Site Sponsors

Thread: Anybody got (or getting) the D750 yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody got (or getting) the D750 yet?

Just curious to see how it is……
    1st reviews are quite positive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Anybody got (or getting) the D750 yet?

I am going to sell my D800 and move to the 750, keeping my 810. The 750 has come to my local dealer and I played with it yesterday and it seems to be a great camera. Much lighter than the D810, and smaller footprint.

I love the LCD, as I am a big fan of the tilt screen layout.

Paul
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It's on my list for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Grill has posted his views on his blog, as has John Sherman.

Looks like a neat little camera.....

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Those I've talked with locally who have used it are all very, very impressed.

Maybe when I have worn out the D700

Post Thanks / Like

A wedding photographer friend in Italy exchanged her Df for the 750 and is quite happy.

Post Thanks / Like

I just picked it up last week, I was a early adopter of D600 and got burned badly with oil spots, so I'll wait and see but I'm hopeful. The grip is one of the best new features its very deep and I find it very comfortable and reassuring. Overall the feel is good, maybe this is what the D610 should of been.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi ,
    I got my D750 last week after almost 5 years with D700 ( still have it). So far I'm very pleased. Files are very good, AF is quick, the whole camera is quick too. 2 SD cards, excellent video,etc . I'm still discovering though, but very happy so far. Here is a link with some of my first photographs with it:

Nikon D750 – first photographs… | Wilhelm Westergren Photography

If any questions feel free to ask.
    Cheers,
    William
    Website
    FB Page
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking good, William. I look forward to much more.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to be a really great camera - I am very interested. Maybe one of the last "classic" DSLRs we see ..... (from Nikon).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emmawest72 View Post
    Hi ,
    I got my D750 last week after almost 5 years with D700 ( still have it). So far I'm very pleased. Files are very good, AF is quick, the whole camera is quick too. 2 SD cards, excellent video,etc . I'm still discovering though, but very happy so far. Here is a link with some of my first photographs with it:

Nikon D750 – first photographs… | Wilhelm Westergren Photography

If any questions feel free to ask.
    Cheers,
    Nice images, William.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swissblad View Post
    Nice images, William.

Thanks!!!
    William
    Website
    FB Page

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll second that.

Some great images on your website, emmawest72.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielmoore View Post
    I'll second that.

Some great images on your website, emmawest72.
    Thanks Daniel!
    William
    Website
    FB Page

Post Thanks / Like

@ paul 2660:
    Just wondering - isn´t it a downgrade? Comming from d800 - moving to d750?
    What do you expect to be better? Faster autofokus? (I have also an d800 and d810, so I am quite intersting in keeping the d810 as a main camera and finding a second body / or stay with the d800)

___

www.geisselbrecht.biz

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Seems to be a really great camera - I am very interested. Maybe one of the last "classic" DSLRs we see ..... (from Nikon).
    Yup, this seems to be the F100 of Nikon DSLRs. As good as it gets at a reasonable price. The D810 is still better, more advanced etc., but also more expensive, larger and heavier without giving many, if any, advantages that will translate into better images. Just like the F5 before it.

This is an instant classic, and if I didn't already own a D700, I would have been all over it.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shot my first wedding with the D750 last week along with the D4. So far, a joy to use. I didn't realize how much I didn't really like holding the D4 until I started shooting with the D750. Small, light, unobtrusive! Very nice indeed. That said, once I'm actually in the process of shooting I always forget about size/weight issues.
    Focus acquisition is superb. Much better than the D4. Better than the D4s. -3EV means it will pretty much focus wherever you want. The new GRP AF system, also on the D4s and believe D810, so far seems to be working very well. Noise in low light is very good- I see an improvement over the D4, but testing is still going on. In-camera JPEGs look great, RAWs in low-light depend on which processor you're using- ACR seems to be the best so far for noise issues. I'm an Aperture die-hard, but it really doesn't come close to other software in terms of NR. At lower iSO files look gorgeous in Aperture- and I was working with converted DNGs.
    Buffer and FPS are lower than D4, and only 1/400th second as highest shutter. None are issues. Until they are. Usually not a problem. Seemed to take longer for images to show on the LCD which was a surprise, though I'm still looking into that.
    The big news is the small size/weight/form factor (GREAT grip) along with the much improved focus acquisition. In my opinion at least.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Yup, this seems to be the F100 of Nikon DSLRs. As good as it gets at a reasonable price. The D810 is still better, more advanced etc., but also more expensive, larger and heavier without giving many, if any, advantages that will translate into better images. Just like the F5 before it.

This is an instant classic, and if I didn't already own a D700, I would have been all over it.
    Today I had the chance to compare the D750 to the D810 at my dealer - they had a Nikon day organized. My findings were:

1) I clearly preferred holding the D810 - had not expected that
    2) the D810 OVF is FAR better than the D750 OVF. The OVF has the same HP view than the D4, the D750 has that much smaller and non HP view - a clear disadvantage for me!
    3) the D810 is very responsive (much better than the D800E) but still not as responsive as the D750. But for my applications the D810 is fast enough
    4) The D750 has an articulating LCD which is preferable to the fixed LCD of the D810 (I am used to articulating screens from my XT1 and EM1)

this made the D810 overall the clear (unexpected) winner for me!

Some other findings from today:

a) I had a look at some of the 1.8 Nikkor lens offerings and I liked them very much. Especially the 1.8/85 is a gem to use and optically much more advanced (less failures) than the 1.4/85 I own. Plus it is lighter and MUCH cheaper :-)
    b) The 1.8/35 is another winner in my eyes - similar to the 1.8/85
    c) 50mm - currently Nikon does not have an equivalent to the Sigma 1.4/50 ART lens - this is a real winner and would make a good combination together with the Nikkor 1.8 lenses
    d) The 1.8/20 is another great lens of the 1.8 series
    e) I would go with the 4/70-200 in the future if I did not have the 2.8 version. Maybe I will even sell the 2.8 as the 4 is so much more portable
    f) Finally I need to add the 80-400 VRII to my kit as my wildlife FF lens. This is clearly preferable to the 2.8/70-200 TC2 combo I used so far

Net, net - the D810 is for me what the D800E should have been. Plus move away from most of the fast Nikkor lenses and go to the much cheaper and in most cases optically better and lighter 1.8 variants.
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, good set of comments.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    e) I would go with the 4/70-200 in the future if I did not have the 2.8 version. Maybe I will even sell the 2.8 as the 4 is so much more portable
    I've done exactly this. I had the 2.8 but found I never used it because of its inconvenient size and weight. Sold it and bought the 4 a couple of months ago and the 4 has had more use since then than the 2.8 ever did.
    John L Dobson
    Editor, Ffestiniog Railway Magazine

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlancasterd View Post
    I've done exactly this. I had the 2.8 but found I never used it because of its inconvenient size and weight. Sold it and bought the 4 a couple of months ago and the 4 has had more use since then than the 2.8 ever did.
    I did the same when I switched from Nikon to Canon - got the 70-200/4.IS.
    For my purpose the f4 telezoom is the better option because I bring it more often and for outdoor its really fast enough and also allows shallow DOF on FF.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A few more observations on the D750. Color richness is not quite as robust as the D4, to my eye. Noise at high ISO preferable in D750 than D4, particularly in JPEG. In RAW D750 can show a bit more apparent noise, but it's more grain-like and less clumpy than the D4. And the entire image is sharper. Talking high here- testing 10,000-12,800.

One option for dealing with high ISO noise with RAW files is to try out Nikon's NX-D software. Not too elegant but it works, and NR is seriously good.

In terms of IQ, at least until 6400 I still trust the D4 more, it's looking like the files have a bit more juice to them. Though operationally love the D750 shooting hand-held and with primes- so comfortable due to small size, light weight, and really good grip.

I was considering selling the D4 for a 2nd D750, but at this point my own results are telling me to hold onto the D4- each body has the advantage in different situations.
    Last edited by John Kraus; 4th November 2014 at 08:14.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Update, comparing D750 to D4 files:

Testing at 10,000 ISO: D750 high ISO JPEG images look quite a bit better than D4. However D4 high ISO RAWs look better than D750- more chroma but less luminance noise. At least at 10,000.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the updates, John - the D4 is a serious piece of equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

I just and a look at the tangents blog of Neilvn, where he compares the high iso capabilities of current Nikon FX cameras..... and I have to admit, looking at the raw NEFs, 6400iso looks very impressive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I used my D750 for the first time at my Niece's wedding at the weekend and I thought I'd post an example of high ISO performance. This was shot at 12,800 ISO with 35mm f1.8 AF-S G attached, 1/60s at f5.6. I processed the NEF on a trial version of DXO Pro-Optics 10 using Prime de-noising, then sharpened a touch in Lightroom.

I found the D750 to focus accurately in low light and the NEF files seem very amenable to P.P. So far, I'm very happy to the extent that I've stopped casting envious glances towards our brothers and sisters over in the Sony A7 series forum! I'm sure it won't last though. It never does.