Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with the D810

Post Thanks / Like

Fun with the D810

Just to get the ball rolling... from a super-saturated evening stroll at the beach.

Likes 15 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the D810

Tim, those look very good - thanks for posting

Wonders….. should I trade in my D800…..?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks... but I wouldn't rush: always good to see what comes out of the woodwork in terms of faults and problems, and I'm sure it'll get cheaper soon!

Post Thanks / Like

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Thanks... but I wouldn't rush: always good to see what comes out of the woodwork in terms of faults and problems, and I'm sure it'll get cheaper soon!
    Thanks, Tim.

There is no rush... at the moment I'm having a lot of fun with the little Fuji X-T1.

Cheers, S.

PS Thanks for initiating this thread.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody else got a D810 yet….?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I'll bite. My first post on this site.
    Just traded my D800e for D810

w/ Nikkor 70-200 1:2.8 @200mm
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yay for a perfect sunset. Welcome!

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice shot, great first post - and welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

D810 at ISO 64 with Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art at F1.4: a match made in heaven...

100% crop:

Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay, I hate to actually admit (ask) this but...

Is it just me or am I seeing subtly smoother tonality while still retaining excellent detail even in these reduced-size web jpegs???

They just don't look digital by any description...

Crap, time to order one.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Lovely image Tim, I really like the way Sigma renders mauve colours.
    Would be keen to see how the D810 / Sigma 150mm macro combination is like.

BTW - have arranged an upgrade…..
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Jack, the web sized versions are pretty ropey compared to the RAW - I saved them as Prophoto and whether it's that, or some other cup'n'lip factor, the bokeh edges look less creamy than they do in the original. But especially at ISO 64 there is simply no hint that technology has been involved, the files have literally perfect smoothness.

I'll post the RAW to my zenfoio now and put a link here in a few minutes.

Swissblad, thank you! I'm afraid though that I don't have the 150 but I am tempted.

BTW I have done a very quick planar test and this lens is better at F1.4 than most of my lenses at F4. By f5.6 the corners are almost perfect but even by F2 they are easily good enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To be clear, I'm talking subtlety, but nonetheless visible to my eyes even in the web jpegs...

Oh, and mine should be here Tuesday
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/img/g92...kMjh1tByFc-i0=

That's the RAW file. It comes out pretty desaturated at the default Adobe setting in LR but the bokeh edges posterise rapidly if you use Camer Vivid or some such. However a bit of a bump on vibrance gets them somewhere quite pleasant. I use 60/0.7/70/20 as sharpening but one could probably back off that or in the case of this file do it selectively.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    To be clear, I'm talking subtlety, but nonetheless visible to my eyes even in the web jpegs...

Oh, and mine should be here Tuesday

The images are as sharp as the A7R (in other words a tiny touch sharper and with a little more depth than the D800/E) and have smoother tonality, probably due to both the lower compression and the lower ISO.. I'm sure you'll like it. It's also just a lot nicer to use than the 800s.

BTW Jack what are you thinking of your 50 Art? Mine only arrived today but to me it seems at least as good as the sony FE 55, which from me is high praise indeed...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I *LOVE* the 50 art! It is perhaps the best balanced 50 focal I have ever shot with. Bokeh is on par with my historical favorite, the Leica M50 Lux pre-asph; and then resolution and clarity are right there with the other top gun in that arena, the Leica M50 Lux Asph... How can it get any better?
    Jack

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are driving me crazy! I'm trying to buy a new car for Christ sake!

Post Thanks / Like

Yada yada - who need a car?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yada yada - who need a car?!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here's one using the multiple exposure function, which is quite fun: set to 10 exposures and shot with Continuous High, handheld with Auto Gain, the camera combines ten frames into one. Has potential I think.

Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim, just have to say you've clearly elevated your level of seeing great shots. I realize that's not a camera-dependent thing, but for whatever reason these last few strings of D810 images are among the best images I've seen from you.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

That's a kind thing to say Jack though I have yet to take any shots with it that enter my own personal pantheon - but it does give me pleasure to use in a way the 800 didn't, and I think that makes a difference.

