The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital Nikon with manual lenses

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The meaning of life, the one that got lost sometime during the sixties in the western world, is just starting in Myeik, Myanmar. Or maybe they always had it?

D810 with 105mm f/1.8 Ais and Tamron 1.4x @ f/8/11

Evanjoe610

forgotI never bought into a Digital SLR for the longest time. Sad to say that I did not like what I saw as the final image when it first came. I stuck to the Canon P&S cameras and my Nikon F100 along with my prime lenses. Yes, I shot film for the longest time, but always used the Kodak PhotoCD as a starting point if I choose to digitalize a larger file for proofing. I hope that you had guess by now that I do not make my living off of my photography, as it's a hobby interest of mine. For years I had access to high end drum scanners (Hell & Crosfield) and flatbed scanners (Scitex). Proofers were not a problem again as I had access to Scitex IRIS,Fuji PictroProofer, Canon Proofer, and finally Epson proofers.

I waited for a while ot invest either in an affordable digital SLR that would not have issue softness, edge-to-edge sharpenss, and finally color fidelity. All that lost time while several of my friends went through 8-10 Nikon digital SLR in search of the perfect tool. One good friend dumped all 4 Nikon DSLR & prime lenses to buy into a Canon EOS 5D MKIII.

He understood that I had a lot of manual prime and AF prime lenses that I bought over the years and did not want to start fresh. he advised me to look into the D610 or the D700, as he understood I wanted Full Frame, but with a limited exposure to any downsize if I decided that ti did not work for me.

After reading several threads on other forums and here, I purchased my first, but not LAST Nikon DSLR to start my march to regain my insanity. I bought into an older reecently discontinued D7000 with 18-140mm bundle lines kit form Best Buys for $629.95 yesterday.

I know that my learning curve would be quite steep, but i hope to post once I "master" the controls of the camera for my Manual Lenses and the newer AF-D prime lenses.

How does the Tokina AT-X AF 17mmF3.5 render on this camera? I love the look form the ultra wide lenses that Nikon offered and bought them over the years as manual prime (15mmF5.6 AI, 15mmF3.5AIS, 20mmF3.5 UD AI, 24mmF2m8 AIS< and 28mmF2.8 AIS. My longest prime lens consists of 105mmF2.5AI, 135mmF2.0AIS< and 180mmF2.8 ED AIS.

As you can see majority are all manual prime. I have for AF the following lenses:
24mmF2.8 non D, 35mm F2.0 D, 50mmF1.8 D, 50mmF1.4 D, 60mmF2.8 D, and 85mm F1.8 D.

I love this thread as it encourage me to move forward with my purchase. Eventually I hope to acquire a FX body at a later time. For now, I have a steep learning curve.

Thank you to all for posting your results and knowledge that I learn from!

Evan

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Enjoy your D7000, Evan. It's a good camera. Your wide angle lenses obviously won't be as wide on that camera as on your F100, but as a compensation, your longer lenses will be longer :)

The Tokina 17mm has quite a following, and is one of the lenses I will have to try. If it's as good as some photographers claim, it's quite a bargain. Try it out on your new camera, and see how it works. An eqv. of 26mm is still very useful.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
More from Myeik.

One of the fascinating things about travel is, I meet people that I've never met before, and although we can't communicate verbally, we can still have great fun. And we do. If more people could do just that, meet, have a cup of coffee, take some selfies and not worry about religion, race, culture and other sources of conflict... it's a dream, a naive dream in the mind of a naive, ageing man :loco:

D810 with 28mm f/2.0 AiS @ f/2.8

emmawest72

Hi ,

I use AIS lenses all the time on my Nikons. Love the smooth focus and the excellent build quality. One of my favorites is the 50mm 1.4 AIS. Very dreamy.

Here is one of my favorite pics with this lens ( on D700 )

Here is another one with a 28mm AIS also on a D700 ( and some profoto lights )

Very sharp and nice . I did a big print and it looks great:)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I stopped at the bottom of some stairs in Myeik that seemed to lead to a temple. At the top, there was a little school and dwellings for the students with a few monks working as teachers and a small pagoda also. In the backyard, they had this:

D810 with 28mm f/2.0 AiS @ f/2.8

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
A friend of mine needed a couple of photos of herself, so we went for a walk in the park :)

D810 with Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 @ f/4