The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D810 refurb deal

dwood

Hi folks,

I don't shoot Nikon but received an email from Nikon USA today about a 10% discount program that started today. Looks like they have some D810's available and if I did the math correctly, the body price is $2,610. Thought this might be of interest for some here.

-Doug

Swissblad

Good news for this who want one.... but just an indication of who short-lived electronic devices have become.....

..... wonder if anybody recalls how the Nikon F3 actually increased in price over its ≈ 2 decade production life.

dwood

a computer that you attach a lens to...you get 3-6 months before prices drop like a stone

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I think the price dumps are more a reflection of who is using what to make images with... IOW, cell phones are getting pretty darn good image makers, and they sure as heck are convenient.

Are they serious photographer's tools? I don't know for sure, but I do know I still like my full-frame DSLR and stable of look glass for my uses -- but then I also know that's my creative choice... I also know I *rarely* ever use my little shirt-pocket P&S Oly anymore and pull out my iPhone instead.

JCT

I also know I *rarely* ever use my little shirt-pocket P&S Oly anymore and pull out my iPhone instead.
I had this exact discussion with my nephew over the holidays, he's an avid photographer and always looks forward to visiting and going through my gear. He shoots exclusively with a Canon DSLR and wanted something smaller to travel with. Quite the wide-ranging discussion that clearly bored the other folks at the end of the table to tears, but the upshot was that he was probably more well-served by starting with one of the mirrorless systems vs a P&S - thanks to his "always in his pocket" iPhone.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Grey market now listed on NR as $2299.-

Crazy….

Yeah, but the 6th Avenue Express offer on eBay was only up for a short while, the price quickly went back to $3,299.95.
And buying Grey Imports can be a living nightmare, everywhere in the world.

I have tried it once here in Europe.
At first the communication was quick and friendly.
Right until I had paid the money, then the communication just froze.

I was on beforehand promised several things that just didn't hold true, and it took me forever and a lot of efforts and threats to finally get my money back.
Luckily I had carefully done a lot of correspondence documentation and photographic documentation all along the way in the process, so that I was able to prove exactly what had happened.
Never again.

Mr.Gale

I think the price dumps are more a reflection of who is using what to make images with... IOW, cell phones are getting pretty darn good image makers, and they sure as heck are convenient.

Are they serious photographer's tools? I don't know for sure, but I do know I still like my full-frame DSLR and stable of look glass for my uses -- but then I also know that's my creative choice... I also know I *rarely* ever use my little shirt-pocket P&S Oly anymore and pull out my iPhone instead.
When I was on an African Safari in 2012 ~half the people in our group were using an iPhone.
Mr.Gale