The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

It's on its way!!!

jduncan

Hoping to see a 24 1.4 Art in October.

Paul

I don't believe they will do it, but my guess is that the proper line of action will be to release a 135mm f2.0 art in Nikon mount first (Canon has the 135mm L).

The Zeiss 135mm f2.0 is probably the best lens in the market (taking into account the price) but it's manual focus only. Canon and nikon have excellent 85mm lenses and good 24mm(s). The money will be on a 135mm.

Taking into account the expanding waistlines a little extra compression (compared to the 85mm ) will be great, great bokeh etc.

But I don't believe they will do.

Best regards,

J. Duncan

dogstarnyc

I hope they just keep on bringing these ART lenses out every 6 months....!

Would an 85mm 1.4 ART next make more commercial sense..? Just thinking of the numbers involved, 85's are very popular now and would sell well. A 135mm not so much, even though it is a great focal length it's not as popular right now.

I hope I'm wrong and they bring out both ha!

S

Dogs857

You should love it Jack it's a cracking lens.

I can highly recommend getting the dock as well, a real piece of work that.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I hope they just keep on bringing these ART lenses out every 6 months....!

Would an 85mm 1.4 ART next make more commercial sense..? Just thinking of the numbers involved, 85's are very popular now and would sell well. A 135mm not so much, even though it is a great focal length it's not as popular right now.

I hope I'm wrong and they bring out both ha!

S
I'm not so sure an 85 would be a great seller in C or N mount as both C and N have stellar fast 85's already at a similar pricepoint; and I'm not certain the Sony and Sigma mount camera installed base can support the R&D costs of an 85. As re a 135, I'm not convinced it's a popular enough focal anymore to sell enough -- but then what do I know :lol:

As for wides, the next logical step is a 24, and while N's is already excellent it focus-shifts a bit. C is lagging here and they have the largest installed base, so my guess is it would be the logical next release. Personally, I am a huge fan of the 28 over the 24, so my wish would be for a solid 28 -- but I know that the 24 is more popular by far, so I am dreaming here. Fortunately though, I already have a stellar 28 I'm in love with -- so I personally might consider adding an Art 24 to my stable.

On the other hand, if Sigma keeps releasing lenses this good, and figures out how to move their Art technology into zooms, the game is on and I have zero issue dumping N glass and migrating to Sigma!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You should love it Jack it's a cracking lens.

I can highly recommend getting the dock as well, a real piece of work that.
I hear good things about the dock and may eventually get one -- we'll see.

jlancasterd

I got my 50mm Art last Friday and am currently using it with my 800E.

My first impression is that it is extremely well corrected. I've not used it wide open to any great extent, but at intermediate apertures its resolving power is impressive. In the original of the attached photo it's perfectly possible to read the small print on the posters, and I can see no evidence whatsoever of fringing, even in the extreme corners.

It handles well too – fairly heavy, but comparable with my 24-120 f4 Nikkor.

View attachment 81735

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I just mounted it and ran my usual quick initial test. No great images to post yet as these are of boring material just looking at lens performance. In a nutshell summary, it's up there with the best 50's I've ever seen and is in the bag and not going back!

More detailed summary:

Wide open it's very sharp centrally all the way out to the horizontal edge of frame. Corners only slightly soft -- may be a little curvature, not certain yet -- and clean up gradually to f4 where they are almost as sharp as the center; at f5.6 corners essentially match center.

Contrast is surprisingly good wide open, remains about the same at f2, and then crisps up a little bit more at f4. Impressive really.

Distortion appears very low; falloff is visible at f1.2 and 2, slightly at 4 and gone by f5.6, but again all are gradual and pleasant.

Bokeh is outstanding beyond POF. But the real surprise is in contrast to the PhotoZone comments, my copy has very pleasant front bokeh as well. At f5.6 it starts to show a tiny bit of nervousness, but still more pleasant than most other 50's I've seen. At f4 and wider, front and rear bokeh remain -- for lack of a better word -- lovely!

Focus speed is fast, but not blindingly so. The HSM is very quiet. Oh, the lens required a +5 AF fine tune adjustment on my D800E, where most Nikkor lenses are close to zero. But I noted no significant focus shift at any aperture.

Size. It's a relative monster for a 50. As I recall from using Bob's 58 Nikkor G last Fall, it's about that same diameter, but longer and heavier still. Or another comparison, it's a little longer and a bit thinner than my 85/1.4G and a little heavier still -- or not enough size difference between them to care much; both are relatively heavy, big lenses. I do not prefer this weight/size, but the image character more than offsets this issue for me.

Overall image character. This gets tough because everybody sees things differently. I will shoot this lens mostly wide open and occasionally stopped down for a detail shot. In a nutshell, the way it draws is very reminiscent of the contrast and resolution of the 50 Lux asph M with the bokeh of the 50 Lux Pre-Asph M -- and I know this comparison may irritate the Leica fanclub a bit, but it's true... For me, that gives it an almost ideal character for a 50 and will be a tough animal for any manufacturer to best. (I have not tested an OUTUS, but I suspect that may be the only serious competitor at present in an SLR lens. And of course it's manual focus and even longer and heavier, not to mention 4 times the price!)

