Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Any interest in the D810?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Any interest in the D810?

I am starting to agree as I have not been over wowed with the images from my D810. Basically, just very similar to the D800e in all respects. Nothing wrong with the files, but just very similar to the D800e

1. Very clean at base iso 64 and pushable at least 2 stops in shadows
    2. Body is lighter for sure
    3. High iso up to 6400 is very similar and I was hoping to see a bit better
    results here, mainly in the 1600 to 3200 range. However comparing the
    800e and 810 across an identical shoot, images look about the same. The
    color on the D810 appears a bit less saturated than the D800e
    4. Shutter sound to me is a bit more quiet
    5. Live View at max is totally useable for critical focus, however I still can't
    tell if this view is just 100% or the 200% that the D800e offered.

Currently using ACR 8.6 RC to convert, not the Nikon code, but have downloaded and will start working with it next week.

Paul
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very disappointed to see that apparently the split view LV only shows areas side by side on the same horizontal level. I would order one immediately if it could select different regions in the frame (say near/far points) and use them to refine T/S focusing. That would have been a game changer for me.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Shutter definitely more cushioned and slicker, it feels lighter because of the deeper grip, rear screen is neutral.

No problem with the files but for me the whole camera feels more polished, more refined. We all loved the D800/E files but never 'fell' for the camera, despite it's groundbreaking, game hanging abilities, the D810 I feel more at home with. It's not a tactile bit of engineering like a Contax or Leica, but for a Japanese black DSLR it's moving towards (slightly) refinement as well as functionality.
    The D800e was very capable of doing its job despite a nervous AF and questionable rear screen, the D810 gives you less to object about or overcome so there is a little more joy there when you raise it to your eye and go to work... However I don't use live view.

Raw files I will judge when LR update is out but looking at them in NX2 things seem more neutral to start with...

More soon with images.

S
    Last edited by dogstarnyc; 20th July 2014 at 09:44.
    Steve Brickles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post
    John, Nikon's new RAW converter for NEF files, Nikon Capture NX-D ver. 1.0, has just been released the 15th of July 2014 and so far it is free.
    You might use it until your favorite RAW converter is updated for the D810 NEF files ?
    Just a suggestion.

Nikon Imaging | Global Site | Capture NX-D
    Thanks Steen!

I've downloaded NX-D and will try using it until LR 5.5 catches up.

My first impression of the D810 is that it is very much a refined version of the 800E. The shutter is much quieter, for instance, and the redesigned grip is more comfortable. I suspect the D810 also focusses faster.
    John L Dobson
    Editor, Ffestiniog Railway Magazine

Post Thanks / Like

Just tried NX-D with the images from my D810. It converts them OK, but my initial impression is that it's slow and clunky compared with LR5.5, and has limited features.
    John L Dobson

Post Thanks / Like

John,

I downloaded the DNG converter 8.6 beta as a seperate program and it converts the D810 files into DNG's and I just opened them in LR 5.5. It only lets you use adobe standard profile (no bad thing) and the beta expires on July 31st, maybe LR will get an update then...?

I'm shooting it in a studio on Weds with a freckled redhead so will give the skin tones a good workout.

Steve
    Steve Brickles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dogstarnyc View Post
    John,

I downloaded the DNG converter 8.6 beta as a seperate program and it converts the D810 files into DNG's and I just opened them in LR 5.5. It only lets you use adobe standard profile (no bad thing) and the beta expires on July 31st, maybe LR will get an update then...?

I'm shooting it in a studio on Weds with a freckled redhead so will give the skin tones a good workout.

Steve

Thanks Steve

I'll try that too.
    John L Dobson

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I switched to the Sony A99 when it came out and now all Sony, besides my MF Sinar arTec.
    For me, like probably other Nikon to Sony converts out there are waiting for a 36MP A99.. Though if the 810 had a tilting LCD I would consider going back to Nikon.
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlancasterd View Post
    Thanks Steen!

