The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Time capsule camera - with a nice lens!

JCT

OK, not 100% digital but it *did* help me decide to pick up a Df, so I think it counts...

Was going through my eventual darkroom this AM - when we moved in my husband put everything he *thought* might be camera-related in there, it's taking forever to go through it. Found a very carefully packed box with my late father's FT3 in it! Original beat-up strap and all. I remember going to buy it with him when I was a teenager. I have his Leica M3 - but I wasn't allowed to really use that ;), but this old Nikkormat was our shared SLR. LOL, the shutter is so loud it frightened my cat.

After I was done being all teary over it I realized that it had an original 50mm F/2 AI on it in beautiful shape (still had the original Nikon protective filter on it).

So I was leaning Df but now I am sure - will really be something else to take this little lens out on the Df. :)

Funny way to choose a digital SLR....

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Sweet! Nice to find an heirloom like that and especially so when it's one you can resurrect!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The Df and older Nikon glass seems to be a match made in heaven. So nice to get to reuse the 50/1.2 with the added benefit of emotional connections.

I don't know whether Nikon actually did anything or it's just my wishful thinking but I far prefer the images from my old Nikon glass using the Df than I do from my Sony A7's (A7II, A7s, A7r) or the D600 before that.

Swissblad

Graham, care to share some - some of us are curious….and would like to put our old Nikkor glass to good use.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Folks, feel free to start a new thread here, maybe title it something like "Digital Nikon with manual lenses" -- ?

gurtch

I don't have a Df, but do have a D800E. That camera allows you to enter focal length, and max aperture for a half dozen or so lenses. I have in my collection a 28mm f3.5 Nikkor-H, with original metal hood, a 50mm f2 Nikkor-H, a 135mm f2.8 Nikkor-Q, and one of my all time favorites a 55mm f3.5 Micro-Nikkor. I may just throw the lenses and camera body in a bag and wander around on the beach. All take the same 52mm filters, so only need to take one polarizer.
Dave in NJ

JCT

And, JCT, I hope you will at some point also show us a beautiful portrait of your Nikkormat FT3 in this thread :angel:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/alternative-forum/30369-photos-alt-gear.html
I will- enroute to Morocco at present, but I should have a D810 waiting for me on my return. Sounds like a great first portrait with a new camera!

And I agree with Jack - I would love to see a bunch of manual lens shots on Nikon Digitals. My sister's "assignment" while I am gone is to see if she ended up with any of my father's lenses - she's a Canon shooter so she will hand them over. She's pretty sure there is a 105mm f/2.8 AI somewhere.... :)

Jil