Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with the D810

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with the D810

It sounds like Nikon have achieved with the D810 vs D800 the same as they did with the D3s when it superseded the D3. Not huge differences between cameras but somehow the new version is easier and more satisfying to use - probably for only a few tangible reasons but nicer nonetheless.
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 13th August 2014 at 16:22.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim, I was editing while you posted and added a bit at the end I'd like you to comment on

Re file processing, I don't use LR, and have been using the new and free Capture NX-D. A bit of foible learning the conventions, but the resulting files are really nice (REALLY nice!) and enough of the command conventions are the same or similar to C1's.
    ~~~

Graham, I think you and Tim nailed it with the intangible convenience part, and there I'd agree
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Jack, regarding processing, I tried NXD but I couldn't get to grips with the sharpening. Might I ask what settings you use? I'd love to explore this further, especially whilst waiting for C1 support.

Regarding the ART lens, it is a wonderful thing but for me it isn't necessarily any better than the Sony FE55. In fact up until about F2.8 or F4 the Sony has sharper edges, and the extra 5mm of focal length goes some way towards mitigating the loss of de-focus effect caused but the slower max aperture - especially given the light and small form factor. But I do love the F1.4 party trick on the ART, where even mid distance subjects can have de-focussed backgrounds, and I do think that the combo with the D810 is a lot more usable in low light due to the shutter differences.

Most of my shooting so far on the D810 has been on the 24-70 and 70-200 but the ART is getting a workout at the moment!
    Last edited by tashley; 14th August 2014 at 03:41.

Post Thanks / Like

To add to Jack's discussion, I will say I came straight from using my D800E to using my D810 so didn't have a break as Tim did.

It's true the image quality improvement is slight, and it's really the ISO64 that brings that into play but lets be honest, none of us were complaining about the D800/E's quality.

I'm in Tim's camp here with usability, it is a great camera to use handheld and more than a subtle step up from the D800/E, it doesn't matter how skilled you are, the D800/E camera kept you on your toes, and gave us all a few too many non usable frames, the D810 really lets you get back out there and take the shot, without trebling the shutter speed and holding you breath.....!

Add that to the technical points Jack mentioned above and to me it was worth the upgrade, and I'm using 50mm and 85mm 1.8G's.

The caveat is, like so many things related to 'gear', how you use your camera, Jack and many others I think shoot predominately landscapes, on tripod so it's fair to say that the feel of the camera is reduced somewhat.

I shoot editorial and commercial fashion, predominately hand held and often using Profoto's. When I do landscapes, like everyone else I slow it down and use a tripod etc... (mostly), this takes the camera out of my hands, I understand using this method takes away the closeness Tim mentions and reportage/Leica users need more than any of us a camera that feels part of you.

One a slightly off kilter note, I LOVE and want the Sigma Art 35 and 50mm glass, BUT... no one I shoot for looks at the corners of an image or whats out of focus, they look at the clothes and the girl, so for me and my work the 35mm/50mm/85mm 1.8G's are great value. And they are light, easily replaceable and affordable to carry a spare.

In a perfect world I'd love exotic lenses just for personal work but that extra cash goes on funding new work for my book etc... again just a different take on what is 'better'...

Jack's point about putting a value on the improvements are valid and will offer up a wide range of opinions (what a great debate), kudos to Nikon for not over selling the upgrade and milking the fact that they could charge almost anything they like for what to me is still the best camera out there in terms of image quality/price/size/usability/flexibility/lens legacy..
    Last edited by dogstarnyc; 14th August 2014 at 04:00. Reason: grammar
    Steve Brickles
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Jack, regarding processing, I tried NXD but I couldn't get to grips with the sharpening. Might I ask what settings you use? I'd love to explore this further, especially whilst waiting for C1 support.
    Almost embarrassed to admit, but so far I've only felt the need for the "quick adjust" tools and not the detailed USM or NR tools, though I've only been shooting at ISO 64. That said, I mostly leave "quick" sharpening at factory default of 3 simply because after sliding the slider up a notch and under a notch, while the change is slight the default looks "just about right" to my eyes. I do usually bump clarity and saturation each 1 point though, and then play with the rgb curve to get the overall look I want. The only real issue I have so far with the software, is a heavy curve can alter hue and saturation subtly, but enough it's visible in some images -- a definite bug they need to fix. I will play around with the detailed tools more and report back. My thinking is that C1 will release an update in a few weeks that will include the D810, so spending a bunch of time with it may be moot. OTOH, if you saw my Nikon Monochrome post, I may in fact be spending more time with NX-D, at least for mono...
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyone tried the Zeiss 55mm f/1.4 Otus Distagon T* with the D810? Closer to the FE 55mm in edge-to-edge sharpness in the f/1.8 to f/4 range?

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have an 810 but do have an 800e and thought I would add a quick reply since your question is really about lenses. Nothing competes with the Otus - especially at f1.8 to f4.....

Victor
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Victor. Now if someone wants to send their D810 to me to try my Otus on...

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't owned an SLR for five years or more but fancied focussing on a ground glass screen for a change. The D810 arrived today and, not owning any SLR lenses, I also bought a new 50/F1.2 AIS to use with it. A quick snap of my daughter makes me think this combination has some promise.

Untitled by Ian_Watts, on Flickr
    Ian Watts | Tumblr | Instagram |www.ianwatts.co.uk
    Likes 20 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Ian that looks good ….. keen to see more with this combination.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 50/1.2 is a wonderful lens. IMHO it's look is only approached by the the new Sigma Art and perhaps the OUTUS. After getting the Sigma I sold my 50/1.2 mostly because of the advantages of AF *for my needs*.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

A little composite of three shots...

Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Blast! Just ordered a D810.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Quentin

Wish I had the strength to carry this stunning camera and belonging lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well i had my D800E stolen a year ago. I still have several Nikon lenses that need a body. i miss using fast lenses on a top quality body
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

No kidding.. stolen? Yes it happens and it shouldn't.

If weight doesn't matter, I guess you've found a maid for your excellent glass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Its lighter than my Hassy, but not as lighht as my Sigma DP2 Quattro...
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

Fun with the Samyang 14mm F2.8, which seems a tad better on the D810 than on the 800E...

Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Both taken with 50/F1.2 AIS (my only lens).

Likes 23 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ian those images are stunning...

There are many who will say 'if you have the 50mm 1.2... you don't need anything else...' I can see why.

And Holkham beach IS the center of the universe, anyone who even questions that has obviously never been there..
    Steve Brickles
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Let me share my experience with D810 & & Tamron 120-600MM. Last weekend, I took ~5000 pictures with D810 & Tamron 120-600MM combo @ WWII era airshow in Halls, TN – I felt 99.99% of the pictures were in focus (@ 600MM & difficult conditions – I used AFC-C and the Group AF mode truly helped): You may glance through some of those glimpses @
    Wings Over Halls - Tiger Rider
    (It may be bit excessive contrast & saturation – I over cooked especially with the Nik HDR Batch (~70) processing. I can tune it for your publication requirement)
    Here is a sample one of WingWalker:

Post Thanks / Like

Sold the 800e.....Bartender gimmee a D810 please!!

Post Thanks / Like

Today my D810 arrived and tomorrow it will go to work for the first time and on saturday it will do it's first wedding.

Nikon D810 | AF-S 85/1,4G | f1,8 | 1/640s | iso 64
    http://www.bildifokus.se
    Follow me on Facebook
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

More fun with the D810.

Nikon D810 | AF-S 105/2,8 G VR | f3.2 | 1/800s | iso 64
    Follow me on Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A Bucolic scene

Quentin Bargate
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nikon D810 | AF-S 85/1,4G | f8 | 1/60s | iso 64
    Follow me on Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dogstarnyc View Post
    Ian those images are stunning...

There are many who will say 'if you have the 50mm 1.2... you don't need anything else...' I can see why.

And Holkham beach IS the center of the universe, anyone who even questions that has obviously never been there..
    Hi Steve, you're quite wrong. According to the famous surrealist painter Salvatore Dali, a well known authority in these matters, the center of the universe is to be found at the railroad restaurant in Perpignan, in the south of France
    Nice picture btw!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A storm is coming

D810. Nikon 24mm PC-E with tilt.
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

I posted this on another forum:

