Site Sponsors

Thread: Tamron 150-600mm lens Nikon mount

Post Thanks / Like

Tamron 150-600mm lens Nikon mount

I pre ordered from B&H (Nikon mount) on March 20, and it arrived today Aug 15, so you may get a feel of the queue length. Have not used it yet. It comes with a free down load of Silkypix 4.0 Studio for Tamron, which supposedly corrects for aberrations of this lens during development from RAW. Anyone tried this software? I bought it to try to shoot wading birds here on the NJ shore
    Dave in NJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Tamron 150-600mm lens Nikon mount

I have my eye on this too. They have one in Nikon mount at the local shop here & I got told to bring my camera in, lol. Soon...

Post Thanks / Like

Have fun with it and post some pics!

It seems like a great lens - if I didn't have the Nikon 80-400mm, I would buy it in a snap!

Post Thanks / Like

Please report on how this lens performs in your eyes and also please some samples.

Have read so far mostly outstanding reports of this lens. I am very interested in buying one, so this would be greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

There is an extensive thread about this lens on Birdforum.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like a nice option for a versatile long zoom! I have a Sigma 120-300 and 2X that gets me effectively 120-600/2.8-5.6, but at about 6 pounds total weight
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

At the price point it's very tempting.

Reports I have read, from Lensrentals.com and a couple of wildlife shooter blogs, are that it's strong up to 500mm but past that it gets soft unless you are at around F16 or greater.

Net, it's a great lens in good to bright light, not such a good lens in low light. The tests were all on Canon cameras, as it appears not many of the Nikon units have shipped. All the Canon cameras were full frame.

I still feel this lens would be a great companion on the D800 family in DX mode for most wildlife. My local shop has 3 coming supposedly next week, 1 is Nikon mount, so I am hoping to stop by to try it.

The image stabilization seems to be excellent, AF a bit slow, but overall appears to be a great value for the price point, and 1.3K or 1.6K less than the Nikon 80 -400 (new version) I can't remember if that lens is 2.3 or 2.6K.

Paul