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't possibly agree more....

I know it's a personal thing but it is a joy to use.

S
    Steve Brickles

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack & Tim,

As two of the most trusted lens gurus on GetDPI, I'd be interested in your evaluation of lenses that are worthy of the D810 camera's sensor. I've been through [almost] every system I could get my hands on - Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica-M, Leica-S, Cambo, Alpa, Sony - and the limiting factor in performance ALWAYS has been the glass that will match the capabilities of the sensor.

When I owned a D800e, I found that the Zeiss ZF.2 lenses were the sharpest primes for my photography (principally landscape) and most [modern] Nikon lenses didn't match the 36MP resolving power of the camera. Now I'm using a Sony a7R and, once again, very few available native lenses match the camera's capabilities. The FE 55mm f/1.8 is a notable exception. One recent pleasant surprise is the Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS, which is incredibly sharp on the a7R, but requires the Metabones III or IV adapter to couple to the camera. The [adapted] Leica WATE is equally sharp and lighter in weight. No pun intended.

I like to print big (20x30" and larger) and tend to judge the camera/lens combo on its ability to hold sharpness and contrast to the edges and into the corners, without smear, color shfts or uncorrectable distortion.

So my question is:

Which lenses, Nikon or otherwise, will get the most out of the D810?

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Joe,

Firstly, mine just arrived today, so this is very, very preliminary comments. Re lenses, I think it's pretty safe to say that whatever you found out with regards to net optical performance with your D800 or A7r is going to hold here -- no magic beans delivered that make legacy lenses sharper . I have yet to experiment fully with it, but the one area where I see some benefit is with tele work at slower shutter speeds is the new EFC. It seems to work as advertised here, though the real benefit is probably 1/30th and 1/8th and not so much 1/15th -- again, I need to experiment further with my tele on the pod. You can still set the camera up to do the 3 sec delay after shutter press, and this coupled with the EFC may be enough of an advantage on the best newer lenses to be a winner. Oh, one point I had missed in previous discussions of EFC -- it limits max shutter speed to 1/2000th.

Getting AF point orientation lock point a-la D4 in this body is a huge usability plus too.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Joe, I'm with Jack - nothing new to say on lenses really. I have found the experience of switching out and switching back in quite a useful way to concentrate my thoughts on lens choice and so I have ended up with:

Sammy 14 f2.8
    Zeiss 21 f2.8
    Nikkor 24-70 (new copy is better at the wide end and very useful overall)
    Nikkor 70-200 (having some small issues, yet to track them down but overall a brilliant and useful lens)
    Sigma ART 50
    Adapted 50 Cron R

Lenses I won't be getting again having sold them the first time:
    Nikkor 28mm F1.8 (too much field curvature, too tricky)
    Sigma 35 ART (ditto)
    Nikkor 85 F1.8 (brilliant lens but not a length I often use)

Lenses I have tried on the 810 and returned:
    Tamron 24-70 F2.8 (poor QC on two copies)
    Sigma 24-105 ART (too blurry in the corners)

For now I have all I need: an acceptable ultra wide for the odd interior shot, a very good wide for landscapes, two very useful zooms and one 'ultra prime' that lets me do bokeh stuff and killer resolution stuff...

Post Thanks / Like

Two more using multiple exposure mode. It is very flexible and amenable to different shooting methods depending on results desired. I am really enjoying this though I have yet to get on paper the result in my mind's eye.

Both ten frames, handheld, auto gain..

Post Thanks / Like

Man Tim.. you rock with this camera.

Beautiful work.

Post Thanks / Like

his Blog is great as well!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I know ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Joe,

I guess I should have followed on with my current lens stable and some comments. I shot them ALL yesterday just to confirm AF offsets. Anyway, they are:

14 Samyang -- very good performer for a relatively inexpensive hyperwide. I rarely use it, but like having it for when it's needed.

