The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

That little piece of plastic junk

V

Vivek

What a bummer!:(

I would swear that the lenses I saw (DA or FA, whatever) did not say, "assembled in" but "made in" Vietnam!:)

nostatic

What a bummer!:(

I would swear that the lenses I saw (DA or FA, whatever) did not say, "assembled in" but "made in" Vietnam!:)
Regular DA lenses are made in Vietnam. But frankly are as good or better build quality than most low/mid end Nikon glass. The DA limited are assembled in Vietnam (presumably with Japanese made guts), made of metal, not plastic, and are *very* nice build quality. The FA limited are fully made in Japan and are gorgeous. The latter two groups, small fast primes that aren't plastic and have a great build aesthetic, are the main reason to shoot Pentax imho.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled Nikon programming :D

V

Vivek

Thanks for the clarification nostatic. Lovely lenses and lovely examples as well.:)

Nikon:confused:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The final proof. I need a Pentax (or a Sony, put the Pentax lenses are so compact) or a D700. Fast 50 (or 85 on the D700) with IS or high ISO. This one is from yesterday, nice party, and a great view from the balcony, but since I don't take a tripod to parties (imagine the jokes: no spouse, but a tripod :LOL: :scry: ), it's not sharp :(

D80 with 50mm f/1.8 @ f/2, ISO 1250 and 1/25s

V

Vivek

Jorgen, I know you are devious and wicked. ;)

Fabulous picture, Jorgen!:)

jonoslack

Well
Lovely photo Jorgen - looks like an interesting party as well.
You'd have been best of with the D700 for that I suppose . . . but then there is all the other stuff you do where an A900 would be better, but perhaps you need the Pentax anyway because of those tiny lenses.

Get 'em all!

woodyspedden

The final proof. I need a Pentax (or a Sony, put the Pentax lenses are so compact) or a D700. Fast 50 (or 85 on the D700) with IS or high ISO. This one is from yesterday, nice party, and a great view from the balcony, but since I don't take a tripod to parties (imagine the jokes: no spouse, but a tripod :LOL: :scry: ), it's not sharp :(

D80 with 50mm f/1.8 @ f/2, ISO 1250 and 1/25s

Jordan

I totally love this image. Reminds me of renaissance paintings showing the joy of life. You have really captured this moment and turned it into something large that life

Congratulations. This is something really special (God knows what ever that means but I mean it for sure)

Woody

Lars

I have a 50/1.8 AiS and a 50/1.8 Series E. The two lenses seem to be the same optical design, with the E lens all plastic barrel where the AiS is metal. My E sample has a jammed aperture, which might or might not be an indication of build quality.

V

Vivek

I have come across at least 2 (it could actually be 3) E-series 50mm lenses, each with a minor variation in construction (all were cannibalized for their focus mounts to rehouse other lenses).

There is a coating difference between the AiS (which also exhibits barrel distortion, btw) and the E lens.