I've downloaded NX-D and will try using it until LR 5.5 catches up.

My first impression of the D810 is that it is very much a refined version of the 800E. The shutter is much quieter, for instance, and the redesigned grip is more comfortable. I suspect the D810 also focusses faster.
    Very interested to hear if the 'left side focus problem' is fixed. I assume so but it would be good to know!

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, good to see you back here. All reports from other Nikon sites suggest the "left side focus" points are good to go and the AF is better. Still not enough for me to upgrade. I'll wait for the next iteration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am waiting for an external EVF or at least tilt LCD
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Still waiting for the next incarnation of this camera type ... maybe D820???

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very tempted but in the end it would still be 36MP which is somewhat limiting for me. I'm always printing to at least 36 inches and 40 is common. I need all the pixels I can get my hands on. It may not seem like much but 50MP is a fair leap from 36 for printing purposes. All of the files have to be upsampled (even 80MP files) for these print sizes and from my perspective 50MP has a clear advantage over 36..... enough so to wait for the next incarnation.

Victor

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    If I see the need for 36MP in the future, I'll probably get one in addition to or instead of my D700. The combination m4/3 and Nikon FX seems to work very well for me, so GH3/4 and D700/810 is what I'm aiming at. Any word of buffer size when shooting RAW bursts?
    This has gone under my radar until now:
    Apparently, the buffer size of the D810 is around double that of the D800/E. That makes an ocean of difference and means that this camera can be used for action/sports even at full resolution. 47 frames RAW, 12 bit lossless compressed FX images seems to be the limit, which is very impressive. In DX mode it's even more. It seems to be time for me to start stacking pennies on top of each other

https://photographylife.com/nikon-d810-buffer-size

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    This might just be the final push to get me to buy a D800e! There should be a few around for good prices.
    Jono

I was just able to get a D800e for $1800 in almost perfect condition

Seems to me that unless you do a lot of video or you fancy the incremental improvements of the D810, buying a used D800E is simply a better (more economical choice).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Jono

Seems to me that unless you do a lot of video or you fancy the incremental improvements of the D810, buying a used D800E is simply a better (more economical choice).
    Perfect summary Woody!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Jono

The video is only part of it. The huge buffer and much faster processing makes the D810 a much better all round camera and a suitable replacement for the D300 and D700. For that, the D800/E wasn't even close. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot sport with the this camera.

As far as I can see, the D810 is more or less the only camera I need. I don't think I have been able to say that about a digital camera before.

Post Thanks / Like

The video is only part of it. The huge buffer and much faster processing makes the D810 a much better all round camera and a suitable replacement for the D300 and D700. For that, the D800/E wasn't even close. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot sport with the this camera.

As far as I can see, the D810 is more or less the only camera I need. I don't think I have been able to say that about a digital camera before.
    The D810 is indeed one of the best DSLRs available today. For sure much better in many areas than the D800/D800E was. This cannot be measured just with ISO, DR, MP count etc .... this is a combination of how the D810 was improved in a very sensible way - buffer size, speed, shutter vibration, silent shutter, ergonomics etc.

I handled one several weeks ago and having been a D800E shooter for 3 years I clearly preferred the D810 in an instant! Would I go back into DSLR I would do with a D810 - nothing else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you shoot from a tripod for landscape or architecture, the differences in usability become nominal. Granted that D810 Live View is superior, but it isn't "necessary" to make excellent images in a controlled shooting environment. I own both, and even for shooting models, I don't find a huge advantage to the 810 speed or convenience wise. But I am talking a value proposition of "cost per IQ quotient."

But for action sports, yes for sure, the 810 is king. Also, if you're only going to buy one body, the 810 is also pretty compelling -- I cannot argue with Jorgen that if I were to only own one body, the 810 would be it, added cost aside.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

I tried it some weeks ago, just few hours. I didn't addressed all the functionality but this is a refined camera. I think it is what should have been the D800 since the start. I use the D800 so extensively that the first thing I noticed was the AWB. The D810 have the best AWB of all Nikon gear I ever used (apart film).

On location, trust me, it is a game changer because you can almost skip custom AWB.

I may buy one ... or not. I wait. I'm one of those rare strains, immune against GAS

2015 might be an interesting year... or not. But I wait till I find a perfect alignment of gear.

Brands molested us badly during the last 3/4 years. Nikon, Canon, Sigma... Look like they lost their seriousness. On the side way you have Sony, Samsung (yes !), Fujifilm (!), Pentax (645) .......

This is a war, my friends, and we are right in the middle of it. Better way to wait a bit imo.

But without contest, the D810 is actually the most advanced 35mm DSLR.
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hulyss Bowman View Post
    The D810 have the best AWB of all Nikon gear I ever used (apart film).
    If I'm not happy with the white balance, I just pull out the F6. The white balance of Tri-X is rather consistent

Jokes aside, there's one thing that I've been thinking about lately:
    I've been using mirrorless cameras for the last five years. They were advanced, little technical wonders then, and they are advanced little wonders now. It's easy to be blinded by the electronic wizardry of cameras like the GH4, the A7 II and the NX1. But that was to be expected. They are computers, and computers develop at the speed of light. Today's miracle is tomorrow's turd.

But one of the biggest assets of these cameras, the electronic viewfinder, has developed little. They have become sharper, brighter and faster, but it's still a bit like looking at TV; I'm watching yesterday's news all over again. What happens in the viewfinder is what happened in the real world a fraction of a second ago. Sometimes, that is not good enough for me to make a "click decision".

While things are happening or not happening in the mirrorless world, things are clearly happening in the old, reflective universe. Remember the D90 or the D300s, Nikon's first attempts of cameras that can shoot video? The D300s was 5 years ago also. Try comparing it with what Nikon offers today. Or the D3s, the sports wonder, which managed bursts of 43 compressed 12MP RAW files. That was in 2009 also. The D810 manages 47 files, 36MP files, although at roughly half the pace and half the price.

The AF of mirrorless has improved a lot, but surprisingly, so has the AF of DSLR cameras, and anybody who has tried to shoot motorsports at night with both kinds of cameras knows that there's no comparison. My ancient D2Xs runs circles around any electronic wonder out there.

Many talk about Canikon as they were left in the middle ages with the clunky, old click-clack cameras, but I'm impressed with them and with Nikon in particular. They will launch an FX mirrorless when they're ready. I'm sure it will be a good one. In the meantime, there are alternatives to play with, but at this stage of development, DSLR technology is still an important pillar of photography. So now we have two pillars plus Leica. Can't be bad, can it?
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 2nd December 2014 at 18:17.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Many talk about Canikon as they were left in the middle ages with the clunky, old click-clack cameras, but I'm impressed with them and with Nikon in particular.
    We went to the Nature Photographer of the Year at the Natural History Museum today. Of several hundred pictures there was 1 with a Phase, 1 with a Hasselblad and all the rest with Canikon. The D800/810 was the clear winner. Not a single shot with a Mirrorless camera.

Just this guy you know
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

We went to the Nature Photographer of the Year at the Natural History Museum today. Of several hundred pictures there was 1 with a Phase, 1 with a Hasselblad and all the rest with Canikon. The D800/810 was the clear winner. Not a single shot with a Mirrorless camera.
    Interesting Jono, this can be true and I even believe it is.

BUT if I remember right you were the one who said long time ago you would not go back to a Nikon because of size and weight and you prefer the size of mirror-less cameras like EM5 instead? Which BTW I fully subscribe.

I owned a D800E over the past 3 years and while an excellent camera it almost never was with me because of size and weight, while my EM1 and XT1 are used and carried frequently. Plus I have done some semi-pro shoots lately with both systems and can only say WOW - IQ, AF speed and handling/ergonomics became very much same level than the top DSLR guns, plus as mirror-less cameras they offer the big advantage of WYSIWYG, meanwhile in both models in real time.
    Last edited by ptomsu; 2nd December 2014 at 23:33.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Interesting Jono, this can be true and I even believe it is.

BUT if I remember right you were the one who said long time ago you would not go back to a Nikon because of size and weight and you prefer the size of mirror-less cameras like EM5 instead? Which BTW I fully subscribe.
    Oh Peter - I was only making an observation - I was surprised because I thought that lots of people would take advantage of the very obvious size benefits shooting wildlife with 43 - apparently not - either that or wildlife photographers are a conservative bunch!.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Peter - I was only making an observation - I was surprised because I thought that lots of people would take advantage of the very obvious size benefits shooting wildlife with 43 - apparently not - either that or wildlife photographers are a conservative bunch!.
    I agree - and I must say for myself I might go back to FF one day, but then only if the special purpose requires - and so far I do no longer really see this. Size advantage of m43 is definitely one of the biggest attractions. Having shot the EM1 with grip over last weekend at events in churches I only can say this is an absolutely top performing PRO combo with (Olympus) m43 glass.

Plus I am very sure that the next incarnation of sensors (m43 sensors) will bring performance and resolution up to a level which makes the differences to APSC or even FF almost negligible (think also that I do not consider to need more than 24MP even for landscape).

Post Thanks / Like

I suppressed all FX cameras from my personal vault. Even the D700 will go for sale today.
    The 35mm market is not coherent in term of quality and professionalism. I mean, I do not care if the device is expensive but we reached a threshold.

I re-jumped in the APS-C world with a bit of fear over my products but no fear is needed especially on Fuji. Got the XT-1 + the best primes and have a lot of fun + lot of keepers. I loose the 35mm transitions BUT not that much and sometimes not really.

The XT-1 will have full electronic shutter this month >> no more mechanic attrition >> it make this camera a very durable device as well as the A7s.

So, throwing my ff gear was a very difficult choice but a wise one actually. My photo rendering don't changed at all, I only took some learning on C1 pro 8 and thrown lightroom. A total re-adaptation, a total new workflow. This costed me one week but the results are encouraging, very.

So I stay with the Fuji system till a company churn out something who really worth the money invested. This is not the case actually.

Nikon Body are "ok" (we wanted D4 sensor in d800 body) but the lens line in old and stagnating.

fuji and others are building brand new tech and especially brand new very good lenses. So far the 56f1.2 is one of the best lenses I ever owned and I owned some. Add the ruggedness + weather sealing + grip and you have an APS-C champ.

Hope sony will bring a pro camera without concession at a correct price. My little finger tell me that they will do it because the A7 are utter crap in handling and design and menu.

I use the A7r of my mother sometimes and this is a toy, especially to summon things like AF and other things (without speaking about the noise of the shutter). The Grip of the A7r is a vast clumsy joke. The one of the A7II is far better and , at least, on par with the XT-1 grip which is awesome. The only thing in the A7r who worth consideration is the price and the sensor.

I try to put some kind of hopes in some brands but this is lost battle. SO waiting and adapting is the best thing to do right now.

A compact fixed lens MF from Phase one ?? A revolutionary camera from Sony ?? Big boys got me tired, very tired at a professional level. They Lie, They hype things, there is no real advancement and the goal is to suck your money. Sigma joking us with blatant lie on resolution, using a poor sensor (this is the correct wording : poor) killing this unique aspect of the brand ... I tried, by my discontent, to bring professional informations, to rant, because things have changed in the worst way possible.

Without insulting anybody (just being ranter), I got banned for ever from the DPreview Sigma Forum by a utter nazi jerk who told me that ranting about SIGMA is not allowed (and also because my comments attract some likes too).

I hope I will not get banned from here because I do not agree with a brand !!

To be very clear, I do not want to see those pompous amateurs, technician fly f***ers from DPreview layering the sect on GetDPI so we might see some sparks in the SIGMA forum.

