The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon d810 and D4s AF compared in low light?

haring

Is there a photographer here in the forum who has both the Nikon d810 and D4s? I would like the hear a real life experience regarding AF performance in low light?

I know that the 810 is capable only 5fps. I am wondering whether the AF in the D810 is as fast and accurate in low light as the AF in the D4s?

Thanks so much!

Kyndel

Perhaps D4s is better ??

""Where we found the autofocusing to be problematic occurred during a Burlesque/Theatre performance that we went to where the lighting is equivalent to candle light and really not much else. To be fair and absolutely transparent, we were able to still shoot enough images that were focused well enough to please our clients. However, the focusing still wasn’t totally tack on when we looked at the images at 100%. Again, to be fair, clients won’t look at images at 100%.
Of the 297 images that we shot, we didn’t have as a keeper rate as high we usually do and part of that was due to inconsistent focusing problems. It also slowed us down many times and had us changing focusing spots to get the areas that were most in contrast instead of going for the eyes like many wedding/portrait/event photographers would do.
In comparison, the latest offerings from Sony and Olympus outperform the D810 in extremely low lit situations. Though during the day they are more or less neck in neck with Sony perhaps taking the shortest straw of the bunch.""

Read more at Review: Nikon D810

k-hawinkler

Perhaps D4s is better ??

""Where we found the autofocusing to be problematic occurred during a Burlesque/Theatre performance that we went to where the lighting is equivalent to candle light and really not much else. To be fair and absolutely transparent, we were able to still shoot enough images that were focused well enough to please our clients. However, the focusing still wasn’t totally tack on when we looked at the images at 100%. Again, to be fair, clients won’t look at images at 100%.
Of the 297 images that we shot, we didn’t have as a keeper rate as high we usually do and part of that was due to inconsistent focusing problems. It also slowed us down many times and had us changing focusing spots to get the areas that were most in contrast instead of going for the eyes like many wedding/portrait/event photographers would do.
In comparison, the latest offerings from Sony and Olympus outperform the D810 in extremely low lit situations. Though during the day they are more or less neck in neck with Sony perhaps taking the shortest straw of the bunch.""

Read more at Review: Nikon D810

Thanks. What lenses did you use?
Also, for Sony and Olympus, which cameras and lenses did you have in mind?

Kyndel

It is a quote from the review ( see above, the link) I found for you.

I am at the fence for this camera - like you probably ? (so I read all the reviews/tests;) )

I do not have any of the cameras, but 9 others ;)

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I found that the D810's AF performance really improved over D800's. It is much more accurate and reliable. I didn't have to do any AF fine-tune on all my Nikon AF lenses. For MF lens, the in-focus dot on D810 is also pretty reliable. When I had my D800, the AF is all over the places and I have to adjust almost every single lens and I was even more frustrated with my MF lenses. To me, Nikon made a big improve on D810.

As for D4s, I felt it's AF is even more reliable in low light. The files from D4s are also a bit cleaner. But I don't find D810 is lack in any substantial way. Other than the AF performance, the color rendition in both D810 and D4s improved over D800 and D4.