The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

That little piece of plastic junk

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Lately, I've tried to convince myself that I need a new 50mm, like the big, impressive Sigma or the brand new Nikkor f/1.4 or a Zeiss even. But then, like today, I go out and take some photos with this little piece of plastic that tumbles around at the bottom of my camera bag, and if I'm going to be totally honest with myself..... it's rather good.

I mean, if there's anything wrong with my photos, it's hardly the fault of this lens. It's sharper than I need it to be, and if I behave nicely, and don't swear :cussing: while taking photos, even the bokeh looks good.

So how on earth can I find a good excuse to spend a bunch of moneys on a lens when this noisy little plastic toy performs so well :confused:

S5 with Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 @ f/2.5

V

Vivek

Yup, the question isn't, "to be or not to be" but "to be and no more".

This is as simple and good as it can get.

D300, 50/1.8, f/2.2

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Ah, very nice Vivek.

Sometimes, I'm tempted to go back 35 years, when all I had was an OM-1 and the 50/1.8. Somehow, that didn't feel like a limitation then. Oh well... dreams, dreams. Good old times never come back, do they?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, I think that even if you taped some old eyeglass lenses together and glued them to the front of a cardboard throwaway camera, your photos would end up looking great. No need to worry yourself about the gear.

jonoslack

Lovely, both of you . . . . perhaps in the good old days the look that girl was giving you might have been different Vivek? :ROTFL:

I remember a friend of mine being really proud of his new Porsche . . . then he realised that all the girls looking at him were thinking:

"What's that old fool doing in that lovely car"

You don't need another 50 Jorgen . . . you don't need another anything. . .

On the other hand . . . :ROTFL:

robmac

It's funny for all the rightful bitching we do over some of the spendy so-called "pro" lenses Canon (especially) and Nikon, etc sell that are, well, nothing but, the el-cheapo glorified-lens-cap "plastic fantastics" from both firms are really rather good. Some of the best bang/buck both firms offer.

V

Vivek

Thank you, Jorgen. :)

Yes, indeed you should force yourself from time to time to do exactly that!;)

Thank you Jono. :)

I shall not expand on what you said. I am glad that the shot made you say all that!:)

D300, 50/1.8 AF, f/2.2

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, I think that even if you taped some old eyeglass lenses together and glued them to the front of a cardboard throwaway camera, your photos would end up looking great. No need to worry yourself about the gear.
Actually, some of my most memorable photos were taken with a couple of throwaway cameras, on an excursion to Chiang Mai, almost nine years ago. Unfortunately the girl eventually disappeared with another fellow.... and the bulk of the pictures :scry:

clay stewart

I picked up one of these 50 1.8's recently and I too think it's a pretty decent lens. Seven aperture blades for decent bokeh and sharp too.

Last edited:

nostatic

Here's an alternative, off topic and very worrying:

http://www.yupoo.com/photos/zoom?id=ff8080811ed43560011ee99036493f67
http://www.yupoo.com/photos/zoom?id=ff8080811e444688011e446856bb02f4

Taken with the new Pentax 55mm f/1.4. Weather sealed lens. Won't fit on my Fuji, but on the very nice Pentax bodies which are weather sealed as well.

Is the new Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 weather sealed?
Not worrying at all. You can also slap these on your very nice Pentax body :D

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Now, those are totally off topic, not even close to 50mm :D

But of the lenses that I don't own, these do happen to be my favourites. The 55mm (plus the new 15mm and a 135mm) would make the set complete.

Coming to think of it, those two are probably better than any lens that I do own :(

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The 55 is closer :D

I like the 43 for its size and price, but think the focal length is a bit off, and my impression is also that the 31 and 77 (and 70) are better lenses.

However, should I buy a Pentax, I'd probably buy the 43 as well. If I concentrate hard, I might even be able to take a photo or two with it :D

nostatic

The 55 is closer :D

I like the 43 for its size and price, but think the focal length is a bit off, and my impression is also that the 31 and 77 (and 70) are better lenses.

However, should I buy a Pentax, I'd probably buy the 43 as well. If I concentrate hard, I might even be able to take a photo or two with it :D
The 55 is a bigger and heavier lens. I think the 77 is the best of the bunch, but I've had two different 31s and ended up not keeping either one. I picked up the 43 on a whim and have grown to really like it. I originally got it because the view through the finder has the same magnification as my eyeball outside the finder (though at 65mm effective it isn't "normal" - but neither am I). 43 (iirc)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've been considering buying a K200D, and with a 43mm, it's a cheap, compact solution for walks around the city, not very different from my old OM-1 with the 50. It uses the same batteries as my S3 and the cards from my D80, so it would be a "no-fuzz" solution.

Avoiding yet another kind of battery/charger is actually a big deal for me. It's confusing and unpractical to have to deal with lots of different units that all look the same.

V

Vivek

These Vietnam made lenses are absolutely gorgeous! :)

Almost want me shoot with a Pentax.

nostatic

These Vietnam made lenses are absolutely gorgeous! :)

Almost want me shoot with a Pentax.
sorry to burst your bubble, but those (FA limited) are all made in Japan. The DA limited are assembled in Vietnam.

Nice try though ;)