The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM vs Nikon 58mm 1.4? Which opne to get?

haring

I am thinking about buying a new 50mm lens for my wedding photography lens collection.

Which one do you think it is better? The sigma or the Nikon? Sigma is cheaper and has amazing reviews....!!! It is hard to pay more for the Nikon....

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here is the conundrum... The new Sigma 50 ART lens is a winner for a fast 50, period. But the Nikkor is a 58... Those extra 8mm may not sound like much, but they make a world of difference if you're a portrait shooter instead of a street shooter; the difference between ever so slightly slightly bulbous noses and flatter pert noses on a typical head-shot.

Me, I own and prefer the Sigma Art. Bob OTOH has the Nikkor. In a perfect world where I had an assistant carrying everything for me, I'd easily make a case for owning both. Bob may already own both :ROTFL:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
For me this would be an easy choice ….the Nikon 58/1.4 . Weddings photographs are almost all about people and capturing the moment (mood) . I don t require or even desire the full sharpness that can be provided by essentially any of the alternatives . Nor am I seeking deep color saturation .

What I need is tone separation especially in the highlights , excellent resolution in the center and a pleasing bokeh . I also need a dead on calibration of the lens and an AF thats both accurate and reliable . This is what the Nikkor was designed for and it excels at high key portraiture .

In fact in a few hours I will be using my Df and the 58/1.4 at my nieces wedding .

archivue

"AF thats both accurate and reliable . This is what the Nikkor was designed for and it excels at high key portraiture . "

Nikon Can't beat the Sigma's dock station for calibration !

D&A

I've had the opportunity to use both quite extensively in a number of specific applications. As stated by others, Ive found the 58mm lens very desirable for wedding work. I also found it superior for nighttime landacapes where coma is kept to a minimum and point light sources are rendered well.

For general applications where across the board resolution is of primary importance, the Sigma gets gets my nod for lens of choice.

David (D&A)