Site Sponsors

Thread: Nikon MB D12 Question

Post Thanks / Like

Nikon MB D12 Question

Hello :

Can the Nikon MB D12 Battery Pack be used on a D800/D810 without a battery in the camera and only in the Battery Pack ?

Trying to see if there is a way where the Battery Pack does not have to be detached each time the camera's battery is exhausted.

Jai
    Jai Vora jaivora.com +91 982-136-0044

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Nikon MB D12 Question

Quote Originally Posted by jvora View Post
    Hello :

Can the Nikon MB D12 Battery Pack be used on a D800/D810 without a battery in the camera and only in the Battery Pack ?

Trying to see if there is a way where the Battery Pack does not have to be detached each time the camera's battery is exhausted.

Jai
    The MBD12 in conjunction with the D800/e drains the battery in the grip first, then will drain the battery in the body.
    You may if you wish operate without a battery in the camera, but the double battery arrangement is more convenient since you may change the grip battery when convenient.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bob for the reply -

Good to know that the Camera can be used with a battery only in the grip -

I personally would prefer to access the battery without detaching the grip from the camera for each charge - The other possible benefit would be a marginally lighter set up ( i.e. as the battery chamber in the camera would be empty ).

Jai

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Sony A99 uses three batteries - two in the grip and one in the body. I have the D800e and MB-D12 as well. I treat the body battery as a carryover battery when I switch the grip batteries out. Does the MB-D12 support D4/D4s batteries? The MB-D10 on the D700 used to support D3/D3s/D3x batteries.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Carlos :

Yes, if I am not mistake with the purchase of a BL-5 battery- chamber cover one can use a D4/D4s battery with the MB-D12.

When you say "carryover battery", you do mean that there is no battery in the body, but only in the MB-D12, right ?

Thanks,

Jai

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No Jai, I meant the opposite by that. A battery in the body that only gets used when swapping batteries in the grip.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO