The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 28mm f/2.0 Distagon............

viablex1

I love it but don't have the technical assessing skills like Routlaw, or Jack etc but its a great lens I will have to dig up a few files

matto

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I sampled one way back, and it seemed to me at the time that it was tighter than a typical 28, like it was a 31mm lens instead of a 28. (Note that my Nikkor 28/1.4 is also tighter than 28, like closer to a 30mm effective FoV.) Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, just something to be aware of before investing...

viablex1

on a d800e what is the best settings, I noticed in the building I shot that at f8 that the left side is soft a little bit is that normal, acceptable?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
on a d800e what is the best settings, I noticed in the building I shot that at f8 that the left side is soft a little bit is that normal, acceptable?
The left side subject matter is significantly closer to the camera, so it could be a DOF issue. A quick and easy way to tell if the lens is symmetrical and evaluate focus curvature, is to shoot a frame of a flat regular subject like a pond with plants or a lawn, and then look at detail edges equidistant from the camera on both sides of the frame. If one side is significantly worse, then it points to decentering.

viablex1

thanks, I have been testing it out on the d800e the corners of mine are ok but not great, a lot better on the d600.

thanks again'

Matto