17-35/2.8 Nikkor AF-D -- this is my main wide and for that reason is almost always in the bag. I use it mostly for the 17 end, though as most know with a wide, a little tweak in focal length can make a big difference, so zoom is a nice feature here. It is very sharp centrally, however cannot hold the extreme corners at any aperture or focal. But since it does very well at frame edge, I live with bad corners, since rarely is extreme corner performance mandatory for my imaging.

24-120/4 Nikkor Zoom -- it's just decent enough at 24 to be useful, and surprisingly very good at the 120 end, and in-betwen those in the middle. Corner performance on mine is good enough at all focals, so it sees a lot of use as a walk-around/convenience/travel/casual lens. Actually it sees a surprising amount of use considering its being essentially the worst lens I own.

24 PC-E -- I have a decent copy and find it useful for certain applications, so I keep it. I do not use it a lot, and as good as it is optically for a tilt-shift lens, it is barely up to the sensor centrally at optimal apertures. But that performance holds to corners through a significant range of the shift. Given the tilt and shift options, it offers unique imaging characteristics and all said and done makes very good images.

28/1.4 Nikkor -- Lens #1 in my triad. It isn't exceptional optically at 1.4, but the aberrations make for gorgeous rendering. It sharpens up nicely at f2, and is excellent by 4. Lower contrast than more modern, slower 28's, but has a look I'll never tire of. Its actual focal length is probably closer to 30, which for me is about ideal. So it is my favorite wide and so much so, I do not bother with a 35 anymore (and if I need 35, I have the 17-35).

50 Sigma ART -- Lens #2 in my triad. Smashingly excellent at all apertures and only drops slightly at the extreme corners wide open. (By f4 it is essentially the optical equal of the outstanding 85/1.4G.) Great bokeh both ahead and behind POF. It's a little large for a 50/1.4, but the overall rendering is outstanding. I knew after getting this lens that I'd never look back at my 50/1.2 D manual focus, so I sold it to a friend who wanted it.

85/1.4 Nikkor AF G -- Lens #3 in my triad. Simply outstanding, one of the best lenses I own optically with great character and bokeh. A little large, but renders so beautifully, it is almost always in my bag.

85 Nikkor PC-E -- very good optically, even fully shifted at the corners. Better optically than the 24 by a wide margin, and the usefulness features for tilt-shift lenses hold. It has very good macro capability and my 1.4x Nikon converter adds some versatility.

85 Petzval -- I bought it on a whim, but it renders so classically old-time large format look, I definitely keep it for certain creative applications. It's also just a blast to shoot with.

105/2 Nikkor AF-DC -- very good optically corner to corner wide open, and sharpens up to excellent by f2.8. You can move the POF with the DC ring to tune look for portraits. I hardly ever both shooting it anywhere but with the DC zeroed, but it's a nice feature to have when shooting portraits of more mature women

Sigma 120-300/2.8 OS DG HSM zoom -- this lens is surprisingly good optically at 120, and stays that way all the way to 300! While perhaps not quite up to the Nikkor 300/2.8 prime, it's still quite excellent optically, a lot cheaper and more versatile. It hardly suffers with either the Sigma 1.4 or 2x converter attached, making it a versatile long tele for the times I need one. It is a beast, so gets left in its own trunk case with the Sigma converters at the car until needed.

180 Nikkor AF-D, late model -- just picked this lens up and couldn't be happier. It will likely replace the 105DC at being one found in my bag most of the time. Other copies I've seen were perhaps older versions and did not render great in the corners. But this one is very good centrally and holds well across the frame. Much like my 28/1.4, this lens shows its age of optical design with some aberrations, lower overall contrast, slightly more yellow hue and a teeny bit of CA in the final image, but these latter are easily correctable. In the end, it has a great look by my standards and is a relative bargain in this focal for my needs. As a side note, Nikon or Sigma teleconverters will NOT mount on this lens even if they've had their mounts modified -- the lens throat while deep enough is too thick at one point to accept the front element of the converters.

