The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any interest in the D810?

dogstarnyc

Ordered mine straight away and I normally wait a year...!
Coming from MF Digital I welcome the ISO 64 and a slightly less nervous AF the AF was it's only weak spot for me (liveview I never use).

Also, Nikon have a trong history of putting out a game changer... and then listening to users for a year or two and improving on the weakest points... been doing since the film days.

My D800E is not selling so I will keep it as a back up...

My 2c

steve

k-hawinkler

Mark,

At present is there a good adapter that allows us to use AF and AE on our Nikon lenses on an A7x camera body? I cannot find one. Canon yes, Nikon no... It's a deal breaker for me.
I believe such an adapter for Nikkor lenses doesn't exist.
Reason being Canon lenses are fully electronic.
The same cannot be said for Nikkor lenses, I have read somewhere.

rgbtxus

You might consider getting an AMOD AGL 3080 which is what I did so I can geotag with every camera body. It was dirt cheap (well under $100). Runs all day on 3 rechargeable AAAs. Does not put a drain on your camera battery. Has been 100% reliable for me and I believe (but don't have personal evidence) is faster to acquire a signal and holds it longer. Since I just turn it on at the beginning of the day and drop it in my pocket this has never been an issue for me.

dogstarnyc

Just had an email, mine has been dispatched and arrives AM Friday 18th (I'm in London all summer, not NYC). Will put it through it's paces some of tomorrow and some of the weekend, it goes into a studio next week to earn it's keep.

Hopefully no sensor focus issues... :0

S

jlancasterd

Just got back from picking mine up from Cambrian Photography - plus a Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art lens to go with it.

Looking forward to playing with them…!

I transferred my Artisan & Artist strap and the DK17M magnifier from my D800. Those triangular Nikon strap clips are really difficult to remove!

Last edited:

jlancasterd

Having played with the D810 and the Sigma 50mm, I now find that Lightroom 5.5 won't recognise the 810's RAW format…

RAWs will open in Photoshop with the beta version of Camera Raw 8.6 and DNG Converter 8.6, so I'll just have to be patient until LR 5.5 catches up (or use Tiffs)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

John, Nikon's new RAW converter for NEF files, Nikon Capture NX-D ver. 1.0, has just been released the 15th of July 2014 and so far it is free.
You might use it until your favorite RAW converter is updated for the D810 NEF files ?
Just a suggestion.

Nikon Imaging | Global Site | Capture NX-D

aragdog

The new raw converter by Nikon crashes a lot. I realize it is a beta, but my cousin who just picked up an 810 says it is a little sharper, but he may return it and keep the D800E.

Paul2660

I am starting to agree as I have not been over wowed with the images from my D810. Basically, just very similar to the D800e in all respects. Nothing wrong with the files, but just very similar to the D800e

1. Very clean at base iso 64 and pushable at least 2 stops in shadows
2. Body is lighter for sure
3. High iso up to 6400 is very similar and I was hoping to see a bit better
results here, mainly in the 1600 to 3200 range. However comparing the
800e and 810 across an identical shoot, images look about the same. The
color on the D810 appears a bit less saturated than the D800e
4. Shutter sound to me is a bit more quiet
5. Live View at max is totally useable for critical focus, however I still can't
tell if this view is just 100% or the 200% that the D800e offered.

Currently using ACR 8.6 RC to convert, not the Nikon code, but have downloaded and will start working with it next week.

Paul

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Very disappointed to see that apparently the split view LV only shows areas side by side on the same horizontal level. I would order one immediately if it could select different regions in the frame (say near/far points) and use them to refine T/S focusing. That would have been a game changer for me.

dogstarnyc

Shutter definitely more cushioned and slicker, it feels lighter because of the deeper grip, rear screen is neutral.

No problem with the files but for me the whole camera feels more polished, more refined. We all loved the D800/E files but never 'fell' for the camera, despite it's groundbreaking, game hanging abilities, the D810 I feel more at home with. It's not a tactile bit of engineering like a Contax or Leica, but for a Japanese black DSLR it's moving towards (slightly) refinement as well as functionality.
The D800e was very capable of doing its job despite a nervous AF and questionable rear screen, the D810 gives you less to object about or overcome so there is a little more joy there when you raise it to your eye and go to work... However I don't use live view.

Raw files I will judge when LR update is out but looking at them in NX2 things seem more neutral to start with...

More soon with images.

S

Last edited:

jlancasterd

John, Nikon's new RAW converter for NEF files, Nikon Capture NX-D ver. 1.0, has just been released the 15th of July 2014 and so far it is free.
You might use it until your favorite RAW converter is updated for the D810 NEF files ?
Just a suggestion.

Nikon Imaging | Global Site | Capture NX-D
Thanks Steen!

I've downloaded NX-D and will try using it until LR 5.5 catches up.

My first impression of the D810 is that it is very much a refined version of the 800E. The shutter is much quieter, for instance, and the redesigned grip is more comfortable. I suspect the D810 also focusses faster.

jlancasterd

Just tried NX-D with the images from my D810. It converts them OK, but my initial impression is that it's slow and clunky compared with LR5.5, and has limited features.

dogstarnyc

John,

I downloaded the DNG converter 8.6 beta as a seperate program and it converts the D810 files into DNG's and I just opened them in LR 5.5. It only lets you use adobe standard profile (no bad thing) and the beta expires on July 31st, maybe LR will get an update then...?

I'm shooting it in a studio on Weds with a freckled redhead so will give the skin tones a good workout.

Steve

jlancasterd

John,

I downloaded the DNG converter 8.6 beta as a seperate program and it converts the D810 files into DNG's and I just opened them in LR 5.5. It only lets you use adobe standard profile (no bad thing) and the beta expires on July 31st, maybe LR will get an update then...?

I'm shooting it in a studio on Weds with a freckled redhead so will give the skin tones a good workout.

Steve

Thanks Steve

I'll try that too.

kuau

Workshop Member
I switched to the Sony A99 when it came out and now all Sony, besides my MF Sinar arTec.
For me, like probably other Nikon to Sony converts out there are waiting for a 36MP A99.. Though if the 810 had a tilting LCD I would consider going back to Nikon.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks Steen!

I've downloaded NX-D and will try using it until LR 5.5 catches up.

My first impression of the D810 is that it is very much a refined version of the 800E. The shutter is much quieter, for instance, and the redesigned grip is more comfortable. I suspect the D810 also focusses faster.
Very interested to hear if the 'left side focus problem' is fixed. I assume so but it would be good to know!

JohnBrew

Tim, good to see you back here. All reports from other Nikon sites suggest the "left side focus" points are good to go and the AF is better. Still not enough for me to upgrade. I'll wait for the next iteration.