Site Sponsors

Thread: Is Nikon about to release a new "f2.8 trilogy"...

Post Thanks / Like

Is Nikon about to release a new "f2.8 trilogy"...

I've just noticed a sizeable price drop in the Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 and especially in the Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8.

Since Nikon issued a new Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 following the Nikon D800, are these price drops a prelude to a revamped completion of the f2.8 series?

Curious….. Photokina is just a round the corner.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Nikon about to release a new "f2.8 trilogy"...

There has been plenty of rumor about the 24-70/2.8 being upgraded to a version 2 to match Canon s upgrade . As much as I favor fast primes ..its hard to ignore the 24-70/2.8 for events ,groups ,weddings etc . My daughter bought the Canon 24-70/2.8 version 2 and it has been a significant upgrade in IQ easily matching Canon s prime alternatives for most applications . The Nikon is a fine lens but not close to the Canon 24-70.

Size and weight however have been an issue and it is more likely we will see a 24-xx/4 to be introduced with the D750 first .

Nikon is also struggling financially and is more likely trying to move lenses to improve revenue . Even the new D810 is pretty easy to obtain within a few weeks so that can t be good for Nikon . The new D750 looks to be a camera that could be sold in the type of volume Nikon needs . With a 24 mp sensor even at $2500 it will have good margin for Nikon . (same sensor as the D610 ..$1900 ….with processor,Af etc of the D810/D4s ) .

Heard nothing about the 14-24/2.8 except on going complaints about that very large front element and issues with using filter systems . Image quality has never been an issue for the 14-24/2.8 . I had a copy for two years and just never wanted to use it because of that darn front element so I sold my lens.
    Roger Dunham
    http://rogerdunham.com/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here in the UK there have been 10-20% reductions this year for both Nikon and Canon lenses – not just "F2.8 trilogy" but many others too, including the recently introduced primes. I think it is competition and currency related.
    Ian Watts | Tumblr | Instagram |www.ianwatts.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had heard a rumor of Nikon developing a 24-85/2.8 zoom several months back. If they actually pulled that off, I'll be all over it like a bee on honey --- regardless of cost!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

I just wonder how big that would be, Jack.
    A zoom to 85mm would be great, as 70mm really is not a useful focal length - and the reason I opted for the 24-120mm.
    Here's hoping……

Post Thanks / Like

Imho, nikon should develop a new 24-70. The actual one is excellent on D700, Df/D4, but sucks a bit on D800 and up. We are used to very very good f2.8 lenses. A bit bored by f4 zooms actually :/
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com

Post Thanks / Like

I love my 24-70 on the D800. It is not an exciting lens but it surely gets the job done reliably. If Nikon comes with a new VR version that is even better I will most certainly be amongst the first to get one. I have both the 70-200 zooms but the f4 versions sees a lot of action. That is one neat lens IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

The 2.8 70-200 VRII was introduced a while before the D800/D800E already. I love mine, but there always could be improvement. IMHO the current Canon 2.8/70-200 IS is better - maybe even significantly better.

I sold my 2.8/24-70 long time ago and never looked back. This was such a boring lens for me. I would be interested in a 2.8/24-80-something version though.

The 14-24 I also sold as it was not an easy lens to use (front element) and I also was not really happy with IQ - especially in the corners. This was already pretty obvious on the D3 with 12MP, needless to try that on a D800 and above.

I do not want to hijack this thread, but I think Nikon is in pretty bad financial trouble, so they will be rather reluctant rolling out too many new lenses. They already have a nice lineup compared to Canon. What they really need are advanced DSLR/mirrorless cameras - I think of a good combination of both - keeping the great OVF while also providing the option of an advanced top of the line EVF - at least Fuji XT1 quality. If they do not take this up they will get even into more trouble - 2 more years? Having said that - Canon currently is not better - maybe financially but definitely not with advanced DSLR/mirrorless developments. Will be interesting to see how long both can survive this strategy.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I think of a good combination of both - keeping the great OVF while also providing the option of an advanced top of the line EVF - at least Fuji XT1 quality. If they do not take this up they will get even into more trouble - 2 more years? Having said that - Canon currently is not better - maybe financially but definitely not with advanced DSLR/mirrorless developments. Will be interesting to see how long both can survive this strategy.
    Amazing isn't it - they seem to have their heads firmly buried in the sand whilst Sony and others are taking over the new market (hard to catch up I fear).

Just this guy you know

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Amazing isn't it - they seem to have their heads firmly buried in the sand whilst Sony and others are taking over the new market (hard to catch up I fear).
    I was thinking around these lines when I heard about the D750 rumours. It sounds like a nice camera if everything rumoured is true, but they really need something more now. A hybrid viewfinder?

A new f/2.8 trilogy is probably the last thing they need. While the trio they currently make isn't perfect (boring is probably a better description), something that stands out in a crowd would make more sense. Tamron made a 28-105mm f/2.8 for many years, and although it was not a great lens, it was far better than its reputation. With current technology, this should be a viable option. Or go the other way, something similar to the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8. How about a 60-120mm f/2.0 portrait zoom for FX?
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en