Greetings,
    I recently sold my D800e after reading some reviews of the D810 I thought I would give it a try. There are a few features which I was really excited about, the base iso of 64, allowing more creativity in the studio, improved ISO capabilities, and additional frame per second and last but not least the adoption of the autofocus system used in the D4s.
    Package from B&H arrived today, spent a few hours customizing my menus getting familiar with the new body, Taking a few test shots in the house. I was impressed by the quiet shutter in normal mode, I like the new display in the viewfinder, I like the ergonomic improvements of the grip, these are a few improvements I was able to notice while laying on the studio floor Reading and setting up menus.
    Fast-forward to 7 PM this evening, high school football game starting in Phx, AZ is about 15 minutes before sunset, I chose the Nikon 200 mm F2 a.k.a. Chubby and a MB-D12 loaded with a En-el15 battery to perform the job tonight. Impressions:
    * overall the body even though modifications were slight feels much more pleasing to my large hands
    *I like theQuiet shutter, its solid & Precise, I choseThe high continuous mode, this body can do 6 & 7 frames per second in DX mode, but I chose to stay in FX, 5fps.
    * Autofocus, I tried the new Group focus mode. WOW totally impressed my keeper percentage appears to be on par with my D3s's, A far cry from the D800e who's keeper percentage on the field were terrible. Originally I was going to use the group focus for a bit and then move to single point in continuous mode for the rest of the evening but after seeing the results I stuck with the group focus mode all night. One thing I did find about the group autofocus mode is that the visible AF dots make it much easier to track a moving object with more smoothness, its not a technical advantage but more of a mental thing I guess...Much easier to keep the moving target confined with in the box of 4 dots than it is's to keep the dot right on the target.
    *ISO has improved, they say 1 stop...I think closer to 1/2 to 3/4. Regardless the file at 6400..I was VERY pleased to say the least, definately cleaner than the D800/e
    * last but not least the big 36mp file is really nice. I had an image of a catch all the way the other side of the field and another 30 yards down that was tack sharp and I can actually use the file, it didn't fall apart like it would from my D3S, Dam I could crop the image down and actually still print from it.
    Thats all I have for now, the camera is been in my hand for roughly two hours tonight and I must say it's a breath of fresh air. With the D800/e my confidence in being able to pick up that camera, shoot it, enjoy shooting it because I know the results were going to be good.... was not very good and thats not good when you make a living as a photographer.
    The D810 while I have only scratched the surface could be the best DSLR Nikon has made

Ciao

Image below shot with a Nikon D810, iso 6400 ,1/800th with a Nikon 200mm f2 shot wide open
    Last edited by aztwang; 30th August 2014 at 06:04.
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This was shot with my new D810 & a 200 f2. @ 2.0 Its nice to crop real tight and have a file that wont fall apart. Im going to mount my Zeiss 135 f2 Apo Sonnar and experiment today.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a lot of images from yesterdays wedding shoot. I used three cameras, Nikon D3x, Nikon D810 and Hasselblad H4D-50. I have to say that the little Nikon D810 starts to grow on me.

Nikon D810 | AF-S 85/1,4G | f2
    Follow me on Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

First time I've tried the camera at ISO 64 (I keep forgetting it can go that low – I'm used to the 160 and 320 minimum ISO speeds of my Leicas).

Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I took this with the D810 and Nikon 85mm PC. This is an old Septic Tank along the N. Ca coast. Found it when i went to use the outdoor facility.. I am really loving that lens. I find i use it quite often

Post Thanks / Like

Love the detail in the hilites & shadows..Shes very pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by wattsy View Post
    First time I've tried the camera at ISO 64 (I keep forgetting it can go that low – I'm used to the 160 and 320 minimum ISO speeds of my Leicas).

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I honestly hesitated to even post this image as it's really not that good…i.e.: bad cloudy weather, no magical light, rain and drizzle, cloudy water, etc…and really should be done with a wide angle lens. However I just got my D810 and I have the Zeiss Otus 55 and was anxious to work with this lens on the 810. Only really been taking test shots for couple of days also….But what I'm seeing is AMAZINGLY smooth files (iso 64)…and I'm able to pull up unbelievable shadow detail…I mean smooth with no noise…Wonderful dynamic range. I'm looking for ways to get medium format feel with 35mm system…thus the reason for getting the Otus lens. I'll be posting some better shots as I get more chance to experiment with this combination. Oh yes, the live view focusing is over the top fabulous. Eleanor

Eleanor Brown
    http://www.eleanorbrown.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eleanorbrown View Post
    I honestly hesitated to even post this image as it's really not that good…i.e.: bad cloudy weather, no magical light, rain and drizzle, cloudy water, etc…and really should be done with a wide angle lens. However I just got my D810 and I have the Zeiss Otus 55 and was anxious to work with this lens on the 810. Only really been taking test shots for couple of days also….But what I'm seeing is AMAZINGLY smooth files (iso 64)…and I'm able to pull up unbelievable shadow detail…I mean smooth with no noise…Wonderful dynamic range. I'm looking for ways to get medium format feel with 35mm system…thus the reason for getting the Otus lens. I'll be posting some better shots as I get more chance to experiment with this combination. Oh yes, the live view focusing is over the top fabulous. Eleanor

Nice work! What are the exposure details?
    John L Dobson
    Editor, Ffestiniog Railway Magazine

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exposure was Otus 55 at f11, 6 seconds, iso 64. I was surprised I didn't get any more depth of field at f11…that's why I feel this would have been better with say a 35mm lens. I shoot this river often and usually get best results with wider lens…just wanted to try my Otus here. I did some test of f stops using the Otus and was shocked at the superb sharpness and micro detail even using f 16!! I would never use f16 on any other lens. eleanor

Also as I mentioned the ability to pull out excellent smooth detail from way underexposed shadows at iso 64 is amazing. I have been a Phase One medium format user for many years and looking for something in 35mm that will give me that "feel". Also I''m going nuts not having Capture One to process these Nikon D810 files!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jlancasterd View Post
    Nice work! What are the exposure details?
    Last edited by eleanorbrown; 1st September 2014 at 11:28.

