The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Magic lens for Nikon..................?

trioderob

lets talk about lens that have "magic."

you guys know what I am talking out......lens that might not test well but because of some special factor such as field curvature, type of blades, funky coating or whatever they have some special quality that while you cant put your finger on it never the less you are drawn to

things such as converted Leica lens, old 1.2's, radioactive element lens, old 4 element tessars, triplets,........

JCT

Boy, all the love for the 85 1.4G is making me seriously consider selling my old 85mm 1.4D and picking up the G version since that is is one of my all-time favorite lenses/focal lengths.

For those who have used both - opinion? This would be for a D810 and eventually a Df.

Jil

V

Vivek

lets talk about lens that have "magic."

you guys know what I am talking out......lens that might not test well but because of some special factor such as field curvature, type of blades, funky coating or whatever they have some special quality that while you cant put your finger on it never the less you are drawn to

things such as converted Leica lens, old 1.2's, radioactive element lens, old 4 element tessars, triplets,........
I have a rare 9.8cm f/1 Wild-Heerbrugg lens that was a one of kind for Nikon. It still is but is more used on Sony mirrorless. From my number, at least 15 have been made. So, there is a bit of hope of finding one.

Window light by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

9.8cm f/1, Nikon D70

From what I could glean, it is a double Gauss construction with a medium format coverage, made for aerial camera use.

V

Vivek

A more accessible DX Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8 fisheye (still could be used on FF with the hood shaved off) with its close focus ability.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Hacked D80 (720nm filter), DX Nikkor 10.5mm, false color infrared

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I often find that some of the older Nikkor lenses have the "look" I search for when doing personal photography. The 300mm f/4 AF is such a lens, as is the 105mm f/1.8 AiS (Those are the two I own that have these characteristics). It must be said though, that this "look" isn't always useful when doing commercial work, where a more "clinical" approach is often preferred. I'll try out the 105mm on the D810 during the weekend.

Two other lenses that clearly qualify are the 105 and 135mm f/2.0 AF. I'm sure Nikon will launch a new, sharper 135mm soon, but it will probably also be more expensive, larger and heavier, and the question is if the over all look of the photo will gain. I'm very impressed with the sharpness and bokeh of the Zeiss/Sony 135mm f/1.8, but I'm not sure if it produces better photos than the older Nikkor when all aspects are taken into consideration.

Probably my most used lens the last few years has been the "Pocket Rocket" Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 (150mm eqv.). It's a perfect lens in every way, pocketable and focuses faster than a space ship, to a degree that it gets a bit boring sometimes. It produces excellent photos, and/but is very predictable. I look forward to something less predictable for a change, on a very predictable camera, the D810.

Ah.... another lens that has a lovely personality is the Zeiss CY 85mm f/1.4. It's not as sharp as the more recent ZF.2 version, but it produces very, very lovely photos. It's hard to modify it for F-mount (not possible with a Leitax conversion kit), but somebody, somewhere, probably in Japan, is doing that, and they appear on the Great Big Auction Site now and then. I would love to find out who does it, since I have one and can't use it for anything right now unless the mount is changed. Anybody in the know?

dmeckert

I've long thought the 105vr was capable of special when you weren't expecting it. Not an artwork every shot, but when it deigns to let you have one it really pops.