Site Sponsors

Thread: Small Competent Flash for Nikon Df?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Small Competent Flash for Nikon Df?

I am looking for a small, but competent, flash for my inbound Nikon Df. Sure, I could use the SB-800 from my D800e, but I wanted a smaller unit for traveling. What do you recommend? I have looked at the SB-300 and it is tiny but has no display and is iTTL only. Is it any good? The price is certainly right as is the size. I am not planning on lighting up a room, just occasionally using it for flash-fill.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Small Competent Flash for Nikon Df?

I have an SB700 -- not hugely smaller than the 910, but enough smaller that IMHO it's a better carry-around in the bag flash in case I need one. Reality is the way I shoot the Df, I never use flash anyway!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree Jack. I tend to shoot available light anyway, but on the off-chance that I need flash....

I'm looking at the Metz 52 (I used to own a Metz 58AN-1 which was awesome) but I have to read the spec sheet for the dimensions and compare that to the SB-700.
    Last edited by etrigan63; 20th July 2014 at 09:08.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used the SB-400 for fill with Nikon bodies that don't have a built-in flash, and it worked well for this. Though it's TTL like the SB-300. The SB-700 is small for a full-feature unit and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, but it's of course still much bigger than the SB-400.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jan. I wonder if anyone has published a comparison of sb-300 vs sb-400. Upon rethinking, my use of the Df will be more for available light shots so I don't need a sophisticated flash. I might give the SB-300 a whirl and see how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried TTL fill flash with the sb 400 and the Df…it was my understanding that the sb400 would not work in TTL with the Nikon d3/d4 bodies (per diglloyd).

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

For use with the Df when it has to be small, (just in case like a bit of fill is needed), the Sb400 fits the bill perfectly. Sure a bit more output and swivel would be nice, but it's more than decent if it's limitations are kept in mind. I briefly looked at the SB300, but for my money it doesn't compare and believe the Sb300 is more appropriate for the Nikon V system.

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For fill flash in bright sunlight, I just use a cheap flash unit that has a thyristor and a manual option. The working aperture on the camera is such the flash is just right for portraits. These flash units are only about $20–$30 and are very small--no bounce. I don't use flash indoors.

I also gel the unit with a slight warming filter.