Post Thanks / Like

Exposure was Otus 55 at f11, 6 seconds, iso 64. I was surprised I didn't get any more depth of field at f11…that's why I feel this would have been better with say a 35mm lens. I shoot this river often and usually get best results with wider lens…just wanted to try my Otus here. I did some test of f stops using the Otus and was shocked at the superb sharpness and micro detail even using f 16!! I would never use f16 on any other lens. eleanor

Also as I mentioned the ability to pull out excellent smooth detail from way underexposed shadows at iso 64 is amazing. I have been a Phase One medium format user for many years and looking for something in 35mm that will give me that "feel". Also I''m going nuts not having Capture One to process these Nikon D810 files!!!
    The depth of field doesn't look like too much of an issue to my eyes, but it's not easy to tell on screen.

There are a couple of very similar rivers near me here in North Wales, in the Aberglaslyn Pass area, and since buying the Sigma Art 35mm and 50mm lenses I've been thinking of trying the same type of long exposure photography. Must dig out my tripod!
    John L Dobson

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John I do long exposures of water frequently, at least here in Colorado…For this shot I used a 6 stop ND filter. eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by jlancasterd View Post
    The depth of field doesn't look like too much of an issue to my eyes, but it's not easy to tell on screen.

There are a couple of very similar rivers near me here in North Wales, in the Aberglaslyn Pass area, and since buying the Sigma Art 35mm and 50mm lenses I've been thinking of trying the same type of long exposure photography. Must dig out my tripod!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Couple more of Snake River across the road from my house here in colorado. Nikon D810 with Zeiss Otus 55, both at iso 64 with 6 stop ND filter. First image at f14 at 25 seconds, second at f 11 at 5 seconds. Focus was on the boulder in the foreground. Eleanor

Eleanor Brown
    http://www.eleanorbrown.com

Post Thanks / Like

As Tashley, Quentin and myself all seemed to be in the south west of the UK at roughly the same time (and never even had a beer together... quite appalling really ).

This storm pictured here I suggest was the same one Quentin photographed...!!!!

labrador bay teignmouth devon
    Nikon d810 85mm 1.8 AF-S ISO 64 3 secs at f13 (bloody windy)

S
    Last edited by dogstarnyc; 2nd September 2014 at 01:31. Reason: image attachment
    Steve Brickles

Post Thanks / Like

Multiple exposure is going to be fun to play with. This one is made with 10 exposures.
    Follow me on Facebook
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

John I do long exposures of water frequently, at least here in Colorado…For this shot I used a 6 stop ND filter. eleanor
    Yes, there are some really nice rocky rivers in Colorado - I particularly remember the Animas, seen from the Silverton train when I visited about 15 years ago.

Thanks for the advice about ND filters - I'll look into getting something I can use with either lens.
    John L Dobson

Post Thanks / Like

Charrería

You may visit rest of the un-edited shots from: http://www.tiger-rider.com/Client-Ga...outhern-Games/
    Last edited by skmadapatu; 5th September 2014 at 19:35.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skmadapatu View Post
    You may visit rest of the un-edited shots from: ttp://www.tiger-rider.com/Client-Galleries/Southern-Games/
    Your link is missing its initial letter 'h', rendering it unusable.

Should be: Charrería - Tiger Rider

- Leigh

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Leigh. Appreciate letting me know - I just added it

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Your link is missing its initial letter 'h', rendering it unusable.

Should be: Charrería - Tiger Rider

- Leigh

Post Thanks / Like

D810 goes StarSpangled

Here is the UNEDITED glimpses from the 200th Anniversary of our National Anthem: Star-Spangled 200 - Tiger Rider

http://www.tiger-rider.com/Client-Ga...SC_2737-X3.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: D810 goes StarSpangled

[QUOTE=skmadapatu;603152]Here is the UNEDITED glimpses from the 200th Anniversary of our National Anthem: Star-Spangled 200 - Tiger Rider

Post Thanks / Like

This image is not perfect in any way, but I'm very satisfied with my D810. If I had bring my D3x to the woods I couldn't do this image without a tripod. At iso 1800 the D3x would not look nice.

Nikon D810 | AF-S 105/2,8 VR | f5 | 1/125s | iso 1800
    Follow me on Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

@Arne,

Bit late replying Arne sorry, I will check out Dali's suggestion in early November as I'll be down in the south of France.

Be nice if Dali could check out Holkam, but I can't see that happening..
    Steve Brickles