The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800 4x5 crop lines, but keeping the full FX shot ?

archivue

i'd like to be able to have the 4X5 cropping in the viewfinder while shooting full FX…
anyway to do it ?

the reason ?

i prefer 4x5 ratio… but when shooting vertical, i'm using FX format and cropping in C1, it gives me a sort of shift control...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I was not aware selecting the crop lines affected the size (or aspect ratio) of the raw file, I thought it was only the jpeg? My preferred aspect is generally 3:4 and I find 4:5 too square, so I have not used that feature in the camera.

Somewhat ironically, the more I've been back to shooting 2:3, the more I like it for landscape orientations. Though I still generally crop to 3:4 (or occasionally 5:7) for portrait orientations. I do still like 4:5 for head-shots.