The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon MB D12 Question

jvora

Hello :

Can the Nikon MB D12 Battery Pack be used on a D800/D810 without a battery in the camera and only in the Battery Pack ?

Trying to see if there is a way where the Battery Pack does not have to be detached each time the camera's battery is exhausted.

Jai

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Hello :

Can the Nikon MB D12 Battery Pack be used on a D800/D810 without a battery in the camera and only in the Battery Pack ?

Trying to see if there is a way where the Battery Pack does not have to be detached each time the camera's battery is exhausted.

Jai
The MBD12 in conjunction with the D800/e drains the battery in the grip first, then will drain the battery in the body.
You may if you wish operate without a battery in the camera, but the double battery arrangement is more convenient since you may change the grip battery when convenient.
-bob

jvora

Thanks Bob for the reply -

Good to know that the Camera can be used with a battery only in the grip -

I personally would prefer to access the battery without detaching the grip from the camera for each charge - The other possible benefit would be a marginally lighter set up ( i.e. as the battery chamber in the camera would be empty ).

Jai

etrigan63

The Sony A99 uses three batteries - two in the grip and one in the body. I have the D800e and MB-D12 as well. I treat the body battery as a carryover battery when I switch the grip batteries out. Does the MB-D12 support D4/D4s batteries? The MB-D10 on the D700 used to support D3/D3s/D3x batteries.

jvora

Hi Carlos :

Yes, if I am not mistake with the purchase of a BL-5 battery- chamber cover one can use a D4/D4s battery with the MB-D12.

When you say "carryover battery", you do mean that there is no battery in the body, but only in the MB-D12, right ?

Thanks,

Jai

etrigan63

No Jai, I meant the opposite by that. A battery in the body that only gets used when swapping batteries in the grip.