The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Otus 85mm, everything is wrong

wattsy

Does seem a bit unnecessary. There are already many superlative lenses available – 85/F1.4G or D, ZF 100/F2, 85/1.2L for Canon, etc. In truth, there are fine lenses already available now that should be able to satisfy any conceivable requirement that a "35mm system" user might have.

Quentin_Bargate

Great lens, waste of money. What you gain in optical excellence, you will probably loose in focus accuracy, given it is manual focus only. My Sigma 85mm is sharp,wide open. Sorry, but this looks to be a lens for the 1970's.

Steve P.

My 85mm f1.8 af-s g cost approx. 1/10th of the price and it's not too shabby in the I.Q. department. Oh yeah, and it autofocuses!:D
I'm not knocking the Otus, I'm sure it'll be superlative. I don't really see how it could be all THAT much better.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I don't know. I can't afford it of course, but 85mm is most used focal length on FX (some would say the only focal length I use on FX), so maybe it would even be worth the investment. If I can find the money. If the D750 will feature exchangeable focusing screens. Both are highly unlikely, so I shouldn't worry, should I?

But my real hope is that Nikon will launch a 20mm and a 135mm in their f/1.8 series. The five Nikkors combined will probably cost less than the Otus 85mm alone, and they do feature AF :)

Steve P.

Not so fussed about the Otus but a D750 with interchangeable focusing screens?...Now you're talking!:clap:

tashley

Subscriber Member
I've got no interest in the new Otus either: what we have already is good enough even for the obsessive amongst us. Oddly, I am on the verge of finding myself responding to the onslaught of extreme quality by getting less interested in it....

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Why do they make it? Because they can, and can do it very well if not the best, and therefore some people will have to own it!

End of day it appears that what Zeiss has figured out, is that the newest gen of high res DSLRs basically need lenses designed around a Medium Format platform to perform maximally.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Is for sure a great lens - anyway no interest - as original poster said

too heavy
too expensive
too big

and I do not like the yellow numbers - but that might be just me ;)

Swissblad

Not interested either - but - there must be a market, else they would not have made it.

Personally, I would like to see their range for the Fuji X expanded….. ;)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Why do they make it? Because they can, and can do it very well if not the best, and therefore some people will have to own it!

End of day it appears that what Zeiss has figured out, is that the newest gen of high res DSLRs basically need lenses designed around a Medium Format platform to perform maximally.
In reality, this is probably making life even harder for the medium format makers, and since Zeiss isn't anylonger invested in that part of the business, they have nothing to lose if one of those should accidentally fall off the cliff :eek:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Seriously Sigma will come out with a Art 85 and even today Nikon, Canon, Sony Zeiss and the ZE and ZF.2 lenses are all very good lenses. I would personally be very hard pressed to buy it considering my bet the Sigma 85 Art coming in the future at maybe 1200 will be outstanding given there 35 and 50 today. I'll wait it out

JohnBrew

I bought the Otus 55 and I'm very happy with the results. I won't buy the 85 because I feel the 85 1.4G which I already own is good enough, although it is a bitch to use manually as the throw is too short.
Zeiss may have a difficult time selling this one.
Frankly, I've grown weary of all the new offerings which offer no genuine in-the-field improvement over what I already have.

mmbma

why are people complaining about the price of Zeiss glass when it's still cheaper than Leica's, while offering equal if not better IQ?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I believe the "complaint" is a price v performance equation. There are already outstanding fast 85's that also AF, so it's a bit of a puzzle as to why Z would bring a gargantuan size and weight manual focus 85 of essentially similar performance to market against them at 3x the cost. Most of use would prefer they came out with something we cannot get, like a killer 17mm PC-Shift lens ;)

anGy

Many excellent 85mm already exist so it will be even more astonishing to see one that will stand out from the crowd.
According to the early reviews IQ is at Leica S lens level. I've personaly never seen better IQ (the 120mm S is extraordinary). Resolution, lack of weakness, transparency and, above all, lens drawing is simply addictive (if you're sensitive to it) and I just hope those 'sensitive' Nikon users will now also benefit from this kind of lens Graal.

Personally I think it needs a body with EVF to be used correctly (or a S like OVF) and should be water resistant.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I believe the "complaint" is a price v performance equation. There are already outstanding fast 85's that also AF, so it's a bit of a puzzle as to why Z would bring a gargantuan size and weight manual focus 85 of essentially similar performance to market against them at 3x the cost. Most of use would prefer they came out with something we cannot get, like a killer 17mm PC-Shift lens ;)
Jack kind of hit the mark here. Im using a Canon 17MM TSE on my Sony. Really this is where a company like Zeiss can make a serious dent in the market and thats speciality lenses that some just can't make well or make at all. My 17MM TSE is outstanding but what about folks shooting Nikons thats a big freaking market that Zeiss can tap. Not to mention macros and such that some OEMs are just not making. Another 85 to the mix in a area that we do have really well made 85s already. How about the straight up 18, 21, 24, 28 market that is so lackluster in just about every brand. Sure there are some good ones but this wide area can use all the help it can get.

Im sure it will get the reputation as the best lens on the planet . Really in all seriousness most people would not even be able to tap its potential. Certainly won't make you any better, just a gear slut whore. Oh wait thats me , never mind. LOL