D

M

mjr

Haha, you're welcome Jorgen, I hope you enjoy using it, superb camera no doubt! Looking forward to seeing the shots you make with it.

Mat