Site Sponsors

Thread: Df Gold Edition, kind of cool actually

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Df Gold Edition, kind of cool actually

No, I wouldn't mind one of these, and the price seems reasonable as well. I wonder if they will accept my "Vintage Black" D300 as payment

Df ???? Gold Edition - ??????????? | ?????????

Nikon Japan Announces a Limited Edition, Gold-Adorned Version of the Black Nikon Df

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Df Gold Edition, kind of cool actually

A pity they still offer the same old strap.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I have to admit, it looks kind cool….

Post Thanks / Like

Gold and plastic. Never really a good combination IMO.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

This actually looks better than the standard models and is tastefully done. I'd actually buy one of these ifI were in the market for a Nikon.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I admit I like it too -- but it won't make better images than my silver and black one, so I'd have difficulty swapping to it for the dollar loss. But if I ever need a replacement...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dammit. I keep coming back and looking at this camera...
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    ... wondering if its images will have that lovely golden shine ...

Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    ... wondering if its images will have that lovely golden shine ...

Yes, most certainly!

If I buy one of these, I will keep taking it out of the box (once in a while), snap an image of it to check before returning it back to the box.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Ditto - if it ever becomes available locally…...

Post Thanks / Like

And of course you can already buy some on Ebay…..

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm going to HAVE to put this thread onto my ignore list. Must not continue to eye the beauty of the black/gold edition ...

Darn it!
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This post motivated me to pull out my plain ole black Df and shoot some with it. Due to the size of the Sigma 50 ART, the above pic also motivated to pull the "limited edition" 50/1.8g that came with the Df body out of the box and actually shoot with it -- heretofore, I'd just ignored it and left it in the box... How can I convey the "wow" feeling of "newfoundjoy" in some simple, casual photography?

Jack

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That 50/1.8 is a perfect balance on the Df, as are the AIS classics. I also find that the 50/1.8G is ideal on my F6 too

There is still something special about the Df ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's a beaut.

This forum is really dangerous - been having so much fun just shooting with my Nikon again that I am starting to wonder whether a D810 + Df combo (the later as my traveling cam) makes more sense than D810 + my current Fuji XT-1 setup.

Argh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

JCT,

I know this may sound strange, but while the control layout of the Df body appears totally different than the D810 by looking at the pics, the actual ergos have most main controls fall at essentially the same finger and thumb points they do on the 810 and there really is not much of a usability difference while actually shooting other than weight(!) And I realize that by looking pictures of both bodies anybody will find this an almost unbelievable statement, so hopefully other Df/800/810 owners will chime in with their experiences
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I typically shoot in manual mode and set the exposure to 1/3 stop setting on the dial. In this configuration I can set exposure via the rear dial, I don't have to bother with the exposure compensation lock, I can also set auto ISO too if I need that flexibility. With G lenses the front dial is a little different but still falls pretty easily under the forefinger. With lenses with aperture rings there's no need to touch that control at all.

You can definitely customize the Df to make it really user friendly and not be encumbered by the control locks if you don't want to. Also using the programmable function buttons on the front in combination with your own custom menu you can make even automation functions easy and simple to perform. I program the front custom button to bring up AIS lens selection in combination with the rear dial which makes swapping older glass simple as well.

As Jack said, it really isn't that different in control layout use than the mainstream bodies and functions you expect on the D800/810 are where you are used to finding them. Best of all, despite parts of the D600 system being present, they set up image review to be identical to the professional D series so that you can program the rear ok center button to zoom on review - that alone was one of the reasons I got rid of my D600!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Graham -- good point on the center command 100% view -- it is one main reason I bought the Df to begin with! (It is precisely why I never bought the 600/610, and if it had been missing that feature, I would not have bought the Df either.)
    Jack

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Completely agree with Graham and Jack about setting up one touch image review magnification which was lacking on the D600 and 610. I was sure it was intentionally omitted and that when the D610 was released they would have included this function. To my surprise they didn't and I too couldn't develop a quick workflow in concert shooting without it.

Thankfully the Df had it or I would have bypassed that camera too.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's an interesting point, Jack - you're correct, I would have assumed they were very different regarding controls. But I have noted from poking around on various forums that the Df/D810 seem to be a popular combo.

I'm sort of a nut regarding "feel" - when I was at B&H last week (and I did buy the 35mm Sigma ART, BTW ) I spent quite a bit of time at the Nikon booth handling the D750 and D810 and it was funny how I immediately melded with the D810 coming from the D700. Felt like an old friend. Didn't fiddle with the Df - argh.

Good to know that the zoom to 100% is there on the Df - my eyes are not getting any better. Since buying a Df would require selling the D700, I guess I will see how I feel about using the Df as a second body. My guess is it would be fine. I am very intrigued re taking Jorgen's path and going back to 100% Nikon , but simplicity is starting to feel like a nice idea. Must be age .

I'm heading to the Middle East on Sunday, just taking the Fuji XT-1 + 18-55 (and probably the 14) and the RXR1 (goes everywhere with me). I don't know if I am as brave as Jorgen re: selling off my mirrorless kit, but I will see what I think after this trip. Hmmmmm.

JT

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

JCT,

I can understand Jorgen's decision on simplification -- I did it a few years ago myself and in most ways, it was (and still is) quite liberating. But in a few others, it can be restrictive. I am close to obtaining a mirrorless (A7r specifically) to allow me to mount some specialized glass that is not otherwise compatible with Nikon. Horses for courses

But all that said, I am *VERY* happy with my D810/Df pair of bodies, and frankly they provide all I need for 98% of my shooting. However for myself, a key aspect of the Df is the way the sensor renders -- just a look to it that is so classic it's hard not to relish. If it weren't for that little aspect, I would probably do 96% of what I wanted to with the D810 all by itself.
    Jack

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nikon is making some terrific DSLR s ...depending on your favorite subjects and desired features you have some great choices .

Carolyn (wife) has used her D600 now for almost two years with both family and travel captures . The color produced by the 24mp sensor is unbeatable in the Nikon line ...D600/D610 and now the D750 . She will be getting the D750 from Santa as she really wants that adjustable screen and better video . I can t touch her photographs of our grandson (21 months ) .

I ve been using the other three Df ; D4/S ;D800/810 . For sports you can t beat the D4s and now I have one getting ready for Polo and Surfing in Florida . The D810 is used with Leica R and Zeiss lenses ...I ve found with a little practice I can shoot plenty fast enough to use manual focus lenses . The 36MP file is as good as it gets below MF . Keep in mind that the manual focus lenses can be small ..like the Leica R 28/2.8 or the 50/1.4 .

The Df is a terrific street camera ....my test in NYC Soho ...mid day SAT . I could shoot at will and never got a 2nd look all day . With the right settings its point and shoot (face detection AF C) . The files are great for street ...they have edge (as opposed to the D810 files which I would describe as smooth ) ....black and white conversions work well with the Df . The Df subbed as my action camera this summer an I have 10K captures at the US Open and Road Atlanta ..its not a D4S but you would have to be a real Sports Shooter to notice .

The big question for the one camera is Df verse D750 and its a tough choice . The Df feels much more substantial (more metal?) even if its lighter . The sensors are different ....if I was doing a lot of people pictures ..I would go for the smoother rendering of the 24mp sensor . If I was shooting in more difficult lighting ..on the street ...night and maybe some action ...the Df /D4 sensor maybe a better fit . If you shoot a lot at ISO1600-3200 the 16mp sensor shines .
    Roger Dunham
    http://rogerdunham.com/
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    The Df is a terrific street camera ....my test in NYC Soho ...mid day SAT . I could shoot at will and never got a 2nd look all day . With the right settings its point and shoot (face detection AF C) . The files are great for street ...they have edge (as opposed to the D810 files which I would describe as smooth ) ....black and white conversions work well with the Df . The Df subbed as my action camera this summer an I have 10K captures at the US Open and Road Atlanta ..its not a D4S but you would have to be a real Sports Shooter to notice .

The big question for the one camera is Df verse D750 and its a tough choice . The Df feels much more substantial (more metal?) even if its lighter . The sensors are different ....if I was doing a lot of people pictures ..I would go for the smoother rendering of the 24mp sensor . If I was shooting in more difficult lighting ..on the street ...night and maybe some action ...the Df /D4 sensor maybe a better fit . If you shoot a lot at ISO1600-3200 the 16mp sensor shines .
    This is very helpful - I have a 6-yr-old D700 and finally decided to upgrade to the D810 (skipped the D800) and originally figured I would keep the D700 as my second body. But I am not a pro and in the past if I carried 2 cameras it was because they complimented each other in some way. For example, carrying an XT-1 with the 15-55 and my Sony Rx1r. The D810 / D700 pair, IMO, don't complement that well for me. Since the D700 has a low actuation count it should sell for a decent price - so I will likely go Df or D750. Leaning Df and your account is helpful in thinking this through. The D810/Df pair seem like fun - as Jack has pointed out.

First step complete, though - ordered the D810 this AM to take advantage of the $300 savings.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting points and tips, gents - thanks.