The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Df - current user consensus?

rayyan

I am sloooow. In everything. I do not read manuals. I have to say each letter loud before I get to the word. So manual/s take forever for me to read.

And I am borrrring. I get a cam, and shoot away. Just a water bottle, table lamp. Again and again and again.

Why? Because I am sloooow; like I said before. Once I do this a few thousand times, I generally do not need the menu or the manual. Except for a very very few things like ' format ' and such like.

So, the Df has been with me about a week. The shutter count is way past the 1000 mark..( I am sloooow; so keep file numbering continuous; nothing fancy so as not to confuse myself ).

I bought me a 50/1.8 G; and a 85/1.8 G. But you know what?
I prefer the look of my 50/1.4 D and the 85/1.4 D on the Df. But the 85/1.4 D is heavy. And so was the 85/1.4 G.

But the 50/1.4 D. Seems to go with the Df.

I feel pretty confident now that I can work this cam blindfolded ( well almost ).
The manual controls fall just right for my hands. I pause, for a millisecond..for the exposure comp dial. But slowing me down slightly is a good thing. I am sloooow, by birth.

The battery life? Honestly, I thought it is excellent. In trial mode, I am chimping all the time. And it has lasted more than a full day of clicking.

I have not attached any strap to it yet. because I wanted to carry it for a long time. To assess if I could do it when I am traveling. Yes, I can.

I love the ' damped thump ' of the shutter.

The focus acquisition is not blazing fast..I did not expect it to be; but not lethargic by any means. In the dark, excellent.

Am I justifying it because I bought it. To some minor degree, yes. But it is something that is growing on me..fast. And I am sloooow, as I mentioned previously.

Is xyz better? I am sure it is. Would xyz be better? I don't know.

You see, I do photography with my heart. Not with my mind.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure what it is about the combo, but my 17-35/2.8 af pretty much lives on the Df body now -- for whatever reason, that combo just sings classic... And then the 105DC if I need longer. My big zooms and faster primes are relegated to the D800e and D810.

rayyan

When I had the 17-35/2.8, I used it on the D70/s, D200, D300 and the D700.

Besides being a super optic, I found that it just balanced well on all the cams. It has ' that ' something of size and weight distribution that enamored itself to me.
And the images it makes are super, of course.

That with the 105DC is an excellent kit indeed. Top optics combining with a super sensor.

Unfortunately, I have to think of weight and volume of the kit I carry.
I do have the perfect 28/50/85-1.4 kit. Way too heavy and bulky.

Serious considerations are being given to just the 50/1.4 D and the 85/2 ai-s.
Just, maybe just, I might re-purchase a 55/2.8 ai-s macro. And call it a day.

Good luck with your kit.

I'm not sure what it is about the combo, but my 17-35/2.8 af pretty much lives on the Df body now -- for whatever reason, that combo just sings classic... And then the 105DC if I need longer. My big zooms and faster primes are relegated to the D800e and D810.

routlaw

Interesting comments on the 17-35, had that lens years ago but the quality of optics on this lens eluded me. Just never got the results most of you are talking about and thats even with a Dx sensor no less. On the plus side it did fit and feel good, much more so than the 24-70 I sold earlier in the year. In any case I bought the 17-35 based upon the glowing reviews it had at the time, just never saw it myself and oddly enough know others who had the same issues, go figure.

As for the OP, have had the Df since the spring, but embarrassingly enough have hardly had the time to use it. OPW's (other peoples work) provide so little time to do any of my own personal work. Some day maybe.

rob

I'm pretty happy with mine. If you're using manual lenses I would totally recommend the focusingscreen dot com 'precision matte screen.' It's way more accurate than the stock. Instillation takes some time because you sort of have to calibrate it with shims but it's not at all challenging.

I find the D750 is a better pair for my AF lenses though, even my 58mm G. The Sigma 35mm is really front heavy on the Df. If I was shooting a wedding I could probably do some great work with a Df w/ the 35 and the D750 w/ the 58. Put them on a Hold fast and shoot all day. That's actually my plan for this season's weddings! With Rolleiflex shots mixed in throughout the day of course.

That sensor is crazy good. I'm really hoping to see a much smaller, and even simpler Df2.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Best damn low-light DSLR that works with all my lenses.
It is my go-to travel camera and frankly the best ever for hotel-room boudoir. :p
-bob

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Best damn low-light DSLR that works with all my lenses.
It is my go-to travel camera and frankly the best ever for hotel-room boudoir. :p
-bob
That and the iPhone ... Oh, err, oops maybe that was too much information and boudoir is the tame stuff ;)

Seriously though I still think that my Df is a long term keeper and maybe the earlier note is correct about tweeked colour profiles because it does look different to my other Nikons and definitely the Sonys.

The D750 does seem like Nikon got their act together in a compact higher res camera as an alternative to the D810 (the D800 equivalent of the D3s in my book - a goldilocks camera). However, with Older glass that Df sensor just sings.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
However, with Older glass that Df sensor just sings.
In fact, almost ANY glass and it sings... But I know what you mean about older. There is just something special to the look of the Df file when coupled to legacy glass. I think it's when the smoothness of color off this particular sensor mates with the softer contrast of legacy lenses you get an extra special look...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am currently testing the Df and I am overwhelmed by the IQ I am getting out with NEF OOC. It makes obviously a huge difference which processing SW you use, I tried LR6 and C1Pro8 and the results from C1Pro8 are just stunning. Almost no PP and if needed it is easy and fast and improves somehow the IQ again. Looks really magical to me! I never achieved that even with heavy PP from the NEF files of my D800E.

I shot the Nikkor 1.8/35 and 1.8/85 on this camera and both are very good. I think this could become my everyday camera combo easily!

retow

I am currently testing the Df and I am overwhelmed by the IQ I am getting out with NEF OOC. It makes obviously a huge difference which processing SW you use, I tried LR6 and C1Pro8 and the results from C1Pro8 are just stunning. Almost no PP and if needed it is easy and fast and improves somehow the IQ again. Looks really magical to me! I never achieved that even with heavy PP from the NEF files of my D800E.

I shot the Nikkor 1.8/35 and 1.8/85 on this camera and both are very good. I think this could become my everyday camera combo easily!
Be careful, this sensor`s output is addictive. There won`t be a way back to mft or aps-c, unless it was a Foveon :salute:

jonoslack

Be careful, this sensor`s output is addictive. There won`t be a way back to mft or aps-c, unless it was a Foveon :salute:
I'm not sure there's a way back to most full frame sensors either - so I'm keeping clear for now . . . for now!