The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Small Competent Flash for Nikon Df?

etrigan63

I am looking for a small, but competent, flash for my inbound Nikon Df. Sure, I could use the SB-800 from my D800e, but I wanted a smaller unit for traveling. What do you recommend? I have looked at the SB-300 and it is tiny but has no display and is iTTL only. Is it any good? The price is certainly right as is the size. I am not planning on lighting up a room, just occasionally using it for flash-fill.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have an SB700 -- not hugely smaller than the 910, but enough smaller that IMHO it's a better carry-around in the bag flash in case I need one. Reality is the way I shoot the Df, I never use flash anyway! ;)

etrigan63

I agree Jack. I tend to shoot available light anyway, but on the off-chance that I need flash....

I'm looking at the Metz 52 (I used to own a Metz 58AN-1 which was awesome) but I have to read the spec sheet for the dimensions and compare that to the SB-700.

Last edited:

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I've used the SB-400 for fill with Nikon bodies that don't have a built-in flash, and it worked well for this. Though it's TTL like the SB-300. The SB-700 is small for a full-feature unit and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, but it's of course still much bigger than the SB-400.

etrigan63

Thanks Jan. I wonder if anyone has published a comparison of sb-300 vs sb-400. Upon rethinking, my use of the Df will be more for available light shots so I don't need a sophisticated flash. I might give the SB-300 a whirl and see how it goes.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Has anyone tried TTL fill flash with the sb 400 and the Df…it was my understanding that the sb400 would not work in TTL with the Nikon d3/d4 bodies (per diglloyd).

D&A

For use with the Df when it has to be small, (just in case like a bit of fill is needed), the Sb400 fits the bill perfectly. Sure a bit more output and swivel would be nice, but it's more than decent if it's limitations are kept in mind. I briefly looked at the SB300, but for my money it doesn't compare and believe the Sb300 is more appropriate for the Nikon V system.

Dave (D&A)

Shashin

For fill flash in bright sunlight, I just use a cheap flash unit that has a thyristor and a manual option. The working aperture on the camera is such the flash is just right for portraits. These flash units are only about $20–$30 and are very small--no bounce. I don't use flash indoors.

I also gel the unit with a slight warming filter.