Sorry for my Wednesday rant, a bit out of the subject

I just want a digital Mamyia 7ii

Post Thanks / Like

I've been talking for years about mini Linhof Techno like camera with 36mm sensor and high-end primes. I'm sure I'd be not alone buying this camera and lenses!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hulyss Bowman View Post

I hope I will not get banned from here because I do not agree with a brand !!
    Not likely for that reason -- just don't go off your meds! (KIDDING!)
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

I do not have any medication but I might try MJ since those west-coast guys seems to use it extensively !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

D810 is here (got a good deal on a very slightly used one), m4/3 is at the shop being sold. I'm sure I will miss it sometimes, but right now, I'm thrilled. Can't wait to take the new Nikon out for a spin the coming weekend
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

D810 is here (got a good deal on a very slightly used one), m4/3 is at the shop being sold. I'm sure I will miss it sometimes, but right now, I'm thrilled. Can't wait to take the new Nikon out for a spin the coming weekend
    Jorgen,

I am sure you will enjoy your D810 - I also enjoyed my D800E which I am missing from time to time

But you know, one can always go to a store and buy it agin

Peter
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Any interest in the D810 ?

D810 is here (got a good deal on a very slightly used one), m4/3 is at the shop being sold. (...)

Whoa, congrats Jorgen

Looking forward to hearing how it works for you

Post Thanks / Like

A D810 or D750 is certainly in my future. I've already acquired a small collection of Nikon lenses!

The size and weight are offset by using it for situations that I feel DSLRs to be the most competent device that I feel the most comfortable using. The OVF and lightening fast, accurate AF are too important to me in some situations.

For the slower moments, the Leica's work just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's great - hopefully I am next! Will probably also divest of some of my mirrorless gear, but still enjoy my XT-1 or RXR1 when traveling light. Might go for one of the Nikon refurbs..

On my way to NYC today - visit to B&H planned for tomorrow. I am under very strict instructions to not come home with an D810. But my better half didn't say anything about a Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art .

JT

Post Thanks / Like

Wow... Are you really leaving m4/3 behind? Will you use the D810 now for all these marvelous people and travel pics you make? Won't it be too big?
    -- Bernard

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bcf View Post
    Wow... Are you really leaving m4/3 behind? Will you use the D810 now for all these marvelous people and travel pics you make? Won't it be too big?
    Ha ha... you have a point

For years, I was using a Fuji S3, then an S5, for travel photography, both around the same size as the D810. But... I did complain loudly about the size and weight... loudly. Now I'm back there again, mostly because I wanted a camera that can do everything I need a camera for, but also because I have quality issues with the m4/3 files that may be nitpicking but that are relevant to me.

It's all about compromise and to find out what is the most important. I rarely give convenience and comfort priority over quality in my life. I shouldn't when it comes to photography. Most of the time, walking the stairs makes more sense than taking the lift
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the time, walking the stairs makes more sense than taking the lift
    Great phrase... and so true

Now why not a D750? Still great, and a more manageable size and weight.
    -- Bernard

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bcf View Post
    Great phrase... and so true

Now why not a D750? Still great, and a more manageable size and weight.
    Buffer size mostly. There are many things that I prefer with the D750, the articulated monitor is one, and as you mention; size and weight. But since I will be using the camera for sports among other things, and sometimes run out of steam with my current cameras, the buffer size is very important. I also have an industrial assignment coming up where every pixel will count.

Shutter speed and ISO 32 are also important, to enable the use of large apertures in daylight. The low ISO will also be very useful when doing pan shots of motor sports, to avoid ending up with apertures in excess of 11 when shallower depth of field is what I'm looking for.

If the D810 didn't exist, and the choice was between the D750 and the D800, I would most probably have postponed this and kept my GH3.
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 3rd December 2014 at 15:55.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is a look to a larger format that is just, well, there... And for whatever it's worth, I like it
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jorgen, I understand your choice better now. You have very specific needs, which are better served by the D810. Yet what is more, the camera is not limited to these needs - it's really a jack of all trades, and master of most

For my own needs, I think I would be better served by the D750 as a successor to my D700. Decisions, decisions...
    -- Bernard

Post Thanks / Like

Held the D750 and D810 yesterday. The grips were very different. The D810 was almost there but a little too thick. The D750 was deep but a little narrow...

