Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: Fun with Nikon 1 J4

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Fun with Nikon 1 J4

    Just to start a thread on this formally. Eventually I guess this would go to the main and only thread but I would prefer to keep separate for now.



    - Ricardo

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Nikon 1 J4


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Nikon 1 J4




  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Nikon 1 J4

    Some shots from tonight...









    - Ricardo

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Nikon 1 J4







    - Ricardo

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Nikon 1 J4







    - Ricardo

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Nikon 1 J4

    Some Folsom Street fair 2014 follows...







    - Ricardo
    Last edited by raist3d; 22nd September 2014 at 00:01.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Nikon 1 J4







    - Ricardo
    Last edited by raist3d; 22nd September 2014 at 00:02.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #9
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,344
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Fun with Nikon 1 J4

    I enjoy these a lot, Ricardo. There's something very film-like about the photos from the 1 series, particularly the b&w ones. I'm very tempted to buy one as a supplement to my other Nikon cameras, but, but.... I have so many cameras...

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Nikon 1 J4

    I hear you on so many cameras ;-)

    I just re-upload three shots with some enhancements as I see they could use a "bit better" - the guy in the ballerina dress (a bit of a different crop), the old bald man (different crop to remove distracting yellow thingie on left), the "Goth" couple (a bit more sharpening, that shot wasn't quite sport on focus).

    Update: will tell you right now, if Pentax/Ricoh had made F1.0 primes for the Q, that's what I would still be using. My Folsom shots from last year on the Q7 were pretty decent too. The F1.2 32mm Nikon 1 prime is a jewel (with the respective high price :-) ).

    - Ricardo

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Nikon 1 J4



    - Ricardo

  12. #12
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,344
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Fun with Nikon 1 J4

    Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    The F1.2 32mm Nikon 1 prime is a jewel (with the respective high price :-) ).

    - Ricardo
    I'm not impressed. The PanaLeica 42.5mm f/1.2 for m4/3 is twice the price and twice the weight
    That's obviously on a slightly larger format, and maybe the Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 would be a more realistic comparison, but only the top lens is the top lens

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Nikon 1 J4

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I'm not impressed. The PanaLeica 42.5mm f/1.2 for m4/3 is twice the price and twice the weight
    That's obviously on a slightly larger format, and maybe the Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 would be a more realistic comparison, but only the top lens is the top lens
    Oh, I don't mean to say there aren't other lenses that are good on other systems. Must saying the F1.2 32mm is a good lens :-)

    - Ricardo

  14. #14
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,344
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Fun with Nikon 1 J4

    Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    Oh, I don't mean to say there aren't other lenses that are good on other systems. Must saying the F1.2 32mm is a good lens :-)

    - Ricardo
    The point for me is that the price difference between these two lenses would go a long way to pay for a V3 with all the "goodies"

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Nikon 1 J4







    - Ricardo

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Nikon 1 J4







    - Ricardo

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Nikon 1 J4



    - Ricardo

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Nikon 1 J4

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    The point for me is that the price difference between these two lenses would go a long way to pay for a V3 with all the "goodies"
    Gotcha :-) I think the V3 is very overpriced. Ironically I find the J4 has a very Zen-like simplicity and now that it's made of metal along with the flash, it does not s*xor to me as the J1 did.

    The V3 is nice- just wish it didn't have the dial wheel in the back since it has already enough wheels for the interface.

    - Ricardo

  19. #19
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,344
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Fun with Nikon 1 J4

    Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    Gotcha :-) I think the V3 is very overpriced. Ironically I find the J4 has a very Zen-like simplicity and now that it's made of metal along with the flash, it does not s*xor to me as the J1 did.

    The V3 is nice- just wish it didn't have the dial wheel in the back since it has already enough wheels for the interface.

    - Ricardo
    The V3 is twice as expensive as the J4 here ($1,300 vs. $625), but the price of the V3 includes the grip, the viewfinder and the FT-1 adapter. What would be more tempting for me than the J4 is the AW1, which is less than $200 more expensive.

    How is AF-C when recording video on the J4?

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Nikon 1 J4

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    The V3 is twice as expensive as the J4 here ($1,300 vs. $625), but the price of the V3 includes the grip, the viewfinder and the FT-1 adapter. What would be more tempting for me than the J4 is the AW1, which is less than $200 more expensive.

    How is AF-C when recording video on the J4?
    It's pretty good, though I have not used it much and it depends on what you want to do. You can AF or tap to focus.

    What I do like is that the video records with good sensitivity and no rolling shutter or obvious moire from what I have seen.

    Both V3 and J4 behave the same here. I still find the V3 overpriced even with the USA extras they throw in. I also find the grip badly designed because the socket is off-center from the lens and you have to remove it to replace the battery (!).

    I think Nikon should at least do a V3 package with the EVF for no more than $800 USD. Maybe drop the J4 to $500 and keep $300 USD between them. As it is, at twice the price, it's a bit hard to take in, particularly with all the cameras you can get in that price range.

    - Ricardo

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Nikon 1 J4









    - Ricardo

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Nikon 1 J4









    - Ricardo

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Nikon 1 J4





    - Ricardo

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Nikon 1 J4



    These guys have been together over 20 years:







    - Ricardo
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Nikon 1 J4





    - Ricardo

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Nikon 1 J4








  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Nikon 1 J4





    - Ricardo

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Nikon 1 J4

    Following up with new shots in the main "Fun with Nikon thread." I think the period of time for the individual J4 is done.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •