The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Df Gold Edition, kind of cool actually

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
JCT,

I can understand Jorgen's decision on simplification -- I did it a few years ago myself and in most ways, it was (and still is) quite liberating. But in a few others, it can be restrictive. I am close to obtaining a mirrorless (A7r specifically) to allow me to mount some specialized glass that is not otherwise compatible with Nikon. Horses for courses :D

But all that said, I am *VERY* happy with my D810/Df pair of bodies, and frankly they provide all I need for 98% of my shooting. However for myself, a key aspect of the Df is the way the sensor renders -- just a look to it that is so classic it's hard not to relish. If it weren't for that little aspect, I would probably do 96% of what I wanted to with the D810 all by itself.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Nikon is making some terrific DSLR s ...depending on your favorite subjects and desired features you have some great choices .

Carolyn (wife) has used her D600 now for almost two years with both family and travel captures . The color produced by the 24mp sensor is unbeatable in the Nikon line ...D600/D610 and now the D750 . She will be getting the D750 from Santa as she really wants that adjustable screen and better video . I can t touch her photographs of our grandson (21 months ) .

I ve been using the other three Df ; D4/S ;D800/810 . For sports you can t beat the D4s and now I have one getting ready for Polo and Surfing in Florida . The D810 is used with Leica R and Zeiss lenses ...I ve found with a little practice I can shoot plenty fast enough to use manual focus lenses . The 36MP file is as good as it gets below MF . Keep in mind that the manual focus lenses can be small ..like the Leica R 28/2.8 or the 50/1.4 .

The Df is a terrific street camera ....my test in NYC Soho ...mid day SAT . I could shoot at will and never got a 2nd look all day . With the right settings its point and shoot (face detection AF C) . The files are great for street ...they have edge (as opposed to the D810 files which I would describe as smooth ) ....black and white conversions work well with the Df . The Df subbed as my action camera this summer an I have 10K captures at the US Open and Road Atlanta ..its not a D4S but you would have to be a real Sports Shooter to notice .

The big question for the one camera is Df verse D750 and its a tough choice . The Df feels much more substantial (more metal?) even if its lighter . The sensors are different ....if I was doing a lot of people pictures ..I would go for the smoother rendering of the 24mp sensor . If I was shooting in more difficult lighting ..on the street ...night and maybe some action ...the Df /D4 sensor maybe a better fit . If you shoot a lot at ISO1600-3200 the 16mp sensor shines .

JCT

The Df is a terrific street camera ....my test in NYC Soho ...mid day SAT . I could shoot at will and never got a 2nd look all day . With the right settings its point and shoot (face detection AF C) . The files are great for street ...they have edge (as opposed to the D810 files which I would describe as smooth ) ....black and white conversions work well with the Df . The Df subbed as my action camera this summer an I have 10K captures at the US Open and Road Atlanta ..its not a D4S but you would have to be a real Sports Shooter to notice .

The big question for the one camera is Df verse D750 and its a tough choice . The Df feels much more substantial (more metal?) even if its lighter . The sensors are different ....if I was doing a lot of people pictures ..I would go for the smoother rendering of the 24mp sensor . If I was shooting in more difficult lighting ..on the street ...night and maybe some action ...the Df /D4 sensor maybe a better fit . If you shoot a lot at ISO1600-3200 the 16mp sensor shines .
This is very helpful - I have a 6-yr-old D700 and finally decided to upgrade to the D810 (skipped the D800) and originally figured I would keep the D700 as my second body. But I am not a pro and in the past if I carried 2 cameras it was because they complimented each other in some way. For example, carrying an XT-1 with the 15-55 and my Sony Rx1r. The D810 / D700 pair, IMO, don't complement that well for me. Since the D700 has a low actuation count it should sell for a decent price - so I will likely go Df or D750. Leaning Df and your account is helpful in thinking this through. The D810/Df pair seem like fun - as Jack has pointed out.

First step complete, though - ordered the D810 this AM to take advantage of the $300 savings. :D