The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800E in cold weather

Jeffg53

I have been in New Zealand using my D800E. Whenever the temperature gets close to or less than zero, I start getting issues with the Sandisk Extreme 64GB SD card. I'm assuming that the fault lies in the card as I've never heard of issues with the D800E in cold weather.

I thought that I would check here first before I start sticking the camera in the fridge with different cards in it.

M

mjr

I'd say it's the card, last winter I had my D800 and D800e out all night in -30c with zero issues. I'm using the smaller sandisk extreme 16gb cards.

Mat

Leigh

Per the operating manual, the D800E is only spec'd to operate down to 0° C.

The Sandisk Extreme 64GB SD card mentioned is spec'd to operate down to -25° C.

While most modern equipment will work properly outside its nominal operating range, there's certainly no guarantee or reasonable expectation of same.

- Leigh

Tim Ernst

Used mine several nights in a row at -30F in Alaska last March with no issues. Those specs don't really mean much in the real world...

Leigh

Those specs don't really mean much in the real world...
Apparently you don't understand what specifications are. They in fact mean EVERYTHING in the real world of product design.

Those start out as part of the product definition.
That's the package that goes to the engineering department so they can design it.

The content of that definition is critical to the choice of components that go into the product.

The resulting design is guaranteed to work over the specified range.

It will likely work over a wider range, as I mentioned previously, but that is not guaranteed, and doing so may cause damage.

- Leigh

Jeffg53

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I'm happy to accept things going wrong below 0c but this happens well above also. I'll try another card tonight. I think that an L bracket and metal barrel lenses add to the cold absorption.

Leigh

I have been in New Zealand using my D800E. Whenever the temperature gets close to or less than zero, I start getting issues...
I'm happy to accept things going wrong below 0c but this happens well above also.
I guess "close to zero" and "well above zero" are synonymous down there.

We really can't make meaningful suggestions when given ambiguous information. :eek: :loco:

- Leigh

Jeffg53

I just got another chance to try it out. At 7c, the D800E gives an error message about the card. I put in a 64GB Sandisk Ultra and off it went.