I have owned, sold and won't be repurchasing: 70-200/2.8 current and previous generations; 80-400 current and previous generations; 24-120 previous generation; 50/1.4G; 85/1.8G; 28/1.8G; 35/1.4G; 14-24; 45 PC-E and a handful of manual focus Nikkor and Zeiss ZF lenses. My eyes are getting older and current AF is so good, I prefer to use it when possible.

Hope this helps.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got pretty close to what I'm after with this multiple exposure malarky...

Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Stunning image.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the f4 because it is about as good, has better VR and is much lighter and smaller. The Makro Planar is very sharp by has really bad colour fringing that takes a fair amount of stopping down to tame, and is often too many pixels wide to treat effectively. I sold mine and wouldn't consider another.

Post Thanks / Like

Another look with these: shot quite differently (but still multiple exposure) and then I have done some trickery with clarity, sharpening and NR in some fairly extreme ways to get the painterly look I'm after. These will probably get printed very large on Hahnemuhle German Etching and then I'll decide if I like them... This is quite fun!

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

and Tash.0 takes it up a notch!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jack and Tim for your very detailed responses. I've noted that the Sigma 50mm ART lens is a new stellar performer for both of you. While Jack prefers AF primes and Tim leans towards versatile zooms, for the most part it's déjà vu all over again. My aging eyes require either 1) very accurate and dependable AF or 2) focus peaking and focus magnification with Live View or EVF. That has led me to the Sony a7R, which I enjoy very much. Having become initially enamored with the small lightweight camera body, I have found myself migrating to large heavy (by comparison) adapted lenses. I had hoped that the D810 would have incorporated an EVF, but that was not to be. Now I'm hoping that Sony tames the shutter on its a7/a7R series with EFC or some such, one major advantage the D810 has over it at present. Thanks again for your responses, and keep the images coming. I'm enjoying the "fun with".

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I prefer the f4 because it is about as good, has better VR and is much lighter and smaller. The Makro Planar is very sharp by has really bad colour fringing that takes a fair amount of stopping down to tame, and is often too many pixels wide to treat effectively. I sold mine and wouldn't consider another.
    Which lens?

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Which lens?

Joe
    I'm guessing the Nikkor 70-200mm f4.0, which is actually very good and a lot lighter than the f2.8 version.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Joe, no focus peaking, but the AF confirm dot is spot-on for the 14 Sammy and PC manual lenses I own in both my D800E and D810. And in fact, the AF fine-tune offsets work for those lenses too in determining when the dot lights up for correct focus.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Which lens?

Joe

Joe, the 70-200. One thing about the Art: it is lovely, but is not notable better than the FE55 on the A7R - in fact at F1.8 thru F2.8 the FE has sharper edges. Bokeh might be a matter of taste but seems to me to be possibly a tiny bit more to my taste on the Art but not by a big margin. And of course the FE is relatively tiny... however, the files from the D810 are a touch more subtle, which I put down to two factors: lower compression of files and less in-camera pre-cooking of the RAW...
    Last edited by tashley; 13th August 2014 at 10:55.

Post Thanks / Like

Even I am not into DSLRs anymore, I am impressed by this Toggle example

diglloyd: Nikon D810: HDR in One Exposure?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Joe, no focus peaking, but the AF confirm dot is spot-on for the 14 Sammy and PC manual lenses I own in both my D800E and D810. And in fact, the AF fine-tune offsets work for those lenses too in determining when the dot lights up for correct focus.
    And according to Lloyd, the Live View is the best he's seen. This from his [free] blog:
    The Nikon D810 Live View (with Zacuto) is unequivocally the best experience I’ve ever had in a camera, and I definitely prefer it over the EVF on the Sony A7R. Not just a practical time saver but a hit rate improvement for focus, snapping in and out obviously. Awesome.

