The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital Nikon with manual lenses

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
So here it is, the new thread for manual lenses on digital Nikon cameras. My first contribution is with the 105mm f/1.8 AiS with the D810. At f/5.6, and also at f/4, the lens shows amazing detail and sharpness. At f/2.8, it's still very useable. F/2.0 and 1.8 gives rather a rather "dreamy" look on this camera, but is still useable for certain purposes.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here's a lens that I bought many years ago, but more or less forgot about since I was using DX format cameras, the 28mm f/2.0 AiS. Many say that it's mediocre because corners aren't sharp at f/2.0, but who cares anyway? Corners won't be in focus at f/2 under any circumstances, unless I were shooting brick walls, which I don't.

It sharpens up nicely already at f/2.8 and from f/4 it's great. My most used lens on the D810 so far. Here's one at f/8:

Godfrey

Love seeing all these photos with Nikkors and Zeiss F-mount lenses. :)
You'll motivate me to load my F if you keep this up ...

G

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Ah, forgot about the PC-E's being manual focus ;)

D800, PC-E 24, 1/2 sec at f8, ISO 100, no tilt:

D800E, 24 PC-E, 5 sec at F8, ISO 100, 1 degree tilt:

gurtch

This is a fun thread. As many have pointed out, certain "old" lenses have a "look" to the way they draw an image. However, I for one, have become spoiled as to how good modern computer designed, multi coated lenses are. Some "old" lenses were really not very good. I put an old 135mm f2.8 Nikkor-Q (AI'd) on a D800E. The lens has a built in sliding hood, which I used. ISO 400 1/160 sec, f11. To add to the fun, I processed the RAW image twice in Exposure plug in. Once to emulate Kodachrome 25, and one to emulate Fuji 50. Even though I used the hood, look at the veiling flair on the edges; especially the right edge (that's where the sun was).
Thanks for the modern lenses, although I know, carefully used, lens traits/flaws can be used in artistic ways.
Keep them coming!
Dave in NJ

SHV

"I for one, have become spoiled as to how good modern computer designed,..."
That's been my limited experience, that the performance of film era 'blad lenses fall off when pushed to higher resolutions. I got a 'blad Zeiss 100mm 3.5 today and due to rain did a few shot off of a covered deck. I did a non-scientific comparison of the 100mm and the closest Nikon prime that I have, the 85mm 1.4. The second is a tight crop with the 100mm and the third is a similar crop with the 85mm. I think that the old 'blad did quite well.

Steve