The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the D810

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Good news for me. No fire extinguisher needed. The 28mm f/2.0 AIS is surprisingly good wide open, sharpens up nicely at f/2.8-4 and is quite sharp all over at f/5.6.

D810 with Nikkor 28mm f/2.0 AIS @ f/5.6

D

Deleted member 7792

As you know, I am a lens addict, and there are very few lenses that still cut it at 100% on the 36MP sensor. The short list is the Sigma 35 and 50 ART, the 85/1.4G, 105 DC (surprisingly), 200/2, ZF 85 & 135, and purportedly the OUTUS's (OUTAE?) will, but I don't own them. Honestly, that's about it. Every other lens I own shows it's weaknesses, usually in the outer 1/3 IC region. Surprisingly, almost any lens is good enough centrally even if it cannot match the sensor. The 24-120 is a good example; undeniably the worst lens in my bag, but it is on the camera for every casual photo event and often as my main travel lens -- and I get fantastic images even printed to 20 or 24 inches.
Jack,

On the whole I agree. In addition to the lenses you mentioned, I've been impressed (almost overwhelmed even) with the Nikon 20mm f/1.8. It's damned sharp and holds its own with the legendary Zeiss 21mm and Nikon 14-24mm. If you've tried it, I'd welcome hearing your opinion.

Also, what's your opinion of the Nikon 35mm f/1.4 vs. the Sigma 35mm Art? The Sigma certainly is priced right (relatively speaking) but I haven't tried it (yet).

Finally, the 55mm Otus is killer. Not my most popular focal length, but simply outstanding.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Joe,

Have not tried the N 20/1.8 -- I have a good copy of the 17-35/2.8 and it suffices for my wide angle needs, excellent central 2/3rds, though it's weak at the extreme corners (outer 8%). I also own a very good copy of the Nikon 24 PC-E, and it tends to be my critical wide angle of choice. (But stay tuned for an update here ;) )

Nikon 35/1.4G was okay, and I think the ART was maybe a tad better. But for me the 35 focal is sort of no-man's land vanilla, a lens I tend to use stopped down more than wide open. So I tend to prefer 28 (and love my copy of the discontinued Nikon 28/1.4 asph) or 50 ART over 35 for most cases, and do not own any 35 prime at this time. When I travel, 35 is often a nice focal, but my 17-35 or 24-120 suffice nicely since I'm also generally at f8.

OUTUS 55. I prefer a slightly wider AoV than 55 (or Nikkor 58), and right now am LOVING the 50 ART. Of course it having good AF is also a plus, not to mention cost delta :ROTFL: Also surprising is the 50/1.8G -- it is a great performer and so small and lightweight, I've pretty much dedicated it to my Df body. It lacks the full juice of the ART, but it's also half the weight and size -- and like 1/3rd the price of the ART and 1/10th the OUTUS?

I too decided to upgrade to the D810. Went the refurbished route and on the same day I received the D810 I also picked up a 400mm f2.8 AFI lens at a reasonable price. Talk about a one two punch. The D810 feels great and I enjoy the multitude of features such as quieter shutter, iso64, group AF, increased buffer etc. Tested group AF, face recognition and so on. No complaints so far. By the way plan to use the lens for ballet, surf, bird, supermoon, bikini photoshoots and so on. Here are a few first day shots of my super cute little neighbor as she was running around. Last image is 100% crop of the previous.

100% Crop

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I was thinking of giving the D810 a touch-up today, since black is sooooo last week. In the end, I changed my mind. Would look too much like a Pentax, don't you think?

D810 with 85mm f/1.8 AF @ f/2.8

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks, Rayyan. I'm trying to learn this camera :)

Sorry for the recurring theme, but nothing much is happening around here :)

D810 with 85mm f/1.8 AF @ f/4

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
My camera is probably worth more than my 17 years old Toyota, so I had a look around the neighbourhood to see what other people use for transportation. But the prices of Italian cars nowadays... :rolleyes:

D810 with 105mm f/1.8 AiS @ f/2.8

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've installed a little table top studio in my office, to be able to make product shots etc. on short notice. I'm testing out lighting and how to get enough DOF with the D810 at the moment, and see that I could use a lens with tilt abilities. Would the old Micro Nikkor 85mm PC still be a valid option for this?

D810 with Sigma 50mm f/2.8 Macro @ f/22

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi Jorgen,

I cannot determine whether the optical formula has been changed - but - the old 85mm PC lens had very good optics - see BR's review.

The alternative is to use stacks….
Thanks. The new version also features shift. Are there any other advantages? Optical quality etc?

Swissblad

Thanks. The new version also features shift. Are there any other advantages? Optical quality etc?
Both versions feature shift.
The E features an electronic diaphragm - like the new 800mm etc - and nano coating - which you don't really need for macro.
There really is not a info on these lenses - see here on DPreview
Once again, some info by Bjorn - scroll down to the 85mm lenses.

If you can the old one for a good price, I would jump - these are amongst the sharpest lenses in the Nikkor line-up.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Both versions feature shift.
The E features an electronic diaphragm - like the new 800mm etc - and nano coating - which you don't really need for macro.
There really is not a info on these lenses - see here on DPreview
Once again, some info by Bjorn - scroll down to the 85mm lenses.

If you can the old one for a good price, I would jump - these are amongst the sharpest lenses in the Nikkor line-up.
Ah... I see. Will the old version have to be stopped down manually then?

Anyway, it seems to be hard to go wrong with any of these. The old version seems to be 30-50% cheaper second hand.

Took the D810 to a ballet rehearsal with the Nikon 70-200mm f4.
Camera is incredibly quiet compared to my other DSLRs.
Here's an image at iso 6400 with a bit of noise reduction using Adobe Lightroom.