Joe, the 70-200. One thing about the Art: it is lovely, but is not notable better than the FE55 on the A7R - in fact at F1.8 thru F2.8 the FE has sharper edges. Bokeh might be a matter of taste but seems to me to be possibly a tiny bit more to my taste on the Art but not by a big margin. And of course the FE is relatively tiny... however, the files from the D810 are a touch more subtle, which I put down to two factors: lower compression of files and less in-camera pre-cooking of the RAW...
    The in-camera compression and "pre-cooking" annoys me, too. Sony's bias tends to be consumer electronics, and the a7/a7R is definitely biased towards the consumer JPEG shooter market.

The FE 55mm is simply a gem! I've tested it against the Leica 50mm equivalents and the FE 55mm wins in edge and corner sharpness. Definitely a winner.

Thanks again to you and Jack for sharing your experiences with the rest of us. It's all in the details.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, the D810's live view is in a word, outstanding.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Tried out the RAW S version the other day (was running low on cards).

Obviously a square crop however my thoughts on the S RAW are that for me anyway it's an emergency option if space is running out and a better alternative to shooting jpegs, but nothing else. I see no real advantages to it other than a 'get out of jail free' card so to speak.

Nikon d810 Nikon 50mm 1.8G ISO 200 1/125th [email protected] handheld..

My faux pas was the usual thoughts and mutterings, well documented and experienced by many of us...
    ' not on a job... won't be much to see and shoot... just take a few cards for some snaps etc....'
    Famous last words
    Steve Brickles

Post Thanks / Like

VERY gaudy light here this evening... the 50 ART, now I have AFFT'd it (+10) doesn't miss a trick and the D810 is just a totally different camera to the D800/E - even when snapshooting holiday casuals, it seems to get everything right. The reviews keep on saying it's an incremental, evolutionary type improvement. It's not. It is, simply, if you can forgive its heft, the finest camera there has ever been. Discuss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The reviews keep on saying it's an incremental, evolutionary type improvement. It's not. It is, simply, if you can forgive its heft, the finest camera there has ever been. Discuss.
    Okay, I'm discussing now, but it will include some disagreement

Regarding net IQ, it is an incremental upgrade IMHO; and mostly from the gained DR and resultant slight added smoothness. What's that worth? For me and my uses, not a whole lot because I already end up adding both black and white to a lot of my D800/E files! The added smoothness is nice though, and while visible onscreen, it is subtle enough to likely not be very prominent in print -- at least I think that; have to print a comparison to be certain and I haven't done that yet. Maybe I'll get some print-worthy captures this weekend when I shoot it more seriously

Regarding usability, the improved AF, improved live view, locking orientation AF points, I'd say those are worth whatever they're worth to the end user; to me, I'd probably tag a $500 value on them. So far, I have yet to determine a true value of the EFC for me. I know you like the multi-exposure blending Tim. I've played with it and while it works as advertised, it seems a bit gimmicky. Perhaps for doing a running water series on a tripod, it would eliminate the need for the heavy ND filters I currently use, and if the background stacks stay perfectly registered, and maintain resolution, that could be an interesting application to me.

So is it worth the cost of an upgrade? Assuming one can sell a D800 for around $1900, and a D800E for around $2200 now, then it would be a bit of a stretch in my humble opinion to say spending an extra $1100 or $1400 to get the D810 they'd be gaining that much in added IQ or usability -- at least for my uses...

In closing, I'm going to go out on a limb by suggesting that at least 50% of your enamor and admiration for the D810 is a result of also using the new 50 Art at the same time. Worth discussing?
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

You're right of course. But the intangible is worth everything to me - I actually really enjoy using it and feel that we (it and I) are a team. I really enjoy the extra DR and the much more reliable focus.

There's a small fly in the ointment though, and I have to await C1 support to be sure, but it seems to me that in many of the LR profiles, files are prone to posterise under any kind of slider action a little earlier than with the 800 series. I'm not at all sure about this. What do you think?