Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nikon Df - current user consensus?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nikon Df - current user consensus?

Let me, once again, play the devil's advocate in regards to the Df.

What a camera it could have been, but unfortunately, for me , it isn't.

It has super IQ. The files are just so...delicious. Yes, the manual controls, the backward compatibility with lenses etc.

But I have been unable to use the camera for extended periods of time due to some insane person designing the grip. Not deep enough. Not comfortable at all.

The ergonomics lets this camera down, for me. I get cramps in my curled hand/fingers. And then the inconsistent behavior of the various dials. Oh why couldn't they have maintained some consistency in the design of how all dials operate.

I use exposure compensation a lot. This comp dial cannot be assigned to a function key!! One has to use the left hand, pull up the knob ( or is push a button to release ) and then turn the dial to effect exp. comp. I find this unnecessarily tedious..and keep looking through the viewfinder or remove your eyes to look at the dial to set it. Small thing, but for all day use..it is a huge deal for me.

Nikon made it backward compatible with most of their MF legacy lenses. So why not give it a proper focussing screen? What a bummer and only x0.7 mag. What were they thinking?

There are other bits here and pieces there that are beginning to bother me. They distract me from using the cam as a seamless shooting tool. It makes me tired.

I thought it would bring the joy of my previous film Nikons, but it has failed in this for me. Sad. I so wanted it to work. Will I get rid of it? The jury is still out.

The sensor...yes, the sensor. I shall dearly miss it.

What a camera it could have been..well am I glad I still have my D700.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Peter
    Quite agree that one EVF camera is enough . . . but I only ever put the EVF on the M if I want to do macro . . . . so 43 and M ought to be the perfect combination. . . . . but like Tom, I also have a soft spot for the T - lovely lenses and interesting and satisfying interface . . but missing IBIS and speed.
    A boutique product by any name is still a boutique product. Good to know there are 2 owners of this item.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

For most, if a camera has the best Image quality among all other FF DSLRs, it is worth having. Now add to this the light body, the traditional ergonomics and the "real" camera looks and you end up with a unique product.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    A boutique product by any name is still a boutique product. Good to know there are 2 owners of this item.
    When I watched the 1 hour polishing video I knew I need that camera,
    And then, by mistake, I found out that one can take images with it.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Let me, once again, play the devil's advocate in regards to the Df.

What a camera it could have been, but unfortunately, for me , it isn't.

It has super IQ. The files are just so...delicious. Yes, the manual controls, the backward compatibility with lenses etc.

But I have been unable to use the camera for extended periods of time due to some insane person designing the grip. Not deep enough. Not comfortable at all.

The ergonomics lets this camera down, for me. I get cramps in my curled hand/fingers. And then the inconsistent behavior of the various dials. Oh why couldn't they have maintained some consistency in the design of how all dials operate.

I use exposure compensation a lot. This comp dial cannot be assigned to a function key!! One has to use the left hand, pull up the knob ( or is push a button to release ) and then turn the dial to effect exp. comp. I find this unnecessarily tedious..and keep looking through the viewfinder or remove your eyes to look at the dial to set it. Small thing, but for all day use..it is a huge deal for me.

Nikon made it backward compatible with most of their MF legacy lenses. So why not give it a proper focussing screen? What a bummer and only x0.7 mag. What were they thinking?

There are other bits here and pieces there that are beginning to bother me. They distract me from using the cam as a seamless shooting tool. It makes me tired.

I thought it would bring the joy of my previous film Nikons, but it has failed in this for me. Sad. I so wanted it to work. Will I get rid of it? The jury is still out.

The sensor...yes, the sensor. I shall dearly miss it.

What a camera it could have been..well am I glad I still have my D700.
    The grip of the D750 and the A7II feel better, but do you find the grip of the DF really that bad thats its a problem?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    The grip of the D750 and the A7II feel better, but do you find the grip of the DF really that bad thats its a problem?
    Unfortunately, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by T.Dascalos View Post
    For most, if a camera has the best Image quality among all other FF DSLRs, it is worth having. Now add to this the light body, the traditional ergonomics and the "real" camera looks and you end up with a unique product.
    For me ergonomics play a very big part when I have to use that particular camera for extended lengths of time. It is the sum of all its parts coming together or not.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

For me ergonomics play a very big part when I have to use that particular camera for extended lengths of time. It is the sum of all its parts coming together or not.
    But this is personal... some love it, some don't. Some others prefer a Leica m for ergonomics, we can't expect to compare ergonomics of an "M" to a D4 now... can we? It's a matter of customer's approach. The market success of DF shows that many are attracted by its ergonomics. I know many (me being one) that own the DF alongside another "modern" Nikon body (I have a D800E for instance) and prefer DF's ergonomics. It's purely personal and is meant (by design) to be so.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    When I watched the 1 hour polishing video I knew I need that camera,
    And then, by mistake, I found out that one can take images with it.
    They did make a statement with that video.

I could not watch even 30s of it.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    They did make a statement with that video.

I could not watch even 30s of it.
    I watch it every evening to fall asleep :sleep006:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course it is my personal opinion. I have stated what I don't like about it.
    Others are fine with it...great.

All cameras are by design; they don't get to the marketplace out of nowhere.

I use Leica Ms, Nikon, Fuji. I find the sum of their parts make for a pleasant experience for me.

The Df not so, for me. For others it might rightly be good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by T.Dascalos View Post
    But this is personal... some love it, some don't. Some others prefer a Leica m for ergonomics, we can't expect to compare ergonomics of an "M" to a D4 now... can we? It's a matter of customer's approach. The market success of DF shows that many are attracted by its ergonomics. I know many (me being one) that own the DF alongside another "modern" Nikon body (I have a D800E for instance) and prefer DF's ergonomics. It's purely personal and is meant (by design) to be so.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, yes.

Have you tried to add an external grip?

New DF-GR1 grip for the Nikon Df camera announced in Japan | Nikon Rumors

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks retow.

I shall definitely investigate external grips.

Best.

Quote Originally Posted by retow View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm - this Df grip reminds me of the Grip for the Fuji XT1 - which I need to be able to comfortably hold this camera in my hands.

The Df is already as comfortable in my hands as it is - same as the XT1 with grip - so I doubt the Df grip would add any benefit for me

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interestingly, I find the grip of the Df fine -- while totally different than the D810, it still works in my hands -- and what's a bit puzzling given the differences, is how the controls all still seem to fall where you expect them to be.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

i find the grip not great but ok. Imreally like the overall sie and feel of the camera.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by retow View Post
    Sigh ... If only they'd made it with an arca mount in the base like the Fuji it might of been worth trying as a cleaner set up than the RRS plate on the Df.

I too have no real issues with the DF grip although it does miss one of THE best features of Nikon bodies which is that finger tip ridge on the inside of the grip. I find that so comfortable that you can hold even a D3s and large lens just by the tips of your fingers in that ridge.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Sigh ... If only they'd made it with an arca mount in the base like the Fuji it might of been worth trying as a cleaner set up than the RRS plate on the Df.
    Ditto - ditto!