The difference in weight was a bit of a surprise. I knew the D810 was going to be heavier, but it seemed markedly so. I think the D750 is going to win a spot in my bag.

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone point me to some great shots from the D810?
    DR seems to be lacking from what I've seen overall online.
    There are a couple good shots as with any camera, but overall not impressed.

Reading the DXO ratings and overall hype it is/must be the best. Can someone show me proof?
    I have had a D700 / D3X / Phase One P40+in the past and am interested in getting this setup...if not medium format might be my only hope.

Edit... Don't mean to sound like a ** hole... I have always loved Nikon and need a some real world evidence that this is want to buy

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Send me an email and I can send you a few raws in my Dropbox account.

Better yet lensrentals has the D810 for rent and they are in your area I believe. Nothing beats a hands on test.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Any interest in the D810?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post

Can someone point me to some great shots from the D810?
    DR seems to be lacking from what I've seen overall online.

(...)

Harry, could you perhaps be a bit more specific in describing what it is you see or do not see in the D810 files ?

For some years my personal impression has been that modern, digital high end cameras have so much Dynamic Range (DR) that the files now and then look a bit flat, so that sometimes I have found myself adding some pop to the picture by adjusting levels and curves and making sure that the histogram curve hits both walls in the histogram and maybe adding an S-shaped curve if necessary.

I therefore wonder if perhaps that is actually what you are speaking about, that the D8xx files have so much DR that we need to add a more punchy contrast curve ?

In order to judge the DR for yourself I think you need to work with some RAW files, otherwise what you see is just other people's end results with post processing.
    There are plenty of links to RAW files in the 'old' Nikon D800 First Blush thread from 2012, and with regards to DR I doubt that it matters all that much if the files are from the 'old' D800 or the new D810.
    Or maybe some D810 owners would care to share some links to D810 RAW files ?

I should add that I'm not speaking out of any sort of scientific knowledge here (I'm actually an ignoramus with post processing) but purely out of instinct and from fiddling with RAW files in my own trial-and-error way.
    So perhaps I ought to leave this discussion to the adults

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you shoot a D8xx and if you post said images to the web, you absolutely have to be adding back a goodly portion of black in post lest the images look flat.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack, totally agree with you and Steen on that.

Have you tried Topaz Clarity? I discovered about a year ago, and use it now pretty much on all my work, but it does give the D8xx files that pop for sure and can help the IQ Medium format file, but not as much.

I now tend barely touch the clarity slider in LR or C1 and instead run a final process with Clarity from Topaz.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    If you shoot a D8xx and if you post said images to the web, you absolutely have to be adding back a goodly portion of black in post lest the images look flat.
    One trick that works rather well also is to use USM with Amount between 10 and 25, Radius around 50 and Threshold 0. It enhances blacks and dark colours as well as giving the photo more "punch". For optimal results, I mostly start with a photo where I've overexposed half a stop or thereabouts (without blowing highlights).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm,

Lifts were invented for a reason. For people like me. I would hate to let them
    go to waste.

But I do agree..if I need to get a shot....Nikon dslr for me without question.

Most of the time, walking the stairs makes more sense than taking the lift
    koffee & kamera

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input everyone. Yes there is a flatness to posted files and also a general lack of sharpness. Seems either everyone is going for artsy OOF or it does not focus very well with shorter lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone. Yes there is a flatness to posted files and also a general lack of sharpness. Seems either everyone is going for artsy OOF or it does not focus very well with shorter lenses.
    I don't agree on the lack of sharpness. I find the RAW files from the D810 much "sharper" than what I get from any other camera I've owned, so much so that I'm revising my post processing routines to get images from this camera that is more in line with what I want to achieve.