So, will I be selling my Nikkor 50/1.2 D? Probably not, at least for now. While it does not have the contrast or resolution of the Sigma Art, and has more nervous front bokeh by far, it still has a look wide open I really like. You can bet I'll be comparing them head-to-head in a wide-open contest shortly. After that, my opinion may change -- I do prefer good AF and this lens has it...

Is it better than the 58 Nikkor? I think that depends on what you plan on using it for. If for people, then the extra 8mm of focal length make a notable difference for a head & shoulders portrait; and then the softer rendering of the 58 almost certainly make for better looking skin. I prefer looser framing, so this Sigma lens better suits my needs. I could probably make a good case for owning both if I shot more people though.

I'll try and get some sample images up later this week.

jlancasterd

From my limited experience of using this lens so far, it's becoming quite obvious that it will resolve more than the D800E sensor is capable of recording.

One to keep in anticipation of 50+MP sensors…!

vjbelle

Jack,

Please check for skewing..... One of the ways is to shoot an elevated cityscape that spans out about 5 to 10 miles. Even at f5.6 left to right detail should be spot on the same near to far. I found out differently with my Otus on a recent shoot in Lisbon Portugal and my lens is being replaced by Zeiss who agreed with my assessment.

Victor

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
VJ, I did check for that when I did my distortion test -- my copy shows nothing obvious or visible.

Paul2660

I'm not so sure an 85 would be a great seller in C or N mount as both C and N have stellar fast 85's already at a similar pricepoint; and I'm not certain the Sony and Sigma mount camera installed base can support the R&D costs of an 85. As re a 135, I'm not convinced it's a popular enough focal anymore to sell enough -- but then what do I know :lol:

As for wides, the next logical step is a 24, and while N's is already excellent it focus-shifts a bit. C is lagging here and they have the largest installed base, so my guess is it would be the logical next release. Personally, I am a huge fan of the 28 over the 24, so my wish would be for a solid 28 -- but I know that the 24 is more popular by far, so I am dreaming here. Fortunately though, I already have a stellar 28 I'm in love with -- so I personally might consider adding an Art 24 to my stable.

On the other hand, if Sigma keeps releasing lenses this good, and figures out how to move their Art technology into zooms, the game is on and I have zero issue dumping N glass and migrating to Sigma!
The deal breaker for me on the Nikon 24mm 1.4 was the extreme coma aberration from 1.4 to 2.8 which made it terrible for night work. The butterfly wing effect.

Paul

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If you decide to sell the 50/1.2 I insist on first dibs. Ditton 28/1.4 :) I need my fourth copy ( note to self never sell this lens!)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
LOL! Graham, that 28 will probably be buried with me, but you definitely have first dibs on the 1.2 ;)

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Sigma has a nice 150... Look into it if you have a hankering for a 135. (It has more letters than I have keys on my keyboard... :D )

M

mjr

Looking forward to seeing some shots Jack, I'm looking for the quality of the Zeiss 135 f2 in the 50mm focal length, saving for the Otus but would go for this if it's good enough, don't really care about AF, just the look of the files on the D800/E.

Mat

turtle

Sounds like its rather similar to the Sony 55 FE in performance. I've been looking for a fast 50mm for my Canon and eyeing this one up....

FWIW, I have a Canon 24 1.4L II and think its remarkable. Not only is it sharp where it matters (on centre, wide open and at the edges a couple of stops down), but it has lovely bokeh and a very gentle rendering. It seems far less clinical than some lenses and for me that's important. As an existing owner, I wouldn't see the appeal of a 24mm ART myself, as the usage of a 24mm f1.4 is not likely to require (or necessarily desire) sharp corners wide open. For many uses (documentary) its actually a bad thing. Rendering is so much more important for environmental portraits, where it is most likely to be used at wider apertures. I think Canon is pretty smart....

D&A

If you decide to sell the 50/1.2 I insist on first dibs. Ditton 28/1.4 :) I need my fourth copy ( note to self never sell this lens!)
Well for once Graham I may have you beat. This in regards to the # of copies of the Nikon 28mm f1.4 I've tested and owned. What, only four? :ROTFL: What that says about me, I haven't a clue but anyday I can top you photographic equipment wise is quite rare indeed. For all else you definitely reign supreme and have my humble respect :)

Dave (D&A)

Paul2660

Needs and wants differ for sure, as for my work, I am looking for what Jack found in the 50 1.4 hopefully at infinity, with soft but workable corners. I would love to know if the 50 1.4 has coma aberrations, which will really only show up in night work. The difference with a 1.4 vs even 1.8 at night is quite amazing as you can drop down from 2500 iso to around 2000 or 1600. With star freeze or Milky way, you pretty much have to limit exposure time to 15" or less due to movement blur and or trailing. so the wide open aperture becomes much more necessary requirement.

The Nikon 24 1.4 had great bokeh, (still not sure what front bokeh is) but background was very nice. However one of my main interests for this lens was night, star and Milky Way landscapes and the amount of coma aberration was amazing, pretty much ruined the images. The Nikon 24 1.4 did have focus shifting issues also, as Jack mentioned.

Paul