The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is Nikon about to release a new "f2.8 trilogy"...

Swissblad

I've just noticed a sizeable price drop in the Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 and especially in the Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8.

Since Nikon issued a new Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 following the Nikon D800, are these price drops a prelude to a revamped completion of the f2.8 series?

Curious….. Photokina is just a round the corner.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
There has been plenty of rumor about the 24-70/2.8 being upgraded to a version 2 to match Canon s upgrade . As much as I favor fast primes ..its hard to ignore the 24-70/2.8 for events ,groups ,weddings etc . My daughter bought the Canon 24-70/2.8 version 2 and it has been a significant upgrade in IQ easily matching Canon s prime alternatives for most applications . The Nikon is a fine lens but not close to the Canon 24-70.

Size and weight however have been an issue and it is more likely we will see a 24-xx/4 to be introduced with the D750 first .

Nikon is also struggling financially and is more likely trying to move lenses to improve revenue . Even the new D810 is pretty easy to obtain within a few weeks so that can t be good for Nikon . The new D750 looks to be a camera that could be sold in the type of volume Nikon needs . With a 24 mp sensor even at $2500 it will have good margin for Nikon . (same sensor as the D610 ..$1900 ….with processor,Af etc of the D810/D4s ) .

Heard nothing about the 14-24/2.8 except on going complaints about that very large front element and issues with using filter systems . Image quality has never been an issue for the 14-24/2.8 . I had a copy for two years and just never wanted to use it because of that darn front element so I sold my lens.

wattsy

Here in the UK there have been 10-20% reductions this year for both Nikon and Canon lenses – not just "F2.8 trilogy" but many others too, including the recently introduced primes. I think it is competition and currency related.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I had heard a rumor of Nikon developing a 24-85/2.8 zoom several months back. If they actually pulled that off, I'll be all over it like a bee on honey --- regardless of cost!

Swissblad

I just wonder how big that would be, Jack.
A zoom to 85mm would be great, as 70mm really is not a useful focal length - and the reason I opted for the 24-120mm.
Here's hoping…… ;)

Hulyss Bowman

Imho, nikon should develop a new 24-70. The actual one is excellent on D700, Df/D4, but sucks a bit on D800 and up. We are used to very very good f2.8 lenses. A bit bored by f4 zooms actually :/

Dustbak

I love my 24-70 on the D800. It is not an exciting lens but it surely gets the job done reliably. If Nikon comes with a new VR version that is even better I will most certainly be amongst the first to get one. I have both the 70-200 zooms but the f4 versions sees a lot of action. That is one neat lens IMO.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The 2.8 70-200 VRII was introduced a while before the D800/D800E already. I love mine, but there always could be improvement. IMHO the current Canon 2.8/70-200 IS is better - maybe even significantly better.

I sold my 2.8/24-70 long time ago and never looked back. This was such a boring lens for me. I would be interested in a 2.8/24-80-something version though.

The 14-24 I also sold as it was not an easy lens to use (front element) and I also was not really happy with IQ - especially in the corners. This was already pretty obvious on the D3 with 12MP, needless to try that on a D800 and above.

I do not want to hijack this thread, but I think Nikon is in pretty bad financial trouble, so they will be rather reluctant rolling out too many new lenses. They already have a nice lineup compared to Canon. What they really need are advanced DSLR/mirrorless cameras - I think of a good combination of both - keeping the great OVF while also providing the option of an advanced top of the line EVF - at least Fuji XT1 quality. If they do not take this up they will get even into more trouble - 2 more years? Having said that - Canon currently is not better - maybe financially but definitely not with advanced DSLR/mirrorless developments. Will be interesting to see how long both can survive this strategy.

jonoslack

I think of a good combination of both - keeping the great OVF while also providing the option of an advanced top of the line EVF - at least Fuji XT1 quality. If they do not take this up they will get even into more trouble - 2 more years? Having said that - Canon currently is not better - maybe financially but definitely not with advanced DSLR/mirrorless developments. Will be interesting to see how long both can survive this strategy.
Amazing isn't it - they seem to have their heads firmly buried in the sand whilst Sony and others are taking over the new market (hard to catch up I fear).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Amazing isn't it - they seem to have their heads firmly buried in the sand whilst Sony and others are taking over the new market (hard to catch up I fear).
I was thinking around these lines when I heard about the D750 rumours. It sounds like a nice camera if everything rumoured is true, but they really need something more now. A hybrid viewfinder?

A new f/2.8 trilogy is probably the last thing they need. While the trio they currently make isn't perfect (boring is probably a better description), something that stands out in a crowd would make more sense. Tamron made a 28-105mm f/2.8 for many years, and although it was not a great lens, it was far better than its reputation. With current technology, this should be a viable option. Or go the other way, something similar to the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8. How about a 60-120mm f/2.0 portrait zoom for FX?